Author Topic: Meat smoking wood from your yard  (Read 7680 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Meat smoking wood from your yard
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
I've been a meat smoker for a very long time and I also have a fire pit so I always have lots of pecan, oak and hickory firewood for the smoker.
My Dad also sent me a bunch of pear and apple tree wood that I use sparingly to flavor my meats.

At home I use trimmings from my peach trees and grape vines but now that I'm coming to a point where I'm needing to pull or trim some trees I am wondering if any of you folks use your fruit wood for smoking meats? If so which ones?

In particular I would like to know about I may have LOTS of lychee wood if it doesn't fruit, trimmings from mango, carambola, mulberry, canistel, loquat, anonna, guava, jabo, and persimmon?

Regards,

Gary

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Re: Meat smoking wood from your yard
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:03:44 PM »
Gnappi mango wood is toxic as well as cashew I imagine anything within that family (Anacardiaceae) is a nope for smoking meats. Filipinos use guava :) for smoked fish only (sorry!) Will ask around and post if I get reasonable replies (when people say something I ask more questions till I'm satisfied something is legit).

Regarding mango and relatives - supposedly burned for smudging and fumigation but the locals avoid the smoke as it is a lung irritant and that even pet birds (chooks etc) are removed from an area prior to burning those kind of woods.

Guava - fish
Ipil ipil (Leucaena leucocephala) - meat and fish
Santol - meat
Mulberry - meat
Citrus trimmings (pomelo, Calamondin) - meat and fish
Carob - meat
Tamarind - fish and meat
Lychee, Longan, Rambutan, Alupag - meat (chicken preferably)
Jackfruit - meat (pork)
Durian - meat but just a bit! Was told it could make the meat have a bitter taste depending on the specific Durian cultivar? Maybe they meant those trees with fruits that have a bitter undertone is not good for smoking.
Carambola, Kamias (A bilimbi) - fish

Big no - supposedly star apple (A cainito) and Batwan (Garcinia binucao) also used as smoky fumigation wood same as mango & related trees.

Our bed and brekkie lady will ask around later today and we'll see if she has more suggestions when we get back this evening. She said when they smoke meats and fish both wood (for embers) and leaves (for more flavour kick) is used. The leaves apparently go on top of the wood.

BTW did you build your own smoker? How large is it? big enough to fit usual chopped wood or do you prefer the chipped wood setup?

Have badgered our tour guides in Sagada to no end on this topic and I am about to become a permanent fixture in the hanging coffins me thinks so I'll zip it with these smoking food Qs for today :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:25:09 PM by DimplesLee »
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
I belong to a smokers forum and got one unintelligible answer.

I found this one, check this link:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#appropriate

It has some woods but not everything I have in the yard. Thanks and keep me posted if you find anything, I figure this site is better than most for info on uses for tropical fruit wood.

PS, no I didn't build it, my last one I put together using two bullet smokers stacked like a 2 stage rocket to get more capacity, now I just use a single bullet as I don't fish anymore and don't need thew capacity.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:50:09 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 11:38:55 PM »
All Spice (Pimento)is a great wood for smoking

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »
where i grew up in central florida, citrus wood was prized as a cooking wood.  i still like it, but it's not easy to find here..
treefrog land and cattle company

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 09:20:59 PM »
where i grew up in central florida, citrus wood was prized as a cooking wood.  i still like it, but it's not easy to find here..

I have read of lemon and lime (I have neither ) but surprisingly orange is always absent. I trimmed my guavas today and have a carambola trunk to cut up as well as the mulberry. I may never need to buy smokewood again 🍌
Regards,

Gary

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:47 AM »
You made me realise I should really work on a smoker! Maybe smoke out my annoying neighbour lol. Wonder if they'll complain about the smoke or zip it and wait for smoked meat peace offerings.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »

yes it's really good, and actually easy for me to find, with all the declining citrus trees... I have a good supply here in town.

also the best ever...is Jabuticaba!

we smoked some meat with the branches, and it was amazing...remind me of jerk chicken...i guess cuz it's related to allspice.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »

yes it's really good, and actually easy for me to find, with all the declining citrus trees... I have a good supply here in town.

we smoked some meat with the branches, and it was amazing...remind me of jerk chicken...i guess cuz it's related to allspice.

no kidding? jabo, huh?! too bad I don't have enough on my tree to spare any for smoking!

will keep that in mind.

in Hawaii, we use a lot of guava esp strawberry guava is a good one to use.  it's invasive here!

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »
That you have enough mature jabos to have enough (I assume branches from pruning?) To use for smoking meats...
Me cry! If Oscar +1s this jabos are good for smoking - I will prob faceplant myself someplace out of depression all day lol.
Okay jabos and allspice and most other citrus except orange are good as well. Noted.