Author Topic: Importing Citrus to USA from Japan  (Read 672 times)

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
Importing Citrus to USA from Japan
« on: February 27, 2023, 01:16:00 PM »
Hello,
I was curious if anyone has imported citrus trees from Japan to the USA. I tried to make sense of the CITEs and APHIS permit websites but I didn't quite grasp what I needed to do as a buyer. I am trying to purchase citrus trees from Japan but the inspection officer in Japan is saying citrus trees cannot be shipped to USA.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Re: Importing Citrus to USA from Japan
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:53:56 PM »
All I know is the USDA doesn’t play around when it comes to imported citrus trees

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 09:12:15 AM »
Hello,
I was curious if anyone has imported citrus trees from Japan to the USA. I tried to make sense of the CITEs and APHIS permit websites but I didn't quite grasp what I needed to do as a buyer. I am trying to purchase citrus trees from Japan but the inspection officer in Japan is saying citrus trees cannot be shipped to USA.

It can be done if you have a vendor in Japan that's willing to get a phytosanitary certificate for the citrus and work with you and an agent(s) at the USDA. Probably too prohibitive and expensive for a non-commercial purchase. Just be aware that the USDA is very vigilant about imported citrus from ANY foreign country due to the current problem with Hunglongbing (Citrus greening) basically ruining the national citrus crop. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, but just be aware it's going to be exceedingly difficult to get it through USDA inspection and quarantine. It would be far easier for you to find varieties of citrus already inspected and growing at nurseries in your home state than trying to import them at this time.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 11:11:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure it isn't just a matter of a phyto; the USDA has a federal quarantine order relating to import of citrus from HLB infested countries, and Japan is on the list. You can't even import citrus seed from Japan into the US. A phytosanitary certificate is what you need in the normal case, but where there's a quarantine order, you'd need a specific import permit exempting you from that requirement. I would be shocked if USDA would issue an import permit for a citrus tree from Japan to a home-gamer, given the inability of an average person to prove that they could provide adequate containment of risk.