Author Topic: Yellowing on Mango and Peach  (Read 2979 times)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Yellowing on Mango and Peach
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
My Angie mango has been looking peaked all summer and recently it has gotten worse. It has plenty of rain during the summer. I have not fertilized it at all this past year

On my low chill peaches (don't remember the variety name), I am getting tiny yellow dots that look like paint spatter and then they spread and eventually the entire leaf turns yellow and dies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Erica, zone 9b

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowing on Mango and Peach
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »
This time of year the peach should be dropping its leaves so that should be okay. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »
Perhaps the light yellow leaf margins could be due to potassium deficiency. The spots could be some sort of fungal issue?

I would probably start mulching it and give it both 0-0-50 and a minor elements mix.

Hopefully Har will chime in with some advice.
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »
Looking at the second picture, I say magnesium is part of the problem based on the following document which states "Older leaves turn yellow at edge leaving a green arrowhead shape in the center of the leaf."

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1106.pdf
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Yep, could be magnesium. Here's what IFAS says:

"Magnesium deficiency is probably the most common of all nutritional deficiencies on trees and shrubs throughout the state of Florida. Symptoms are most severe on the oldest leaves and appear as broad interveinal and/or marginal chlorosis, but not necrosis (Figs. 9-12). Severely deficient plants will drop their lower leaves (Fig. 13). Growth rate will be greatly reduced in such plants and a reduction in leaf size will also be observed."

The mango tree has dropped all of its lower leaves, which is consistent with what IFAS says.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep362

Just give her a good granular micro mix and some mulch :-).
Jeff  :-)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 05:35:23 AM »
Hence, the reason I put down 0-0-22 K Mag every month.
JC

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »
Yep, looks like a micro deficiency on that mango, or mites.

Peaches - like it's been mentioned, sure you're not confusing things with what the tree should be doing, dropping it's leaves and going dormant?   My peach trees lost their leaves in November, but we've also had a lot freezing weather.

If they are not dormant and are still actively growing, then check for spider mites using a 5X loupe or mag glass.  Had alot of rain?  Fungus pressures maybe.  Hard to beat myclobutanil.  It is very low toxic and very effective on all fruits including grapes.   Micro deficiency?  Foliar spray with something like Dyna-Gro Foliage pro, 1/2 tsp/gal.  Don't forget the surfactant.  Great blend of macros and micros.  Mg deficiencies start at the bottom and work its way up.  Typical leaf chlorosis problems. 

The necrotic dots are just step one for what's soon coming - leaf necrosis.  You see a few, then many which soon join up, yellowing, browning and then katy hits the floor.

I have been growing peach trees for 10 years at my "new house" and have never sprayed them with anything but horticultural oil a few times while dormant.  They just seem to be bullet proof.   Varieties - Harvester and Redskin, 750 chill hours.   
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:19:47 AM by Mark in Texas »

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »
This time of year the peach should be dropping its leaves so that should be okay.

My peach is weird this year- it hasn't dropped its leaves and there are peach blossoms on it now. Its been so warm- talk about low chill...

EricaLynn- Keyplex foliar spray does wonders...I was skeptical but its amazing
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:09:06 PM by natsgarden123 »

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 06:01:50 PM »
Thank you for the great input and advice. I will add some micros for the Angie Mango.

I appreciate that peaches lose their leaves over the winter, such as it is here. This started when the peaches were still growing and the little speckles of yellow looked so much like paint spatter, it was incredible. Now the leaves are dying and falling as normal. We'll see what happens in the spring.

Mark in Texas - we have 150 chill hours here if we are lucky! 9b is a wonderful zone - just enough freezes to kill the tropicals and not enough chill for the temperates.  ;D

Merry Christmas to all and/or Happy Holiday of Your Choice. The important part is the peace and good will, especially to tropical fruit growers and appreciators.  ;)

Erica

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk