Author Topic: Jua-Acu (Solanum oocarpum) is a Subtropical Species  (Read 2104 times)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Jua-Acu (Solanum oocarpum) is a Subtropical Species
« on: March 23, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »
Fellow Fruit People-

Just wanted to post and give an update on this new and interesting Solanum species that I acquired from Marcos last year-

I got 5 seeds, all of which sprouted, and have 2 of the plants to forum member AndreasGia and kept 3 for myself- (for those who remember I was once going to auction one of these but got greedy and decided to see how it would do in the soil here)

I can say that this species is truly subtropical with these ~1 year old seedlings surviving unprotected in the winter this year. They experienced leaf drop and tip damage but both of the exposed plants are coming back strong now.

We didn't get any flowers last year but given the quick bounce back we are hoping to have seeds and maybe even fruit to share with the forum this year

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Jua-Acu (Solanum oocarpum) is a Subtropical Species
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 06:12:07 PM »
Glad your cold-hardiness experiment with this species was successful. Do you have any idea what its fruit tastes like, particularly in comparison to other Solanums? My cursory search turned up scientific papers about its potential medicinal uses but not anything regarding fruit taste or quality.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 06:16:28 PM »
It is quite rare from what I understand-

the only thing I know is from Marcos (huertasurbanas) himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jBZ1umuszw

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 10:10:56 PM »
Good to know. Thanks for posting this information. It would be nice to have more regular posts like this for many other rare fruiting plants.  The video taste description is a nice supplement as well.

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 09:09:57 AM »
It is quite rare from what I understand-

the only thing I know is from Marcos (huertasurbanas) himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jBZ1umuszw

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1125942424/super-rare-and-tasty-brazilian-sunberry?click_key=d9045dba3a33c73a6de55f9ccd2f991afa6bfc24%3A1125942424&click_sum=86b556b7&ref=shop_home_recs_2&crt=1

Someone on Etsy managed to get it to fruit and is currently selling seeds and cuttings. Also has a video of the fruit on the listing.
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 11:06:27 AM »
Hello: you have to be careful about two things: first, it is a very rare species, originally obtained from Helton by a collector from my country, then I received a plant, I had fruits after a few years because it took a long time to produce. Be careful because it grows very very fast, it gets out of control in creeper mode and climbs all the trees in your garden! It is not for small spaces.

Secondly, it is not known if the fruit does not have certain toxic components, according to Helton there are many nutritional studies on the matter, but a friend of mine says that he got poisoned, so you have to be careful. It leaves my lips itchy, so it may be true about its toxicity.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:14:07 AM »
One of mine took off once I planted it in a tomato bed a couple months ago. It looks almost like a different species from yours, eloicious. Mine grows as a stocky upright plant, leaves around a foot long. I have it in a tomato cage, but don't think it needs it. I think I planted the seeds in February last year, kept them small in pots over the winter. Another I planted in-ground died back to the ground, resprouted, but is still small. I noticed the first flower buds today. Hopefully it's not toxic. The buds are just above the bend point:

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »
Hello: you have to be careful about two things: first, it is a very rare species, originally obtained from Helton by a collector from my country, then I received a plant, I had fruits after a few years because it took a long time to produce. Be careful because it grows very very fast, it gets out of control in creeper mode and climbs all the trees in your garden! It is not for small spaces.

Secondly, it is not known if the fruit does not have certain toxic components, according to Helton there are many nutritional studies on the matter, but a friend of mine says that he got poisoned, so you have to be careful. It leaves my lips itchy, so it may be true about its toxicity.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 04:59:50 PM by Filozophr »
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 08:26:02 PM »
First flower buds never developed, then dropped. Second set are doing nothing, but a third set are quickly turning into flowers. Hope to get some fruit before the frost probably kills it. I read they fruit in June in Brazil, so up here that'd be December. Also hope they're not toxic...

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 11:28:01 PM »
cheers Nate!

I will post an update on mine around halloween

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 12:32:09 PM »
The first set of flowers opened missing most of the parts, now the second set is opening the same way. This was after I pulled back the sepals to show the inside of the flower. Does not seem promising.

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 06:49:43 PM »
Reviving this thread as I cannot find much information on them. I was recently intrigued by the newest Weird Explorer video on it. I ordered a few starter plants and I am looking forward to receiving them. I am a little concerned about the mention of toxicity? Anyone growing and eating this?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 10:30:19 PM »
I'll post some pics of mine tomorrow-

Had flowers similar to nates this year, not sure if they developed properly, or if male and female are needed- I have 2 in ground- one in full sun and one in almost full shade, both are doing well

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 04:15:15 PM »
Two things- I notice this thread was from before the storm in December of this year- the plants survived 18*f unprotected but are planted in mulch and came back from the base

This species also appears to be very drought and heat tolerant- I have it on minimal irrigation and the temps have been over 100*F for the past two weeks and the plant is surviving the Texas heat and Sun which is not true for many other things like the Yangmei

Pictures as promised-

Almost as tall as Bananas

Thorny Bastards-

The one in the shade is over 6ft tall

Some flowers from back in June

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 08:46:01 PM »
Very awesome! I have two plants on the way. I am curious if it needs a male/female to fruit.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2023, 08:55:21 PM »
some updates-

the plant is almost certainly Dioecious, and there are hermaphroditic plants

the evidence!

Flower 1

Flower 2

Immature flower

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2023, 11:01:17 PM »
Mine keeps putting out flowers like your number 1. I'm debating chopping it down. Are both those flowers on the same plant? It doesn't seem to me like the incomplete flowers are male, just missing the sexual parts. I read tomatoes can do that under the wrong conditions... idk. It might be a good rootstock for tomatoes.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2023, 07:29:06 AM »
Yes both flowers are on the same plant Nate- the second form has only appeared this year for the first time though-

The are certainly getting the side-eye from me as well, if they dont produce soon, or if the fruit isn't good, ther will get the chop from me as well

juaacu

• USA, North Carolina, Brunwick County, Zone 8
    • View Profile
    • Rare Garden
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2024, 09:56:59 AM »
Hello! 
New member here replying to an old thread.  I'll start another one afterward but I just wanted to say thanks for this thread.

I have been growing Jua-Acu for 2 years in North Carolina, zone8, USA.  I live near the coast. 

This thread had the most information on the plant in any one place that I could find, so big thanks!

Jua Acu is a perennial here and will survive the zone 8 winter. After dying back to the ground around December it will re-emerge in March-April. 

My plants fruited successfully and I can say that the fruit is delicious and worth the hard work. 
I will share more with pics. 

Thanks again,
Ryan

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2024, 12:21:28 PM »
Glad to hear the fruit is good. Only one plant?

Mine didn't even lose its leaves this winter. It's like 8 ft tall with a dozen stems. Idk how much more time to give it to produce complete flowers. It's budding up now, last chance I think.

raregarden

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Rare Garden
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2024, 04:02:30 PM »
Hello Nate!

I didn't realize I had created a seperate account here, (too much going on) this is the OP.  Apologies to the moderators as I didn't realize it!

The fruit tastes very similar to kiwi, with a very slight grapefruit taste.

I planted around 20 seeds from Santa Cruz Fruit growers, almost all of them germinated and survived.  Well some of my experiments took some of them out hehe.  The germination rate was great though. 

2 years later I have around 12 or so plants and just started alot of new seeds as well. 

For your plants that haven't flowered, try a very strong fertilizer like 20-20-20 that worked for me.

I documented the whole experiment in a paste in the general Tropical Fruit Forum area.

~Ryan

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2024, 08:23:38 PM »
Great info Ryan!

Lots of flowers here but no fruit yet- I will throw some fertilizer around the base of mine to see if I can get fruit this year

The apparently annual texas storms knocked mine back to the ground again this winter but they are already coming back