Author Topic: Any truth to story of Tim Thomson going out of business?  (Read 10643 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Any truth to story of Tim Thomson going out of business?
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »
I have a friend with a few of these mangoes flowering this year and I think he kept a fruit or 2 of a lower branch and let the top grow more. He planted them last fall into the ground.

I have little mango experience but the consensus agrees with Rob, especially for growing in California since the plants can actually stop growing from the stress.

Tim Thompson was reluctant to sell to people that are more north in California at first. He said there's a limit to the cold tolerance. Somehow he ended up doing that anyway. Maybe because people really wanted it.

He said to my group that his clonal rootstock was airlayered. It was supposed to be very fast growing and cold tolerant yet found to root pretty easily. That must be really hard to make enough to sell his trees. That or he switched to regular rootstocks or tissue cultured from that rootstock.

Eirlis

• Lake Forest, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
I wonder if there are people out there that pay for trees and never receive them?
Tim promise me he was going to bring his mangos to my tasting but always came up with excuses.

Yes. I pre-ordered a tree and never received it and he never responded to my attempts to contact him. At least it was only for one tree, so I'm not out very much.

wussero

• usa, ca/Southern, oxnard ,10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
BS Bully,

Mango trees are unique,  in that it will exhaust itself if you do not let it fruit enough before picking it off.  This is Tim's instructions, and he is right.

One must have the mango's about 1.5 CM, to then pick it off. 
This insures the plant will go into it's vegetative growth mode, otherwise it runs the risk of wanting to create more fruit.

My tree currently got the idea.  I did accidentally brush some tiny fruit early. when I was getting rid of the deteriorating dried out flours.

Yesterday, I noticed new leaves are starting to grow. which is good.

For the remaining 3-4 fruits on the tree.  I am waiting for them to get 1.5 cm, then pick them off.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
BS Bully,

Mango trees are unique,  in that it will exhaust itself if you do not let it fruit enough before picking it off.  This is Tim's instructions, and he is right.

One must have the mango's about 1.5 CM, to then pick it off. 
This insures the plant will go into it's vegetative growth mode, otherwise it runs the risk of wanting to create more fruit.

My tree currently got the idea.  I did accidentally brush some tiny fruit early. when I was getting rid of the deteriorating dried out flours.

Yesterday, I noticed new leaves are starting to grow. which is good.

For the remaining 3-4 fruits on the tree.  I am waiting for them to get 1.5 cm, then pick them off.

Most definitely, mangoes are extremely unique.  Especially those ultra rare cold hardy varieties.  😅😂😄😄😔😔🙊🙉🙈

Yeah, Im just an idiot who knows nothing.  You follow ole Timmy and you will be just fine.  Now where did I put that cup of kool aid...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:11:03 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »
I'am not happy that he might be failing but just trying to find out facts of the matter! :o I find it interesting that folks claim there are no cold hardy Mango's when I understand that there are varieties from India that grow in colder mountain regions! Or is that a hoax's too!
Would be interesting to find out for sure!

I wouldn't be surprised if a cold hardy mango was discovered someday.  Maybe next year, maybe not in my lifetime.  My rationale for is Dr. Campbell claimed that the jackfruit from Fairchild's jackfruit program as seedlings survived a freeze that killed mature jackfruit right next to the seedlings.  Thus, all of Fairchild's seedling jackfruit are likely more cold tolerant than regular jackfruit.  Get 10,000 mango seeds and plant them in a colder temperature, see what survives.  Repeat this enough and you should get a cold tolerant mango.  After getting a cold tolerant mango, then the process would be repeated for other desireable characteristics, like good tasting, productive, disease resistance, etc. 

It is far easier to buy mangos from www.MangosByMail.com, than to develop a cold hardy mango.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »
Don't cold tolerant mangoes already exist? According to Dr. Campbell, and some members of this forum, any species of mangifera, and there are many, can be called a "wild mango". I don't personally agree with that, but if it's true then cold tolerant wild mangoes already exist. There are species of mangifera that naturally occur at higher elevations. They may not be tolerant to frost, but they are going to be more cold tolerant then regular mango.
It seems to me that it would be a LOT easier to hybridize some of these species with regular mango than to select from 10,000 seedling mangoes over 2 generations of out growing.
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »
Don't cold tolerant mangoes already exist? According to Dr. Campbell, and some members of this forum, any species of mangifera, and there are many, can be called a "wild mango". I don't personally agree with that, but if it's true then cold tolerant wild mangoes already exist. There are species of mangifera that naturally occur at higher elevations. They may not be tolerant to frost, but they are going to be more cold tolerant then regular mango.
It seems to me that it would be a LOT easier to hybridize some of these species with regular mango than to select from 10,000 seedling mangoes over 2 generations of out growing.

My point is I think it is possible.  I've seen 3 gal in ground mango trees survive down to 28F without significant damage.  This wasn't "special" cold tolerant trees, but cold preparation ahead of the freeze, such as irrigation a few days before the cold to trap in warmth.  Other factors, such as a short cold snap, no wind, etc. helped the trees.

I think the "wild mango" has rootstock compatibility issues; Fairchild had to double graft with an internode species to get surviving. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 12:40:51 AM »
Cold hardy hybrids could be possible, depending on how cold you call cold. Mangifera austroyunnanensis grows to 1400m and mangifera sylvatica to 1500-1600m. Not sure if they would cross easily with true mangos. Mangifera rubropetala has good characteristics as well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 01:28:05 AM »

My point is I think it is possible.  I've seen 3 gal in ground mango trees survive down to 28F without significant damage.  This wasn't "special" cold tolerant trees, but cold preparation ahead of the freeze, such as irrigation a few days before the cold to trap in warmth.  Other factors, such as a short cold snap, no wind, etc. helped the trees.

I think the "wild mango" has rootstock compatibility issues; Fairchild had to double graft with an internode species to get surviving.

First of all  i wasn't talking about using cold hardy rootstock, but rather about hybridizing (using pollen from one species onto another). Also the problem Fairchild's had with root compatibility was on using regular rootstock mango to graft on Wani (Mangifera caesia) scions. Those 2 are incompatible, but i believe that most species are compatible, and that the exceptions are few. For example, kuini (Mangifera odorata) and kasturi (Mangifera kasturi) are compatible with mango, and even those 2 species are found at higher elevations than mango. So probably some cold hardiness could be developed, the only question is how significant the cold hardiness would be?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:30:52 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 03:18:43 AM »
I think my duncan is cold tolerant.  It was outside all winter long. And it grew out to be very nice and is flowering like crazy like now.  Will  post some pictures .

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 05:36:54 AM »
I thought that my gomera 1 was killed by the extreme cold we got this winter (-6.5C), but yesterday i saw that she is sprouting from roots! Just impressive!  ;D

wussero

• usa, ca/Southern, oxnard ,10A
    • View Profile
Mango Tree survived.
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
It has been another few years.  The tree has survived 32-34 degree temperatures this past month without damage.  Although growing slowly, it started budding on the branch that refused to bud in earlier years.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:11:41 PM by wussero »

mirrabellam

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2021, 04:40:55 PM »
I still miss those mangos!

meantinc

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »
I still miss those mangos!

Oh my God, thanks for letting us know! Appreciate that you shared this with us! This is what kept us awake during the nights. Here is a link to an invoice factoring company, thought you might need it, since you liked those mangos. https://factorforyou.com/california-factoring/ Next time, when you bring up an out of topic sobject, make sure that this won't get you blocked for spamming! I'm going to report you, and I think that others will do the same thing. Best of luck in your beginnings, hope to never see you again spamming.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 05:59:09 PM by meantinc »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
Spamallamadingdong?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2021, 12:34:06 AM »
The spam bots have conversations with each other about nothing.  Next post they make will have a link to some lame ass product. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk