Author Topic: What is the largest diameter scion?  (Read 686 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
What is the largest diameter scion?
« on: November 23, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
For example if I have  3 inch diameter root stock can I graft a 3 in diameter scion to it? Are there any guidelines specific to different species?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: What is the largest diameter scion?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 09:52:24 PM »
I am pretty sure that this can be done, just getting a scion that large is one heck of an ordeal. If I had a rootstock that big, I would just veneer graft onto that with a smaller scion, or even graft onto a smaller branch on the rootstock.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
There are several options.  I would probably favor cutting the rootstock off and then grafting onto a new sprout.
Peter

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
I would say all depends on hardness of wood on type of tree your grafting.
I've personally grafted white sapote with 1" diameter wood but had to use small wood plan to get cuts nice and flat. Also on that experience I did whip and tongue graft's and wrapped graft's with thick 1" wide poly tape and on one of the graft's I came back to tree next day to see one of the graft's had slipped out of position (out of graft) because of tight wrapping of graft. Luckily I was able to un-wrap graft and wrap again but not as tight. That's one thing that folks don't think about with plastic tape used to wrap graft's because it has memory (tape). After you stretch it on graft it relaxes back to original size meaning it put's great holding power around graft and can move a whip or whip & tongue graft.