Author Topic: First confirmed Jumbo Kesar in SoCal?  (Read 3035 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: First confirmed Jumbo Kesar in SoCal?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2020, 10:24:41 PM »
Sorry everyone but big disappointment. This mango is not a true Jumbo Kesar. It was just a VP. My friend did get reliable scions from a reputable source but he probably got them mixed up with all his trees. The search continues. We still have several Jumbo Kesar trees growing so hopefully we will eventually get a proven Jumbo Kesar here soon.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2020, 04:57:39 PM »
Sorry everyone but big disappointment. This mango is not a true Jumbo Kesar. It was just a VP. My friend did get reliable scions from a reputable source but he probably got them mixed up with all his trees. The search continues. We still have several Jumbo Kesar trees growing so hopefully we will eventually get a proven Jumbo Kesar here soon.

Simon

Disappointed to hear that it wasn't Jumbo, he probably has grafts allover and maybfruit in the future.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2020, 11:38:35 PM »
Yes, I agree. I’m sure he has the real scions as he revealed his source to me but it is a huge issue to have unlabeled or misslabeled grafts. One of the issues with multigraft trees. Hopefully the true Jumbo will fruit next year.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2020, 01:52:15 AM »
What a bummer, but I knew this was our friend's VP the minute I saw it. Multigrafted trees are a hassle, its hard to match varieties that preform equally w respect to new growth. Our friend has dozens of mango trees that are mostly multigrafted. Unless you stay on top of it an label all grafts you wont be able to keep up and that's precisely what happen in this case. He has multiple Jumbo Kesar trees and grafts from multiple sources, I'm sure he'll fruit a Jumbo kesar one day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk