Author Topic: Large nubs between annona leaves, what does this mean?  (Read 544 times)

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Large nubs between annona leaves, what does this mean?
« on: May 03, 2022, 07:20:08 PM »
On some of my seedlings, I noticed that there are large "new growth" looking nubs that grow between the main stem and leaf stem of the leaves. Some more prominent than others, they pretty much shrink/ dry up as the leaves mature downwards.  What does this mean?

also these are very young seedlings, definitely not flowers
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Large nubs between annona leaves, what does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:09:33 PM »
The nodes between the petiole and the main stem are where new branches come out from. If you remove the leaf/petiole by snapping it off, most likely the nub will start growing into a new branch

On some of my seedlings, I noticed that there are large "new growth" looking nubs that grow between the main stem and leaf stem of the leaves. Some more prominent than others, they pretty much shrink/ dry up as the leaves mature downwards.  What does this mean?

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 02:22:14 AM »

a pic would help, my cherimoyas are so vigorous that the new growth makes branches in the bases of the leaves.

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 01:14:23 PM »
The nodes between the petiole and the main stem are where new branches come out from. If you remove the leaf/petiole by snapping it off, most likely the nub will start growing into a new branch

Nice gonna do a small prune to get my seedlings to split  and start branching out, or should i let grow tall and straight for a while?
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 10:35:33 AM »
Not 100% sure the best way, but I normally let the one leader grow to a height that you want you want, in a pot maybe a few feet then snap some leaves off and let them grow new branches in those spots. Personally I have found that if you don't remove the leaf where the new branch grows out of, it stunts the new branch sometimes.

Nice gonna do a small prune to get my seedlings to split  and start branching out, or should i let grow tall and straight for a while?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk