Author Topic: Alligator Pears  (Read 1753 times)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Alligator Pears
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
Some friends have the type of avocado known locally (Florida) as alligator pear. It has lighter skin, reportedly a little less rich, and much larger than avocados I have seen. Does anyone know if this is also persea americana? Or if it is a different species. Is it worth growing from seed. I know that "regular" avocados are not. A google search did not reveal this information to me.

I was given a couple this week and one is already sprouting. I am wondering whether to grow it or put it in the compost pile.

Erica

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
Re: Alligator Pears
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »
I believe alligator pear is a old Florida term for avocado of the west Indian type.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
"Alligator Pear" is an old name used to describe avocados in general. I'm not familiar with a distinct cultivar called "Alligator Pear".

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
Yes its just a term, not a variety.  Definitely not worth growing from seed unless you are:
a. Under 50 yrs old and are willing to plant 200 to try to get a good one (maybe).
B. If you are over 50 and feel lucky you can give it a shot for fun.

Some times seedlings are good but lack other characteristic required to become a cultivar.  For example I just had for lunch an avocado that is growing in a shoot from the root stock in an abandoned grove. It weights 20 oz, the seed must weight 10 oz, huge,  but the pulp is Delicious. I would pick it over a Hass, any time. But no one wants a 20 oz fruit with about 8 oz of pulp. It would never become a cultivar, except in my house, at this time, that's what we eat.  I have Monroes at this time of the year but I rather eat these unknown fruit that we call "Redondito"  (meaning the little round one)

There is a value at planting seedlings. I'm certain there are a lot of good cultivars in people's yards everywhere.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County