Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Jackfruit grafting

(1/3) > >>

SplorKeLZ:
I have several jackfruits from a store bought jackfruit, i planted them about 5 1/2 months ago and i want to use them as rootstocks bc i didnít love the jackfruit they came from, it was good but nothing special. I currently want to graft Marang, Keledang, maybe cempedak, Lakoocha, pedalai and kwai muk preferably all onto the same rootstock to save space, is the jackfruit big enough? Also i have never grafted before. If anyone has any other Artocarpus suggestions, feel free to tell me.

2 of the jackfruits in question. I have heard that kwai muk and lakoocha are slow growing, would it be a bad idea to graft these onto something fast growing?

brian:
Where can you get scion for all these varieties you mentioned??  I have only ever found seeds & seedlings

Epiphyte:
since you've never grafted before i suggest 1st practicing on figs and loquats with wedge grafts and approach grafts. 

lots of people on this forum have asked whether kwai muk can be grafted onto jackfruit, but so far nobody knows.  i'm guessing that they aren't compatible.  i have plenty of jackfruit seedlings but only 1 tiny kwai muk seedling.  when it gets larger i'll consider approach grafting it to a jackfruit seedling. 

SplorKeLZ:

--- Quote from: brian on February 22, 2024, 02:25:07 PM ---Where can you get scion for all these varieties you mentioned??  I have only ever found seeds & seedlings

--- End quote ---
ahh, that is the question

brian:
I have most of the artocarpus you listed, SplorKeLZ, but I assumed they were not graft compatible so I never even considered it.  I have never grafted jackfruit anyway so I don't know what my success rate would be with jackfruit-on-jackfruit but I could try some of the other grafts at some point.  Some of these have really different growth habits I suspect it would not work out well.  For example, pedalai leaves are like 100x the area/size of kwai muk leaves

--- Quote from: SplorKeLZ on February 22, 2024, 03:37:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: brian on February 22, 2024, 02:25:07 PM ---Where can you get scion for all these varieties you mentioned??  I have only ever found seeds & seedlings

--- End quote ---
ahh, that is the question

--- End quote ---

Yeah these are not as available as you might hope.  You can find marang, cempedek, kwai muk, pedalai seedlings occasionally but I've never seen even a seedling keledang or lakoocha for sale in mainland US, much less mature scion or cloned trees. 

I mean, if you do find them let us know :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version