Author Topic: Has anyone here ever tasted Peach Palm  (Read 2384 times)

Faslan

• Srilanka
    • View Profile
Has anyone here ever tasted Peach Palm
« on: November 12, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »
has anyone ever tasted ripe Peach Palm (Bactris gasipaes)fruits, how about it's taste

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Has anyone here ever tasted Peach Palm
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »
Yes...Ian's guys fixed them for us during one of our PR visits.  I believe it was boiled, then mashed flat, then fried if I remember correctly.  Add a little salt and eat.  I thought they were pretty good.  Everyone else must have thought so too cause they went fast.  If had the chance, would experiment with some sort of dipping sauce.  Different from potatoes for sure.  Maybe some of the other guys remember more?

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »

Peach palm fruit, called pejibaye here in Costa Rica, are only peach-like in their shape and their red or orange color. They are starchy and not sweet, sort of like chestnuts. They are very popular bocas here, usually served boiled and halved, seeded with a dollop of mayo in the seed depression. Yummy! I have never seen them mashed and fried, at least in CR. Usually that delicacy is created with unripe and mashed plantains.

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
Hello

I use to make marmelade, cake, biscuits with them. After boiling about 20 minutes you can take off the peal then you boiled again. You can dry them or cook. Let your imagination go. It starchy and fat also.

Philippe Cartry

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »
Costa Rica has a pejibaye festival where you can find any number of concoctions made from the starchy, oily fruit.  We boil them and eat as a snack, cut them into chunks and add to a stir-fry.  You can mash them and make fritters, my favorites have some cream cheese mixed in.  Pejibaye is a staple and is sold on the street for eating out of hand and offered in supermarkets cooked, still hot for immediate consumption. 
Fresh and raw they don't keep very well, a couple, three days maybe.  Cooked and refrigerated they will last for much, much longer.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 10:42:36 PM »
Yes i've eaten them. They are delicious! Their taste remind me a lot of winter squash.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
I tried them in Colombia , Not A fan , However My Wife Loved Them .

Ed
Zone 10

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »
In Hawai'i we have a very delicious hybrid of B. gasipaes and some other Bactris species. It's not common, but it's starting to gain some popularity thanks to the pioneering work of John Mood. The fruit is relatively small compared to typical pejibaye, but has a thin skin that doesn't need peeling and a higher oil content than the common low-oil, high-starch types. It's versatile and delicious, a truly great fruit.
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 02:49:19 AM »
I have had them a couple times,  they taste great,  just had them boiled,  smelled like someone making popcorn.  spiny tree would scare the heck even out of Freddy Kruger.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk