Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Yellow Plum tree in Orlando area?

(1/6) > >>

stormin:
My spouse wants to know if she can grow a yellow plum tree in the Orlando area? I've researched some and found Gulf Gold Plum, but cannot find where to purchase that can ship them. I know plums need some chill hours, but I don't know if our area gets enough cold days/nights for plum trees.

Jsvand5:

--- Quote from: stormin on February 23, 2015, 05:27:06 PM ---My spouse wants to know if she can grow a yellow plum tree in the Orlando area? I've researched some and found Gulf Gold Plum, but cannot find where to purchase that can ship them. I know plums need some chill hours, but I don't know if our area gets enough cold days/nights for plum trees.

--- End quote ---

Gulf gold won't work. You might get a small crop or two but then it will die. It was never patented because if doesn't survive. Some of the other gulf series might do well for you but the others are not yellow. Gulf blaze and gulf rose are good if she isn't set on a yellow.

stormin:

--- Quote from: Jsvand5 on February 24, 2015, 10:17:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: stormin on February 23, 2015, 05:27:06 PM ---My spouse wants to know if she can grow a yellow plum tree in the Orlando area? I've researched some and found Gulf Gold Plum, but cannot find where to purchase that can ship them. I know plums need some chill hours, but I don't know if our area gets enough cold days/nights for plum trees.

--- End quote ---

Gulf gold won't work. You might get a small crop or two but then it will die. It was never patented because if doesn't survive. Some of the other gulf series might do well for you but the others are not yellow. Gulf blaze and gulf rose are good if she isn't set on a yellow.

--- End quote ---

So that's why I couldn't find a place that sold Gulf Gold. Unfortunately my wife only wanted a yellow plum tree. :( I feel bad for her as that's the only fruit tree she wanted.

Jsvand5:
I have seen them for sale at a wholesale nursery in gainesville but I don't think they ship. It's called chestnut hill tree farm. You may be able to call them to see if they supply any nurseries near you.

stormin:

--- Quote from: Jsvand5 on February 25, 2015, 12:06:22 AM ---I have seen them for sale at a wholesale nursery in gainesville but I don't think they ship. It's called chestnut hill tree farm. You may be able to call them to see if they supply any nurseries near you.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jsvand, I saw that company/site too online when I was searching for the plum tree, listing it as pickup only. But if the tree dies in a short while, I don't think I'll bother with it. Thanks again though! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version