Author Topic: Mango being stolen  (Read 1262 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Mango being stolen
« on: April 27, 2022, 10:04:27 PM »
Check this out, the season will be upon us very soon.  ;)
Florida has the highest mango theft per capita in the world!  :o

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1262693360758562/permalink/1675027629525131/
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango being stolen
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 10:54:55 PM »
He must have had a Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart or E4 tree. Can’t blame the guy, I’d be pissed too!

Simon

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 09:19:12 AM »
If he really has the video, it's a simple situation to me. I'd calmly say, "I have you on camera, I have the St. Pete PD number dialed up, give me the mangos back now or explain how that's not you in the video to the police."

The real tragedy is this wasn't some dude coming into the neighborhood, this was his neighbor. It's exceedingly likely the words in this video are the most they've spoken to each other since they've both lived there. All too common here in Florida; nobody puts down roots anymore and new neighbors stay strangers for far too long.

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 10:16:15 AM »
This is infuriating. Imagine waiting all year to harvest your mangoes, only to wake up one morning and they’re all gone.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 10:42:45 AM »
Squirrels and rats suck, but human pests can be the worst.

Where's that Home Alone kid when you need him? Would love to see a movie/footage of fruit bandits getting dogged during their dirty deeds.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:03:02 AM by roblack »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 12:12:50 PM »
Had a nice laugh at this, i like the passion with which those people defend their crop!  Ive never had a plant or fruit stolen from me. Hopefully i do not deliver some bad news like this someday, since now i have some fruiting plants planted close to the street with not much fence in the way....

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 02:09:11 PM »
I'm confused at the video, though. That's from the thief's Ring camera. Why would they share the video? 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 06:28:35 PM »
I'm confused at the video, though. That's from the thief's Ring camera. Why would they share the video?

Maybe he thinks its funny to steal from people then post their reaction on tiktok.   ???

The victim seemed pretty mad. Threatening to put a bullet in the head probably not gonna fly in court.  Not even sure you could pull that off in TX. 

Better to move to the country and not have any neighbors or randoms nearby.  Also, better to plant mangos in the backyard not next to the sidewalk.

Not defending the thief, just saying this kind of thing comes with the territory.  Its human nature to eat the fruit off the tree they arent supposed to. 
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 11:14:06 PM »
In this case it has probably happened more than once then they put the camera on. The frustration and being victimized over and over gets worse every time. Whoever comes for my mangos gets it for all the ones that got away with it before. Same for any thief. First one got a bean pole in the head and high jumped a barbed wire fence, second time I had the machete. I've mellowed a lot over the years but anybody caught better hope they can get away quick or it aint gonna be pretty.  :-\

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 01:22:45 AM »

Maybe he thinks its funny to steal from people then post their reaction on tiktok.   ???

The victim seemed pretty mad. Threatening to put a bullet in the head probably not gonna fly in court.  Not even sure you could pull that off in TX. 

Better to move to the country and not have any neighbors or randoms nearby.  Also, better to plant mangos in the backyard not next to the sidewalk.

Not defending the thief, just saying this kind of thing comes with the territory.  Its human nature to eat the fruit off the tree they arent supposed to. 

You're probably right. I thought Twitter was dumb, then came TikTok. Everyone's an influencer! Even the criminals.