Author Topic: Tala (Celtis ehrenbergiana) is a Subtropical Species  (Read 475 times)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Tala (Celtis ehrenbergiana) is a Subtropical Species
« on: March 23, 2022, 08:18:58 PM »
This is the last one! (for now)

This is another Marcos accession that bounced back from our winter well unprotected, unfortunately much worse germination rate on these so I only have 1 but seems to be a hardy little plant

Celtis ehrenbergiana - “Tala”
Celtis ehrenbergiana is a semi-evergreen shrub or small tree with a more or less pyramidal crown; it can grow 4 - 7 metres tall. The irregular bole can be 20 - 30cm in diameter.
The plant is sometimes harvested from the wild for local use of its edible fruit, medicinal properties and dyestuff. It is sometimes grown as an ornamental. Fruit. A succulent pulp, but there is not much of it. The oval, orange-yellow fruits are about the size of a pea. Edible and sweet. Astringent. An infusion of the leaves is used in the treatment of indigestion. A plant of the subtropics and tropics, found at elevations between 300 - 1,700 metres in the tropics. Prefers a sunny position. It is apparently tolerant of a wide range of soil and moisture conditions. A fast-growing tree.
Text sourced from Tropical Plants Database, Ken Fern. tropical.theferns.info. 2021-09-15. <tropical.theferns.info/viewtropical.php?id=Celtis+ehrenbergiana>

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 09:30:32 PM by elouicious »

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Tala (Celtis ehrenbergiana) is a Subtropical Species
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »
I agree, very hardy! I never tasted any tala fruit, sadly! I hope to do it soon!
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk