Author Topic: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order  (Read 36202 times)

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
Foe those of you who are potting and not just grafting what size pots are you using?
Anyone care to share your mix of soil or your brand?

I’ll be using a my blend that does very well for me, it’s 3 parts coco coir, 2 parts perlite, and 1 part worm castings. I’ll be wrapping my trees with buddy tape before planting and then treating them with beneficial nematodes to kill any bad nematodes. From there, just hoping for the best. They’ll be in my greenhouse in Fl

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2023, 09:31:35 AM »
EAST COAST YANG MEI CLUB!!!!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2023, 10:39:58 AM »
For those of you who are potting and not just grafting what size pots are you using?
Anyone care to share your mix of soil or your brand?

I'd say have some 1-5 gallon pots on hand

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2023, 12:09:11 PM »
Yup, agreed. The smallest pot that will hold the entire root mass with the root flare at top, generally a #1 container. You could use any soil as long as you are familiar with it and can control the soil moisture. I typically use Foxfarm Ocean Forest combined with some Happy Frog but I’m out of that soil today so I’m using Promix this time because I have it laying around.

Keep the plants in high humidity and out of direct sunlight. These plants should be put into intensive care until their first flush has fully hardened.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2023, 12:23:48 PM »
I also want to mention that these trees should be quarantined away from all other trees. This is especially important for nurseries that ship trees to other states that have nematode restrictions.

Simon

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 21, 2023, 02:22:24 PM »
Myrica rubra is an obligate N fixer and uses a species Frankia bacteria to create its own N inside on nodules in their roots, I’m not sure that it is wise to remove all root nodules because it would prevent the plants from producing their own nitrogen. The lose of their symbiotic bacteria might slow down the trees growth. I’m sure mixing in a microrhyzel  mix might help the plants but removing all the nitrogen nodules might be hard on the plant. Here is an article about their nodule formation but there are a few articles about it
http://www.lykxyj.com/en/article/id/19940311

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 21, 2023, 02:40:33 PM »
Myrica rubra is an obligate N fixer and uses a species Frankia bacteria to create its own N inside on nodules in their roots, I’m not sure that it is wise to remove all root nodules because it would prevent the plants from producing their own nitrogen. The lose of their symbiotic bacteria might slow down the trees growth. I’m sure mixing in a microrhyzel  mix might help the plants but removing all the nitrogen nodules might be hard on the plant. Here is an article about their nodule formation but there are a few articles about it

At the same time, tons of complaints about previous orders spreading RKN in people's yards and growing spaces, so some pruning and quarantine can go a long way. I cant afford for my small yard to get infested, ill be buying probably from someone here in a few years.
The formation and texture of nitrogen-fixing nodules is different enough than galls formed by RKN, so its potentially easy to identify if you have an issue. Even if you killed off most of the nodules, like you said there's plenty of soil amendments that can help them boune back. I would err on the side of caution.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 21, 2023, 03:03:06 PM »

Hey Murraystevena2,

I checked the galls and they are not Frankia Actinomycetes. This article discusses the nodule formation of Frankia and the cascade of gene expression post infection.

https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajb/article/download/14883/58628

I dissected a few nodules to see if I can find any Iron like reddish brown coloration and the galls are cream colored or whitish like your typical root. The morphology of these galls are identical to the other group buy where the roots were more heavily infested.

The roots on these trees have this morphology

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-52118-4.pdf?pdf=button%20sticky

Frankia can have different morphologies but they would typically look something like this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankia

Simon

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 21, 2023, 03:08:38 PM »
Simon-

What do you think of the setup here?

They are indoors (70f) in my room with a fishtank (highest humidity I can get) and parafilm wrapped

Planning to leave them like this until I see the first flush- water when the soil dries, and probably graft when some branches are hardened

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 21, 2023, 03:47:34 PM »
Not too bad, as mentioned earlier, if you wrapped with parafilm, be very careful when the buds pop through the parafilm. Also, if you wrapped the entire tree, there is no longer the need for super high humidity because the moisture is retained under the film. You could have maybe gone down in size for your fabric pots. Instead of using a larger pot, I shoved the roots together into a #1 container because I find it much easier to control the soil moisture.

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 21, 2023, 03:59:33 PM »
Cheers-

I actually only put the biggest trees in 5g because I was worried about bending the taproot to fin in a 3g-

curled many of the feeders into 3g for the other plants-

I will move them to another room and keep my fingers crossed for pushing!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 21, 2023, 05:45:58 PM »
While potting some of the trees today, I noticed that the male trees are not grafted. They have failed grafts and the rootstock trees are so young, I wonder how they were able to determine they are male because I doubt they have flowered at such a small size?

Did anyone get male trees that are actually grafted?

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 21, 2023, 07:57:57 PM »
While potting some of the trees today, I noticed that the male trees are not grafted. They have failed grafts and the rootstock trees are so young, I wonder how they were able to determine they are male because I doubt they have flowered at such a small size?

Did anyone get male trees that are actually grafted?

Simon
Last order mine was failed graft too. I believe it’s just luck like they expect 1/2 of those “males” to be males. I would like to send them to Marta at Really good Plants. Once I get more to see if it’s true or not.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 21, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »
I have multiple males that have been DNA tested by Marta but I wanted to see how these so called “Male Dongkui”, “Male Biqi” compare to my male seedlings. I’m looking for potential Early, Mid and Late season males so that I can get a wider production window.

It would be total BS if they’re just winging it and guessing that half will be male.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 21, 2023, 09:28:33 PM »
Hi Simon,

I didn't order any male this year, but my DongKui male order from last year was grafted.

Thanks,
Al

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2023, 09:31:05 PM »
I cant speak from experience, but Hapa Joe can. He said to make sure that the energy goes into the roots when they are bare root. His trees look very well and he said that often times they could potentially flush then die because the energy went into the leaves instead of a healthy root system. I wonder if anyone here can attest to this? looking forward to more Yangmei in the US of A! Thanks Bill.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 21, 2023, 11:00:22 PM »
Yes, you definitely want to take care of the roots. That’s why I keep mentioning to use the appropriate size container and gradually step up the size incrementally. By taking care of the root system, your roots should look something like this.

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 21, 2023, 11:25:06 PM »
Simon-

I call on your expertise once again-

Opinions on the following organisms here?

Beneficial Endo Mycorrhizal fungi species:  Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus clarum, Glomus deserticola, Glomus etunicatum, Gigaspora margarita, Gigaspora brasilianum, Gigaspora monosporum

Beneficial Ecto Mycorrhizal fungi species: Rhizopogon villosullus, Rhizopogon luteolus, Rhizopogon amylopogon, Rhizopogon fulvigleba, Pisolithus tinctorius, Laccaria bicolor, Laccaria laccata, Scleroderma cepa, Scleroderma citrinum, Suillus granulatas, Suillus punctatapies

Trichoderma species: Trichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma konigii

Beneficial bacteria: Bacillus subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus azotoformans, Bacillus megaterium, Bacillus coagulans, Bacillus pumlis, Bacillus thuringiensis, Bacillus stearothermiphilis, Paenibacillus polymyxa, Paenibacillus durum, Paenibacillus florescence, Paenibacillus gordonae, Azotobacter polymyxa, Azotobacter chroococcum, Sacchromyces cervisiae, Streptomyces griseues, Streptomyces lydicus, Pseudomonas aureofaceans, Deinococcus erythromyxa

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 22, 2023, 12:17:25 AM »
Hey Elouicious,

The potting soil I use already has beneficial microbes and for Yangmei, Frankia Actinomycetes is really beneficial when growing in nutrient poor soils. I wouldn’t get fixated on the various organisms but I do believe in feeding the soil and taking care of those microbes so that they can take care of our trees.

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 22, 2023, 12:21:35 AM »
Thanks!
got a source on Frankia Actinomycetes?

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #345 on: January 22, 2023, 03:08:41 AM »
Thanks!
among the gazillion things i did to try to maximize the chance of success with my yangmeis, one thing i did was unpot my 5 myrica californicas in 1 gallon pots and steal some of their soil to add to the medium i was preparing for the yangmeis.  in one pot i found a huge earthworm, which i did not include.  but i was hoping that there were a host of much smaller but also beneficial organisms in the californica soil.  i recently bought them from a nursery but i'm guessing that they were not originally collected from the wild.  but if they managed to pick up an earthworm from my place or elsewhere then perhaps they managed to pick up other beneficials.

i didn't notice any obvious nodules on the californica roots.  then again i only pilfered the lose soil and didn't bother with trying to wash away the dense medium around the root ball.  but even if i had, the nodules can be kinda subtle?

one trick for "cycling" new aquariums is to add a spoonful of rich garden soil.  evidently the chances are good that it will harbor more beneficial microbes than harmful ones.  with this in mind i always try to reuse old soil, even when a plant died in the pot.

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 22, 2023, 04:44:18 AM »
Thank you Bill for arranging everything

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 22, 2023, 07:44:58 AM »
Simon-

They are indoors (70f) in my room with a fishtank (highest humidity I can get) and parafilm wrapped

Planning to leave them like this until I see the first flush- water when the soil dries, and probably graft when some branches are hardened
Whoa!! I hope my trees are that big!! I think we're going to need a bigger boat!!! Those pots look like 3 to 5 gals. Am I correct?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:50:46 AM by CarolinaZone »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 22, 2023, 09:16:56 AM »
Thanks!

Sorry but I don’t have a source for Frankia. From the articles I read, Frankia is beneficial when growing in nutrient poor soil. It may be more difficult to establish Frankia in nutrient rich soil and if the soil already has the nutrients, Frankia may not be as useful. I have many good sized Yangmei that are growing really well without Frankia.

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 22, 2023, 10:07:32 AM »
Simon-

Whoa!! I hope my trees are that big!! I think we're going to need a bigger boat!!! Those pots look like 3 to 5 gals. Am I correct?

You are correct! dont want to get your hopes up too much though

Definitely my biggest tree, and the varieties were of massively different sizes, my biqi is easily a 3rd of the size and went in a 1g-

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk