Author Topic: WTB Durian Suluk  (Read 815 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
WTB Durian Suluk
« on: January 18, 2022, 12:09:12 AM »
WTB durian SULUK seeds

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Re: WTB Durian Suluk
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 08:01:51 PM »
There is many Suluk durian verieties as it's a D. Zib X D. Grav. (that's what I have learnt).
At this moment with travel restrictions I think you best chance now is to grow both to maturity and cross them yourself. You can get yellow and orange flesh graveolens easy in our area.
Even though it's not to hard to find if traveling around borneo and looking for road stalls.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:40:22 AM »
Cassowary thanks for the comments, yeh what I would actually like is a Grafted Suluk King from borneo but as we know that aint ever gunna happen.  I doubt they are in australia and if they are certainly no one is advertising the fact.  So i was looking for some seedlings as the next best thing for the local desperate situation (lack of grafted trees).

I wont ever be travelling overseas as I refuse to get vaccinated.  So if I grew out some gravelons would you then pollinate the tree with Zib and then the fruit comes out as hyrbids? Im not sure how all the genetics works real well.  Would you then plant seedlings from this crossed fruit in hopes of creating your own suluk?  I will have the space to try all this soon so I could try?

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 07:53:44 AM »
Hello, now in Thailand found Zibethinus X Lowianus, It called Thong Laboo has been accepted and attracted a lot of attention
credit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gZ0fJNbDw

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 09:03:41 AM »
I wouldn’t say Suluk is easy to find in Borneo. It seems mainly to be growing in a certain area called Lawas. I went there and didnt find any, just a lot of graveolens and Zibethinus. then I found suluk in Miri a couple times. The price was around 50 ringgit for one kilo which is about as high value for any fruit in Borneo. I think it’s one of the best tasting durians out there , up there with musang king, it’s very thick like a graveolens but there is a better flesh to seed ratio.

Graveolens can take 20+ years to fruit in Hawaii , even from graft. So it would take so long to do a cross pollinization project there. I wonder how long they usually take to fruit in Australia ?

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:38:57 PM »
I wouldn’t say Suluk is easy to find in Borneo. It seems mainly to be growing in a certain area called Lawas. I went there and didnt find any, just a lot of graveolens and Zibethinus. then I found suluk in Miri a couple times. The price was around 50 ringgit for one kilo which is about as high value for any fruit in Borneo. I think it’s one of the best tasting durians out there , up there with musang king, it’s very thick like a graveolens but there is a better flesh to seed ratio.

Graveolens can take 20+ years to fruit in Hawaii , even from graft. So it would take so long to do a cross pollinization project there. I wonder how long they usually take to fruit in Australia ?

Great info Ben thanks for that, sounds like a sensational fruit, lindsay had similar comments.

I think things fruit faster here than hawaii in general, not sure about Graveolens but Peter salleras gets Zib to fruit in 4 years or less here, Mike T has had a few grafted durian fruit around 5 years I believe. Im expecting mine to fruit in 4 years.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:26:43 PM »
Yeah troppo go for it, cross pollinate them once you have both mature. And grow up the seeds and select them. That's what I am planning on doing.
A good aid for the injection issue present is a Sailing boat ;) a 30ft kathamaran would do the job of crossing the water. Eventually airport customs most likely will abandond rigorous injecion status checks, to cumbersome even with digital automated systems I believe.

Even if you get the first fruit at 5 years it wont be many fruits (from what I have seen), probobly still 10-15 years for decent yeilds and average economic life of graftage isnt much more then 30 years.

Wow that  Zibethinus X Lowianus is something new! Thanks for sharing that as I would have never found it since can't type thai.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk