Author Topic: Dud Jackfruit??  (Read 810 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Dud Jackfruit??
« on: July 06, 2021, 05:42:14 PM »
Bought a jak at the market on Saturday.
It was solid green when I bought it and only very minimal if any fragrance.
No soft spots or any sign of injury.

Now it’s darkening unevenly and has what look like human stretch marks (first pic).
It is not putting off normal room-filling aroma and only smells fruity near the “stretch marks” up close.
Still not much give to the fruit at all

I know it doesn’t matter since the proof will be in the pudding, but…

Is this a dud?

Picked too soon?

Thanks

mango_kush

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
Re: Dud Jackfruit??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 05:50:40 PM »
Looks like it, some people buy green jackfruit as a meat substitute in recipes.
I only pick or buy them when their spikes become blunted

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
Looks like it, some people buy green jackfruit as a meat substitute in recipes.
I only pick or buy them when their spikes become blunted

Yeah in past years I used to be able to find fruits like you described, but lately all I seem to see are green ones or rotten ones.
It’s a bummer. Used to find some great tasting jaks but it’s been a long time.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:32:00 AM »
The spines do not become "blunted" on all varieties. Its truly like a mango, one needs to know the proper stage to harvest a jackfruit for eating as a ripe dessert.

As stated, many are picked green/immature/not fully ripe and could be done so for multiple reasons which most common are being shipped and sold commercially,  picked for eating as a vegetable,  and because people pick having no clue as to when the fruit is actually ripe.

In my opinion, and some won't like what I say, but buying a jackfruit in a location where they are not farmed/grown is less than a crapshoot.   You have little chance if buying anything decent or ripe.  I know some will say they have bought them in Idaho from a market and they tasted delicious...I would challenge that and say you should try one properly picked where they are grown.
- Rob

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 12:00:22 PM »
Thank you Rob - no, I totally agree, and it’s a crapshoot at best.

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »
Some folks (commercial operations) are harvesting Green Jackfruit on purpose to fill a niche in consumption.

That niche is the vegetarian meat substitute use of the pods and rag and also the seeds.

Green Jackfruit will NEVER ripen into the yellow delicious and sugary fruit you seek.

When buying jack for fruit purposes make sure you only buy fruit that sounds hollow when you tap and fruit that is already exuding that pungent fruity aroma.

Otherwise you could end up with another of those "duds".

I believe that Green Jackfruit should be labeled and marketed as such.....but in my experience it is not labeled or designated as such.

PS....people seeking green jack pay more for it....just like you don't want bland white rag and pods they don't want sugary fruit when trying to imitate pulled pork.
Not many folks harvest their Jackfruit green and so the green fetches a higher price.
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 08:42:17 PM »
Thanks for the info - I was previously aware of the green/young jackfruit product. I’ve seen them particularly at Indian markets. They’re usually much smaller than this 20 pound fruit I bought, but that’s not a sure sign I’m sure.
I cut this one tonight and actually it’s pretty decent. Nice gold arils and good flavor. Not as sweet as some but definitely worth eating. So, all’s well that ends well but I will be more careful next time.