Author Topic: Please help identify this fruit.  (Read 1908 times)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Please help identify this fruit.
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
This is fruiting in a yard in Labelle, Florida. A woman from Puerto Rico told me it is edible, but she didn't know the name. Does anyone recognize this?

Thanks,
Erica

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Please help identify this fruit.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »
ackee.

DO NOT EAT......requires special care.  I have one planted out and I love ackee, but it is the blowfish of tropical fruit, and can be fatal if eaten before it opens properly.  Basically, when the red part opens naturally, the 3 black seeds are visible and surrounded by a yellow, fleshy aril.  There is a pink part that attaches to the yellow flesh that must be removed. 

It, served with salted codfish, is the national dish of Jamaica.  Can be eaten raw or cooked, provided that the above preparations have been made.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:17:34 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:35:26 PM »
So THAT is ackee. Glad I asked. Thank you for the introduction. I am glad I did not taste experimentally.  :P

Erica

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:46 PM »
If you have her show you, it is not as dangerous as people make it out to be.  Once you know how, quite easy to properly clean.   Excellent eaten fresh picked and raw.  Must eat when fresh, or cooked or frozen.  Does not hold well.

Odd to be on the tree in that area at this time of year.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:04:14 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »
Akee is in season here now too.  Raw and ripe it can be buttery.  Lightly cooked it might be like scrambled eggs with cheese.  We are enjoying it daily right now.
Peter

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
This is the second fruiting on that tree this year. Both times, it was covered with fruit. It is right on a property line in a residential area. I know the people on one side and they have no idea; it is not there. It is planted right on the street, easily accessible to anyone.

I do understand about care to be taken with some excellent edibles. I am a former mycologist and when I lived in the northeast US, I regularly ate wild mushrooms. In fact, I went wandering around in the woods looking for them to eat. As Rob and Peter describe, if you know what you are doing, it is really quite simple and not dangerous. But if you don't know what you are doing, it can be tragic.

Erica

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:23:16 AM »
I didn't realize ackee could be eaten raw. What does it taste like?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 06:43:18 AM »
I didn't realize ackee could be eaten raw. What does it taste like?

John Kohler (growingyourgreens) spoke about them in one of his videos a few years back.  He is a raw foodist, and spoke highly of the tree.  The other person whom I have heard this from is Bsbullie.  I just think some people (even Jamaicans I have known) are afraid that not cooking it will be harmful without really looking into it.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk