Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

More temperate, less tropical for zone8

<< < (5/6) > >>

1rainman:
Lake placid has a much nicer climate than here in my opinion even though it's not far away. Went in the summer and it wasn't as humid as here then in the winter it's cooler. I don't know where you are. Tampa is slightly better than here too. Not only do I hate this 100% humidity and heat it's bad for most plants other than bananas or something. I forgot about Curtis I heard of it before. I thought maybe it was from Georgia or something.

Tortuga:
I’m in zone 8b so I’ve planted Mulberries (fruit the first year) loquat, paw paw, jelly palm, mandarins on trifoliate rootstock, yuzu, Harvey lemons, blueberries, lemon grass, licorice grass, red bay, many varieties of figs. I have about 15 potted tropical plants that I build a small discrete frame over the majority of the plants in winter and each night it drops 37 and lower I wrap them in frost blankets. I have c9 incandescent Xmas lights on my plants as well. This whole setup can stay at a temp of 52 degrees on a 20 degree night and can hold that temp over many days if needed.

W.:

--- Quote from: Pokeweed on December 30, 2022, 07:45:55 AM ---…I think we get too hot for hazelnuts?…

--- End quote ---

Regardless of temperature, Eastern Filbert Blight makes growing hazelnuts a non-starter over much of the US.

manfromyard:
So what about all the bight resistant varieties that have been coming out of Oregon and Missouri?
Seems like they're working for most people..

Enkis:

--- Quote from: Tortuga on January 08, 2023, 11:25:54 AM ---I’m in zone 8b so I’ve planted Mulberries (fruit the first year) loquat, paw paw, jelly palm, mandarins on trifoliate rootstock, yuzu, Harvey lemons, blueberries, lemon grass, licorice grass, red bay, many varieties of figs. I have about 15 potted tropical plants that I build a small discrete frame over the majority of the plants in winter and each night it drops 37 and lower I wrap them in frost blankets. I have c9 incandescent Xmas lights on my plants as well. This whole setup can stay at a temp of 52 degrees on a 20 degree night and can hold that temp over many days if needed.

--- End quote ---

I live in zone 8b as well and have been planning to grow tropicals exactly how you are doing, building frames around the plants rather then having a permanent greenhouse.
What tropicals were you able to grow and have good quality fruits out of them?
I was planning to eventually plant in ground rather then keep them forever in pots. What's the reason for your choice? Do you move them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version