Author Topic: Juicing or pressing red hog plums in 9B  (Read 770 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Juicing or pressing red hog plums in 9B
« on: June 25, 2022, 04:35:36 PM »
The prevailing wisdom is that growing hogplums and 9B is not viable. In backyard setting it is being done. After this Frost freeze season it is even more impressive. Friday I was asked by a valued friend to pick his crop because he's out of town and is delayed several days at the airport. This was an air layered Governor's red plum. It was obtained in the homestead area many years ago. Anywho there's such a large Surplus I'm thinking of cutting and squeezing the seed out then pressing or juicing. I will also try taking the seed out and throwing them in a blender but not sure how much the peel or skin will detract from the juice. There's always the option of throwing them in a blender seeds and all then running it through a colander strainer then screener

Can anyone identify this fruit being grown in the ground in 9B

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 05:03:13 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Juicing or pressing red hog plums in 9B
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:01:57 PM »
The fruit you are showing is Spondias mombin. No need to air layer just bury a large diameter branch over 1 inch diameter and up to 4 inch diameter. They make a good wine. I just poured boiling water over them and let cool then added the winemaking stuff.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 06:17:18 PM »
Thanks Pine Islander for the advice.
It took 15 whole bronze to make half a glass and the relatively short period of time. So when I get the Press tomorrow I'm going to count out a couple hundred hog plums and cut and squeeze the seed out. Leaving the skin and what pulp is in the skin in the Press. Fish out the seeds and putting them in a pot of  water to be boiled. Will boil the water down to a good consistency then add with the concentrate from the press to increase the volume of juice. The Lucians say the juice is excellent without sugar or water. My goal is to find an expedient deficient process to freeze juice for the winter. This tree produces massive volume that are going to waste. My friend very much likes Pine Islanders idea of making hog plum wine.

When it cools off I will go pick these Barbados cherries but Barbados cherry Guava  Hog Plum juice sounds like a good combination with a touch of lime or lemon. My West Indians will know what to do

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:41:12 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 07:35:45 PM »
210 Hog plums cold pressed to make 2 L of pure juice

Experiment 1 is simmering the seeds with three cups of water.
Experiment 2 is simmering seeds plus the skins with 4 cups of water.

Then we'll let it cool off pour it through a strainer. If both are acceptable add to the juice

It's been through a colander when it cools off more will go through a strainer
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 08:18:40 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 10:24:02 PM »
Final verdict the West Indians decided that the cold press does not need sugar.The seed and the seed peel that were simmered in water tasted different than the cold press and needed sugar. The heating changed the chemistry. So it should be treated as two different Juice drinks.

They felt that the peel added to the flavor and combined the seed juice with the seed peel juice. The cold-pressed is on the left
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 10:28:22 PM by bovine421 »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 07:37:28 PM »
I didn't read all (no results for ctrl=f and freeze )

but if you freeze fruit first after thawing the fruit will be softer more easy to work.

you say heating changes the flavor

you could try freezing first to soften fruit..

you could also smash with a 2 by four how soft are these .

A cold maceration is where you soak whole fruit in fridge with water .

this can be the bits, and pieces of pulp left on seed that did not separate from the pulp
kind of like getting the bulk pulp off

and before runinng through a colander soaking seeds in fridge in water
 (but not famialar with the fruit so do not know how the seed sticks to the fruit in the first place
just a idea you may have not thought of--- think Hawthorn not a bad idea for that separate most soak the last little bits.
 (or cold soak or cold maceration .)

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 07:44:42 PM »
Okay I read through it

Nice metal strainer I was just getting mine out today

it is the same (making some muscadine wine ,
but the strainers  for the (white) scuppernong in the stainless steal vat, (as will fit.)

what is the press like any good. (the prices?)

Oh edit Your styro foam cooler
Bad to see it I have to say ditch it, and get a rubber made one

The muscadine had been shipped in and when made wine I had some MOG (material other then grape)
Yes you guessed it styro foam ( I know mold like mycoderma or flowers of the wine you treat with sufites ) but that was not it I knew.

I left for the airport , and did not stir family did  I thought the fruit grew mold (from not being stired)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:52:54 PM by Francis_Eric »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 10:16:01 PM »
Okay I read through it

Nice metal strainer I was just getting mine out today

it is the same (making some muscadine wine ,
but the strainers  for the (white) scuppernong in the stainless steal vat, (as will fit.)

what is the press like any good. (the prices?)

Oh edit Your styro foam cooler
Bad to see it I have to say ditch it, and get a rubber made one

The muscadine had been shipped in and when made wine I had some MOG (material other then grape)
Yes you guessed it styro foam ( I know mold like mycoderma or flowers of the wine you treat with sufites ) but that was not it I knew.

I left for the airport , and did not stir family did  I thought the fruit grew mold (from not being stired)
https://m.vevor.com/commercial-juicers-c_10701/vevor-wine-presser-grape-press-for-wine-making-3-5l-fruit-tincture-press-machine-p_010280082585?adgroupid=140780762127&keyword=&targetid=dsa-1531511922903&device=m&creative=600510912226&gclid=CjwKCAjwzeqVBhAoEiwAOrEmzQq2AGCQj_k5O85MpeQyXI4hWfM4ctavtUfEx9LYLJWa3yV4vZCJeBoCJ7EQAvD_BwE
Impulse buy on Amazon it's the half gallon size very impressed with the sturdiness and construction. Once I get my muscadine grapes producing I may upgrade to a larger size. It was a fun enjoyable activity. Does your probe officer know you're making wine and make sure you put a wine rack on your bicycle basket. Lol