Author Topic: Mexicola avocado cuttings  (Read 1705 times)

jwstepp

• US, Texas, Richmond, 9
    • View Profile
Mexicola avocado cuttings
« on: April 17, 2021, 04:18:54 PM »
I am interested in buying some mexicola avocado cuttings, graft wood, and/or scions.   I live in the Houston Texas area.

Thanks.

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
Re: Mexicola avocado cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 04:36:44 PM »
PMed you
Robert

jwstepp

• US, Texas, Richmond, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 04:53:21 PM »
??

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 05:03:16 PM »
Sent you a message, I have a mature tree I can sell you cuttings/scions from
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:05:50 PM by Bobooshki »
Robert

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 05:40:40 PM »
I have a Mexicola Grande Avocado that needs cutting back... would that work for you?

Kevin

Lukester

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
Hey Kevin and Bobooshki, I PMed you.

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »
Feel free to PM me if someone else would like to buy cuttings of Mexicola. This is a mature tree that has been fruiting many years for me.

This is one of my absolute favorite avocados - they’re delicious and you can eat them like a piece of fruit.
Robert

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
Hey Bobo,
My Mexicola Grande bloomed this Spring... but has yet to set fruit.
Glad to hear the fruit is as good as advertised.

Kevin

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »
Kevin,

It’s delicious. My son likes to eat them like an apple. They are very creamy and the tree has been very precocious for me.

This tree is also incredibly cold hardly. I’ve never seen this tree even get leaf damage after a frost.
Robert

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 07:46:58 PM »
Hardiness and delicious fruit were the 2 primary characteristics that helped me decide to purchase this avocado plant... glad to hear of your experience.
Thanks Bobo...

Kevin

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 10:32:19 PM »
Mex and mex grande arent the same.  Mex grande is decent Kevin, I liked it better than regular mex.  The problem with these avocados is they get ripe and fall off super fast like 1-2 weeks.  I see a lot of people saying mexicola is really good but I thought it was so small and big seed and mediocre taste.  I chopped it down and grafted sharwil on it.  I still have the mex grande and stewart trees but thinking about top working them as well.

I realize you may not have as many options with the weather.  the mex grande tree is a avocado weed tree.  It needs to be planted in the ground to be happy, the tree is a beast.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:34:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
Mex and mex grande arent the same.  Mex grande is decent Kevin, I liked it better than regular mex.  The problem with these avocados is they get ripe and fall off super fast like 1-2 weeks.  I see a lot of people saying mexicola is really good but I thought it was so small and big seed and mediocre taste.  I chopped it down and grafted sharwil on it.  I still have the mex grande and stewart trees but thinking about top working them as well.

I realize you may not have as many options with the weather.  the mex grande tree is a avocado weed tree.  It needs to be planted in the ground to be happy, the tree is a beast.

Brad how old was your Mexicola avocado tree? The avocados were not very good the first 3 years from the tree and once it matured the taste dramatically changed. They ripened unevenly at first and the taste was a bit bland. After a few years this tree makes some delectable fruit.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:58:04 AM by Bobooshki »
Robert

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
it was 4 or 5 years old and pretty large.  i had several years straight with weak flowering and then fruit drop in october.  i think its too hot where I live, the bigger slwer ripening avocados do better here.  I could see it doing better closer to the ocean and further north. 
Brad Spaugh

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 08:34:08 PM »
it was 4 or 5 years old and pretty large.  i had several years straight with weak flowering and then fruit drop in october.  i think its too hot where I live, the bigger slwer ripening avocados do better here.  I could see it doing better closer to the ocean and further north.

Interesting, it’s extremely productive for me on the Space Coast of Florida. I’ve progressively gotten more and more fruit from this tree every year.
Robert

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 09:57:41 AM »
I am thinking you may not have had the right scion grafted to your Mexicola.

That is exactly the opposite experience we've had with ours.  Mexicola is one of my favorite avocados by far.

I find it difficult to eat some other varieties due to how good they are.  Mexicola Grande is also quite good--like Spaugh said, though, it is a monster of a tree and needs space to stretch its legs.

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »

That is exactly the opposite experience we've had with ours.  Mexicola is one of my favorite avocados by far.

I find it difficult to eat some other varieties due to how good they are.  Mexicola Grande is also quite good--like Spaugh said, though, it is a monster of a tree and needs space to stretch its legs.

Your experience is similar to mine, one of my absolute favorites with the added benefit of being able to eat it out of hand like any other fruit!
Robert

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 03:14:21 PM »

I'm relieved to hear your take on this Adam - since I too specifically opted for a Mexicola about ten years ago based on talk of its superiority and restrained habit. My tree is just starting to bear reliably these days, but I don't have a Grande that would allow me to make a fair comparison. Seems like a lot backyard avocado growers in my neighborhood tend to opt for Bacon for its hardiness - which is a shame b/c really tasty (but less commonly sold) stuff like Reed, Lamb Hass and Pinkerton have no trouble surviving this close to the water.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 04:01:27 PM »
I had mexicola, it was not worth growing for us.  Too small, seed too big, poor bearing, short season.  I realize many people like it I'm just giving my honest assessment.  Hass, fuerte, sir prize, reed, jan boyce, sharwil, green gold,....  they all crush mexicola.   Its all relative.  I also realize those varieties I mentioned won't all grow everywhere else.  Most grow poorly in FL.  Even mex grande I think is mediocre really.  Ill probably top work the tree before it gets 50ft tall.

If you have a big mexicola tree and the other types will grow for you then you should graft some of them up.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:12:01 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 04:45:31 PM »
You kind of nailed it for me at the end of your post there. I grew up in South Bay LA , and while I desperately wanted to put a tree in the ground when I bought my house here 20 years ago, out of an abundance of frost caution I finally opted for Mexicola. It's only been in the years since that I've met so many folks up here having success with the varieties you mention that I've since added Sharwil (jury's still out), Carmen and Sir Prize to that list.

I'm not about to take a chainsaw to my Mexicola at this late date, but given the limits of my 6000 sf lot,  I sure wish I had a do over.

odin.9

• 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 11:46:31 AM »

How old is your Mexicola?
Do you have experience with other Avocados in your climate? which ones would you recommend besides Mexicola in your climate?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk