Author Topic: Attracting pollinators  (Read 528 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Attracting pollinators
« on: June 08, 2023, 12:15:13 PM »
I'm thinking of planting some sunflowers and wildflowers in my yard. I do not have grass but I do have a creeping peanut.

Any ideas on interplanting among what I have?
Regards,

Gary

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Attracting pollinators
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 02:23:58 PM »
I get big bags of native wildflowers and Johnny Appleseed style my yard, throwing them anywhere there is space. Now, I don't have any grass to maintain or anything so there's that...

I let them get big, flower, and then cut them down to the roots to fix soil. They come roaring back annually now. TONS of bee and wild pollinator action now after only 2 years. They really get kind of unruly and shade out my smaller bushes like eugenia seedlings but it appears that they help the plant, not harm it. They are healthier than ever.

There are a ton of benefits for me who has empty soil. It seems they hold water in the soil better, they are a source of organic material to fix the soil, and they take the brunt of the insect pressure. Sometimes an entire golden rod becomes an aphid factory... But they never go to my fruit trees. It has taught me to lean into IPM and allow for sacrificial plants that take the hit and get so out of control that predators arrive en masse. I have never had so many ladybugs, assassins, praying mantises etc!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 04:25:10 PM »
For bees, I've never seen anything attract them more than Melochia tomentosa.

It's a Florida native, though not sure the original range. I got mine at the All Native Garden Center in Ft Myers.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 04:39:33 PM by fliptop »

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 05:01:56 PM »
I have Petrea volubilis (Queen's Wreath or Sandpaper Vine) growing on a pergola and whenever it is blooming –which is on and off throughout the year– its flowers attract bees, beetles, wasps, and butterflies in abundance.

This vine is cold hardy, drought tolerant, pest resistant, and otherwise low-maintenance plus a boon is its frequent cascades of purple flowers.

Paul M.
==

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 06:29:47 PM »
Tropical almond (almond verbena) will bring every pollinating insect in the area to your yard.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 08:11:22 PM »
You can order wildflower seed mix packs that are blended for your specific area. We spread them around the edges of our yard. All kinds of weird shit pops up now. Lots of pollinators.

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 10:47:05 PM »
Yesterday i saw a bee in my garden that looked like it was carrying a small piece of rolled up leaf. I looked it up on the internet and discovered that leafcutter bees are a thing, i didn't know... Apparently they are good pollinators and you can place solitary bee houses to attract them.
Keep planting and nobody explodes

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 11:33:03 PM »
Plant a white sapote tree.  The whole hive will show up.