Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 540135 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #2400 on: April 20, 2023, 05:44:54 AM »
Thank you, as always, Har!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: April 26, 2023, 09:26:42 PM »
Dang, I have a lot of Mango problems..this little seedling Bailey's Marvel has what we think is gall . . . not too easy to see in this pic, but here it is to give a sense of size (it's maybe a foot and a half tall). See the grasshoppers on it?

Here's a close up of the alleged gall. Is this something to worry about? If so, what should be done?

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: April 27, 2023, 06:05:35 AM »
Guanabana no I didn't cut any roots they weren't circling necessarily I just noticed that they looked real dark. But after seeing some videos where they showed roots on mango seedling I noticed the roots looked very dark not real bright white like vegetable roots would look and I came to the conclusion that I don't think it is root rot I think they just look different than other plants. Also tree roots usually do look a bit different than like tomato roots or chili pepper roots. Also if your saying that they sound fine as well than I'm not going to worry. I've seen quite a few vids on YouTube with you and your knowledge on mangoes seems to be endless. I wish I had someone like you close by to help me. I have a kesar, alphonso and manila and I've got them all pots as of now, I have clay soil and about 16 inches down its almost like just hitting rock.  I need to treat my soil more before I'm comfortable planting in ground, so I hope they do well in the pots! Thank you so much for replying. I'm sure I'll be posting again when I have more questions. Also, I'm glad to hear that black mold is nothing to worry about, I was very worried it looked so bad but I wiped it off with a damp paper towel and it's yet to return 😀

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: April 27, 2023, 11:18:10 AM »
Guanabana no I didn't cut any roots they weren't circling necessarily I just noticed that they looked real dark. But after seeing some videos where they showed roots on mango seedling I noticed the roots looked very dark not real bright white like vegetable roots would look and I came to the conclusion that I don't think it is root rot I think they just look different than other plants. Also tree roots usually do look a bit different than like tomato roots or chili pepper roots. Also if your saying that they sound fine as well than I'm not going to worry. I've seen quite a few vids on YouTube with you and your knowledge on mangoes seems to be endless. I wish I had someone like you close by to help me. I have a kesar, alphonso and manila and I've got them all pots as of now, I have clay soil and about 16 inches down its almost like just hitting rock.  I need to treat my soil more before I'm comfortable planting in ground, so I hope they do well in the pots! Thank you so much for replying. I'm sure I'll be posting again when I have more questions. Also, I'm glad to hear that black mold is nothing to worry about, I was very worried it looked so bad but I wiped it off with a damp paper towel and it's yet to return 😀

All mango roots are dark, just the fresh growth root tips will be yellowish/white colored (turning a red-burgandy for a short span, then the dull dark brown/black).

Har (Guanabana) is indeed a wealth of knowledge, but he's also very busy through-out the year. The search tool on the forum (https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=search) can help you find the answers to most questions in an instant. This forum has been up for years and very likely already has (several) posts with answers to any of your questions; just know you'll be risking falling down the rabbit's hole, it's easy to get sidetracked. I spent days reading countless posts on here when I first started my mango journey, often having to remind myself what question I was trying to answer before I let myself get completely lost in interesting posts.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: April 28, 2023, 12:13:07 PM »
Fliptop,
That is vegetative Mango Malformation, caused by Fusarium fungus infection inside the wood and bark.

Cut off, cutting into the wood of the trunk.  Sanitize wound with hydrogen peroxide.  When that dries, spray wound with a Copper product, preferably as Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate.

Or cut off whole top of plant, a couple inches below the infection, and treat the same.

Sanitize clippers or blade very well afterwards.
Har

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: April 28, 2023, 02:01:32 PM »
Thank you, Har! Scary sounding stuff. I completed the surgery as instructed, including cleaning pruners with alcohol. I put the infected part in an airtight bag and into the garbage it went.

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: May 01, 2023, 10:09:02 AM »
I noticed my kesar mango tree has a little bit of crispy brown tips on 3 of the leaves and on leaf has a slightly discolored spots that looks much lighter than the rest of the leaf. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what this could be from. I just added some 5-5-2 doctor earth fruit tree fertilizer, its a dry fertilizer thats supposed to last 3 months, a couple of days ago, do you think it could be fertilizer burn? I mean it doesn't seem likely, but I don't know what to think. It doesn't look like a fungus, although with our weather lately it wouldn't surprise me.

INaba

• West Florida coast, zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: May 01, 2023, 11:16:26 PM »
Har, i need your expertise please.
Is this sweet tart mango planted correct? Or need to be replanted deeper
This trunk is not usuall. Please advise. Thanks

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: May 03, 2023, 01:35:28 AM »
My tree has since developed more crispy leaf tips and a couple brown spots on the leaves. I think it might be fertilizer burn. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? I forgot to post pictures the other say. It wasn't letting me post them saying cleantalk error or something then saying I already posted it, which I didn't. So I hope it let's me post my pictures.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: May 03, 2023, 08:58:23 AM »
Har, i need your expertise please.
Is this sweet tart mango planted correct? Or need to be replanted deeper
This trunk is not usuall. Please advise. Thanks

You don't want to bury below the collar, which appears to be just at/above soil level now. Har knows best, but I don't think planting deeper is advisable.
That is a funky rootstock; I'm surprised a nursery grafted to that, I would have culled that one.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: May 03, 2023, 05:12:41 PM »
Yes, current depth is good, or add another 1/2 inch of soil, also good.  Dont cover any of that horizontal portion, as that is trunk.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: May 03, 2023, 05:24:39 PM »
MJ88,
Burned tips can be from deficiency of Potassium, or from deficiency of Nickel in presence of urea, or from Powdery Mildew--- if white powder was present on those leaf-tip areas when the problem first occurred.

The burned areas in the middle of the leaves may be from tree frog pee, or from the end of spray that was no longer well mixed, from lack of agitation.
Har

INaba

• West Florida coast, zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: May 03, 2023, 09:12:56 PM »
Jake, Har thanks a lot for the advice and your expertise.
This sweet tart isn't from professional nursery. From someone like us.
And when I bought it was small and I didn't see what I see now.
But thanks, I stopped to worry about

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: May 04, 2023, 02:37:21 AM »
Thank you har. I live in southern california so it couldn't be tree frogs,I can't even remember the last time I saw a frog haha. Okay well, I just fertilized the other day for the first time on that plant so I guess I'll see if that makes any difference and if it does then I guess it would be the potassium that helped. If not, should I try finding a minor nutrients spray with nickel, or what would he a fix for lack or nickel in presence of urea?

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: May 04, 2023, 03:02:14 AM »
Would a product like opulent nickel, a liquid nickel foliar spray, or prevegenics microgenics, micronutrients fertilizer with nickel included, be something that would work for nickel deficiency. The potassium I can easily correct with fertilizer if it's that. Also the leaves are slightly wavy on the edges of the kesar mango in question. Is that normal for a kesar? I know some mangoes have leaves that are slightly wavy, is this the case for kesar's?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: May 05, 2023, 07:04:15 PM »
For Nickel and other traces, I just use Kelp extracts and micronutrients that contain them as "contaminants."

See Washington State's department of agriculture's special website that lists the "heavy metals" in ag products sold in that state.
Har

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: May 09, 2023, 04:06:39 PM »
Started getting some leaf issues on my Pickering and my Kesar. Pickering has some fruit. Kesar has no fruit.  The new leaves look fine, but the older leaves aren't looking great. They're starting to get discolored and have dead spots.  See pictures...

Pickering

Kesar

hipasfolk

• Central FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: May 24, 2023, 03:17:48 PM »
One or two of my relatively new small potted mangos are starting to get these torqued leaves. I've had them about a month and otherwise look fine. Is it some kind of deficiency I should address, watering issue, or perhaps just stress?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: May 27, 2023, 11:45:40 AM »
CarlosGolfer,
Possibly Potassium deficiency on the older leaves.  Mite damage on the Kesar.

Hipasfolk,
I am not close to sure, but possibly that results from deficiency of soluble Silicon.
Har

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: May 27, 2023, 10:59:53 PM »
Can some please tell me what’s happening to my seedling mango. Thank you.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 13, 2023, 11:29:41 PM »
Hello,
does anyone know what causes fruit split on mango?
I know lots of water does, but I don't water my trees. My NDM-4 has had fruit splitting left and right.
Is there a nutritional deficiency? I know that NDM is prone to splitting according to Tropical Acres Farms.
I'm considering top working it now. But the tree is so far along, if the splitting could be solved with some nutrients, I'm all for it.
Thank you!

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 14, 2023, 07:18:45 PM »
Until this morning I had a grand total of one Mature size Maha Chanock hanging on my tree. Found it on the ground with what looks like bird beak marks on one side. It was hard and totally pithy inside so I am not so sure it would have made it to ripeness.

Question - who bags their fruit on the tree, at what stage and does it do any good? I need this info for use next season. Thanks

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: June 14, 2023, 10:40:35 PM »

Question - who bags their fruit on the tree, at what stage and does it do any good? I need this info for use next season. Thanks

I bagged my 4 mangoes (Maha) when they were the size of a baseball. So far so good.
My guavas did not survive the squirrels, even in bag. The squirrels were not smart or patient enough to remove the fruits from the bag, though.
I noticed that the birds only ate my ripe Barbados cherries, so I guess you can bag the fruits when they are about to ripen.
Tom

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: June 26, 2023, 10:18:37 PM »
Mineral deficiencies increase susceptibility to splitting, not enough Boron.  Be very careful with dosing.  Better to just make sure that any mixed fertilizers used contain all micronutrients.
Har

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: June 27, 2023, 09:57:38 AM »
Some of my Sweet tarts have these sunken black spots, this one being the worst. What am I working with here?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk