Author Topic: Durian community pot transplanting  (Read 393 times)

Espadin

• Puerto Rico, zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Espadin Exotics
Durian community pot transplanting
« on: May 26, 2023, 03:39:51 PM »
Does anyone with Durian have any tips about transplanting this Durian community pot I have?

I get the feeling the roots are sensitive, does it make more sense to transplant them into separate pots now or wait until they get bigger?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Durian community pot transplanting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 06:41:12 PM »
I think that you should replant into individual pots or plant directly in the field with some shade. Either way you can follow up with grafting if you want. It’s not doing them any good being so close together and competing like they are.
Peter

Espadin

• Puerto Rico, zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Espadin Exotics
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 07:59:10 PM »
Thanks. Do you have good success grafting trees that you have planted out in the field? I am planning to do that with a variety of trees but I’m not sure if the grafts will survive as well as in pots.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 10:03:04 PM »
That’s a good question. I have been grafting with good success in pots doing cleft grafts on young material like yours. But I have seen field grafting at some farms in Malaysia on 1 year old growth. If the graft fails it is easy to repeat without a setback. I have photos of those grafts if you are interested.
Peter

Espadin

• Puerto Rico, zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Espadin Exotics
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 02:06:12 PM »
Thanks, I’m planning on trying it with a variety of species. I have so many plants in pots right now I figure planting them in ground and grafting later will cut down on the management burden a bit. Time will tell about success I guess!

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 04:26:02 PM »

So this is what they were doing at two farms I visited in Malaysia. The rootstock is around 1 year old and some 3cm thick. If the graft doesn’t take they just put another on, there is no setback. Once it takes they slowly cut the foliage from the rootstock, leaving it there for awhile as the scion gathers strength.
Peter

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 07:06:00 PM »
I have planted quite a few durian and I have disturbed the roots on a few occasions and also had birds dig around young durians. Never lost a single plant from this. I'd say disturbing the roots is not much of a concern. Doing it now would probably be better than waiting and having the roots get tangled up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk