Author Topic: New summer time passion fruit trellis  (Read 842 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
New summer time passion fruit trellis
« on: January 21, 2023, 04:02:49 AM »
I did this so fast, usually i plan for such things for like at leas a month, pondering about..... this time i just had the idea in the evening and next day i was already doing it.
This trellis will be perfect for the summer growth of my passion fruit plants, i have 1 purple edulis and 1 decaisneana in the greenhouse, they are growing vertically on the wall of the greenhouse, fixed to a aluminium fence. This growing possition is not optimal in any way, but i am forsed to grow them like this due to space limmitations. They cast alot of shade on the other plants that way.
Anyway, with this new setup i will guide the new growth trough a hole at the top of the greenhouse, i will remove a piece of the pollicarbonate in spring/may and let them roam outside.
The purple edulis i'm sure will really apreciate the new space, ive grown the purples outside in pots and in ground trought summer with no problems, the decaisneana may not grow as good there, since i think it likes a little more shade and a lot more humidity . In fall i will have a problem thought ,i will have to prune and take the rest of the plant inside the greenhouse, i just hope that whatever fruit sets it ripens before that point, as messing with such long and tender vines, carying fruit will be a nevre braking job.
Here are the plants:

This is the trellis :

The pics are not too clear, but thats the best i could do ..

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: New summer time passion fruit trellis
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 04:09:18 PM »
Gorgeous!

Looking forward to seeing fruits hanging down

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 06:50:43 PM »
yeah what elou said!

these pictures are gonna be crazy to look at a year from now when the whole screen is filled  ;D
instagram @trumansacco

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 12:55:54 AM »
Thank you both for the kind words, i cant wait to let the vines roam up there. Didnt thought about the fruit hanging trought the net, itll be cool to look at.  I will have a hard time hand pollinating the flowers though, once i did left some flowers without hand pollination and they did set, but i just wont risk it .

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:42:01 PM »
Super cool vine and fruit arch you are working on there! Love it.

An extended soft brush could help with hand pollinatio, if needed,

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 01:17:52 AM »
Super cool vine and fruit arch you are working on there! Love it.
An extended soft brush could help with hand pollinatio, if needed,

Thanks! I have tried before to use brushes but its alot more sketchy since the pollen carying organs are hard to take the pollen from with a brush. It can work if i harvest the pollen parts in a cup first, i like to just take the stamens and work them  on the stigma , that way i get most of the pollen directly where i need it.
I,ll have to use a ladder and the net wont help either, but my hands do pass trough the holes of the net so i'll manage...

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 02:54:19 PM »
A little update on the passion fruit, the vine is flowering at the moment, never knew they could start flowering this early, potted speccimens always flowered for me in june/july , but those werent growing all winter in a warm greenhouse ,inground. Extremely vigorous, compare the pics from above to those of now, 3 months later the plant has grown ALOT.
Planning on taking it out at the start of may, they are predicting consistently warmer temps from then on.
I think i will have to do a umbrella with a nylon on top of the trellis, to prevent rain messing with the pollination of the flowers , i will be pollinating all of them on hand, hope for a huge harvest !

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 02:56:43 PM by Plantinyum »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
Really nice work.  Vines are an interesting challenge, I keep thinking of making a grapevine trellis.  I don't have enough space in my greenhouse to do a tropical one

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 06:08:46 PM »
Nice! Glad to see you having success with a tasty and beautiful trellis

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 12:19:01 AM »
Thanks! Really have to take it out, its smothering everything planted below it. I can see by the mess of so many entangled vines, i will spend a whole day untying and carefully guiding vines out of a small hole in the poli.

Brian ,you can try to grow it in the greenhouse, vertically on one of the walls. Mine is possitioned like that, i have a net on one side of the greenhouse, made for passiflora. Its alot of work keeping them managable this way ,but its doable.
Mine is going on a summer vacation outside, for the summer, i will take it back inside and tie it on the wall in fall, which will be a shitty job, depending on how much fruit is left on those vines.
I will update with pics when i take it out, i hope it doesnt get a setback due to sun exposure or environment change overall, edulis has been very resilient for me so i hope all goes well.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 12:20:48 AM by Plantinyum »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 01:26:45 AM »
The plant is now outside since the middle of may, it is doing very good now, had a shock from the move which i expected anyways, alot of the flowers that were blooming at the did not set. Its back on its tracks now, setting almost every flower, with hand pollination. I am seeing some faster growth progress now, alot of flower buds forming. I must have at least 60 fruits on it right now, the oldest ones are a nice size and usually bigger than the ripe ones i find in the stores. I have grown passionfruit before ,the homegrown ones tend to be alot sweeter,  compared to the store ones.
I have made a shelter against rain on top of the trellis, gotta keep those flowers nice and dry to aid with the hand polnation. I will remove it once the main flowerring ends.
Due to the very early flowerring, my estimates are that i should have the first ripefruits around august, i will stop pollinating the flowers around start of july, in order for the latest fruitlets to have time to mature before end of october.