Author Topic: Banana Help  (Read 740 times)

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Banana Help
« on: August 03, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »
My bananas’ leaves started yellowing and folding down and I don’t know why.

I included a soil test and already applied fertilizer and foliar feeding since the test.

I gave them extra water yesterday but no difference.

Located in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles)

Any suggestions?

sumtingwong

• US, CA, SFV Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Banana Help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
Also in SFV and my banana plant looks in  quite similar condition to yours. I am a beginner myself so I'm interested in following this thread. I have noticed that my bananas would have leaves looking lush and after about a month begin to look like the leaves in your picture and then shrivel up. I only give my banana plant a bunch of steer manure and compost (the bagged one from home depot) and a lot of water.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 04:44:57 PM »
Seems fine.  My banana trees look like a mess but they make bannas.  Its hot and dry and windy in southern CA so bananas dont look like they do in the tropics. 
Brad Spaugh

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »
Sorry, I can't give you localized but generalized advice on what's worked for me.

I've been growing bananas for over 12 years, and at one point or another I've had great success with over a dozen varieties. Right now I only have three varieties a Zebrina Roho (Musa Sumatrana Rojo x Gran Nain cross) and two dwarf types like a dwarf cavendish.

What I've found is bananas like water, moderate amounts of fertilizer and decent well drained mulched soil. Other than that I've always considered them rather low maintenance. Not long ago I had one korm die when I experimented with an increased regimen of fertilizer. Anyway, mine have always been grown in partial sun and do well, while cuttings I've given to friends who have them in full sun don't do as well. Too little water? No fertilizer? poor care in general? I don't know.

Y'all may want to scoot over to bananas.org, those folks are a wellspring of info on bananas many likely closer to you than Florida.
Regards,

Gary

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 06:26:58 PM »
Also in SFV and my banana plant looks in  quite similar condition to yours. I am a beginner myself so I'm interested in following this thread. I have noticed that my bananas would have leaves looking lush and after about a month begin to look like the leaves in your picture and then shrivel up. I only give my banana plant a bunch of steer manure and compost (the bagged one from home depot) and a lot of water.

Yes this is the same exact thing that happened to me. They were fine when it got to 108 a couple months ago but for some reason aren’t doing well now.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 10:55:19 PM »
Here in Florida my banana leaves droop like that when the weather is hot and sunny. In the evenings they often bounce back and flatten out again. On rainy days they never droop. I think its because bananas are native to areas that get a lot of rainy overcast weather. So even though they need high levels of light, they get shaded by the overcast weather. Maybe your California sun is a little intense for them right now.