Author Topic: Searching for Abiu  (Read 2423 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Searching for Abiu
« on: October 27, 2020, 07:24:44 PM »
I'm searching for a reputable grower of abiu who sells in at least 3 gal. Named varieties are preferred but I would be willing to purchase seedlings. Does anybody know where I can go to buy some of these trees?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Abiu
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 07:36:24 PM »
If you are in FL, Excalibur fruit trees should have these. Also you can check with Pine Island Nursery. I was also looking for this plant and had a hard time finding it - took about 2 years. Hawaiin Tropicals Nursery also has these and they ship. Hope that helps!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:23:34 PM »
I dont know anywhere that sells grafted abiu.  Even finding a seedling is not that easy and anything larger than a 3 gal is basically dreaming.

I assume the OP has a well heated greenhouse...
- Rob

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 10:13:01 PM »
I searched online and found plantogram sells 1.5 - 2ft tall Abiu ( they don't mention it being grafted so it is a seedling) for over $100 and then add shipping price to that.
There are local nurseries down here in South FL where i saw Abiu being sold in 3g. The plant looked like 1ft tall on a 3g pot and was being sold for $40. The tag is from ZHPP nursery. I contacted ZHPP and asked if they graft Abiu and they said all their Abiu are seedlings.
I am not a reputable seller and don't want to be in selling business but i saved some seeds from a good tasting Abiu we purchased during our fruit hunting trips. There is a youtube video we made of that Abiu - https://youtu.be/fvRqgxL9Inw

And seedlings from that batch are now 3 months old and growing good, their root system gets extensive very fast so will need to up-pot them soon. If you want a few seedlings i can ship to you, i have listed them in my garden clearance sale post here.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:53:40 AM »
The abiu in the link are probably not the finest examples of what this species has to offer. The most reliable selections are also the ones selected for size, no staining of flesh, having only one or two seeds at most and low latex. They do fruit fast from seeds.

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »
The abiu in the link are probably not the finest examples of what this species has to offer. The most reliable selections are also the ones selected for size, no staining of flesh, having only one or two seeds at most and low latex. They do fruit fast from seeds.

Mike T, which varieties have you tried that taste good and that you can recommend with all the above mentioned characteristics?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 04:19:54 PM »
I think in Florida they don't have the same names or variety types are not used as much. Here the better ones include gray,Z4,Z2,T35,E4 and there are a few hard to find ones like Inca Gold that don't seem to be around anywhere any more.

They tend to be more spherical.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 07:03:44 PM »
I think in Florida they don't have the same names or variety types are not used as much. Here the better ones include gray,Z4,Z2,T35,E4 and there are a few hard to find ones like Inca Gold that don't seem to be around anywhere any more.

Thanks for the info Mike. In your experience are the spherical ones better in taste/low latex compared to ones with a pointy beak?

GrowInFlorida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »

Thank you for the info. Seems that there is no varietal abundance here, the only commercially available one is Zill's. let's hope that Zill's abiu is one of the good varieties.
P.S. wow does it really taste like creme caramel?  :D

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 08:28:04 PM »
Hi all
Here in PR abiu take 2 years to bear fruit .No need to be grafted. In my experience all are true type.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 08:38:30 PM »
I dont know anywhere that sells grafted abiu.  Even finding a seedling is not that easy and anything larger than a 3 gal is basically dreaming.

I assume the OP has a well heated greenhouse...

How heated is well heated? Do you have any idea how cold they can go and be comfortable?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 08:42:16 PM »
I hear about the Zill's but I don't know how to get one.
Thank you for the info. Seems that there is no varietal abundance here, the only commercially available one is Zill's. let's hope that Zill's abiu is one of the good varieties.
P.S. wow does it really taste like creme caramel?  :D

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 08:43:40 PM »
It's a shame we can't get the varieties you have Oz.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 05:05:45 AM »
It isn't whether there is a nipple or not or how white or translucent the flesh in my experience that gives you optimism it is the perfect spherical shape. In another thread marissa from florida is Gray here I think and is good. Whitman grew it in Florida. The taste of the best ones always has a caramel thing going on and not in a sapodilla way. A few also have a vanilla taste in there. No sticky latex is my main thing.

A recent pic of possible inca gold shows no latex and no stains or bruising in spite of dropping from a height. It is small because the tree is not watered.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 05:07:22 AM »
Correction there is a little latex as maybe from sitting for a while before the pic and I didn't notice it at the time.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 06:29:08 AM »
Frankie’s here in Oahu has a selected variety called “shave ice”. I like it A LOT

GrowInFlorida

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »
Frankie’s here in Oahu has a selected variety called “shave ice”. I like it A LOT
What does it taste like?

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 12:07:28 PM »
What does it taste like?

Saying it is sweet is not fair.  There’s a nice honey twang to it.

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »

What!? Awe man I gotta get there one day.. too bad they don’t ship to neighbor islands!
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 03:19:56 AM »

You always get the giant fruits! (Like erdon Lee) you should bring it all to America lol. Have you ever tried Marissa Abiu? I read that that was the best one from other posts, but they probably never had any of the types you listed..

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 05:44:08 AM »
LL when size collides with quality and a handsome appearance the result is the wow factor. I think I am going through a yellow phase as lots of fruit I have been trying lately are yellow. I think Picasso had a blue period.

GrowInFlorida

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
LL when size collides with quality and a handsome appearance the result is the wow factor. I think I am going through a yellow phase as lots of fruit I have been trying lately are yellow. I think Picasso had a blue period.

The Blue period and the Rose period  ;D

GrowInFlorida

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 10:37:22 AM »
What does it taste like?

Saying it is sweet is not fair.  There’s a nice honey twang to it.

Would love to see a tasting video! Sounds exciting! Not many abiu tasting videos online...

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »
In regards to Abiu trees in Florida:
They do better in an acidic to semi acidic soil.
They bear fruit better when there are two or more plants nearby.
They do not tolerate cold weather (30s degree or colder) too well.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 08:18:38 PM »
Related but not:
Does anyone know which abiu varieties are at Fruit and Spice Park? I have two 7 year old seedlings from a fruit I ate there and they just started flowering last summer. Curious to know the parentage. Rumor has it that one was a Grey the other was a Z-4??
Keith