Author Topic: Blueberries in FL  (Read 898 times)

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
Blueberries in FL
« on: August 18, 2021, 11:13:44 PM »
Has anyone had luck growing blueberries in FL? I've tried several varieties and failed all of them.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberries in FL
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 06:29:07 AM »
Don't they need a super low PH? It will be easier to grow it in pots and use a strong acid to lower your waters PH down to the required range. A weak acid like vinegar might not work long term if there is a strong base in your water.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

svennagel97

• Germany, NRW, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 06:56:05 AM »
In germany they grow wild near swamps. So soil acidity should be low, 5.5 or even lower. Also they're sensitive to calcareous water and too much fertilizer. If they can't get chill hours during winter, I doubt blueberries will grow well in your climate.
Regards,
Sven

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 08:17:11 AM »
It can be done; in pots is probably the easiest.

No luck down here either. But have seen them growing nice in pots at some nurseries.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
I've seen people in Tampa doing it very successfully. They grow specific varieties and have them in raised beds. I think it's a matter of getting the soil/nutrient environment exactly right, and planting a variety that does well in the heat. Some amount of shade is also likely essential. Check with the nurseries in your area, someone has probably at least tried growing them; their tips could save you some frustration.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
There is a large and successful commercial blueberry industry in Florida. Follow their lead and you can grow them in areas with some winter chilling. And even in south Florida they might work.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/AC031

My favorite varieties are from FL developed by Univ of FL. If you haven't eaten Sweetcrisp then you've missed out on the best I'm aware of. I've grown them in my greenhouse with as much as 26 brix and very crisp texture.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 02:30:09 PM »
How are you failing? Do they die or do you not get fruit? Curious because I'm moving near you (Vero) and want to continue growing blueberries.

In CA I don't bother putting them in the ground, the soil is wrong. As other people said there are Florida varieties, some of which I have here thriving in peat/pumice mix in half wine barrels. Add sulfur once a year and acid fertilizer as needed, I don't adjust my water pH (it's 7.5-7.8 ).
- Val

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 03:14:52 PM »
Blueberries are a pain to grow here.   Commercial growers use a lot of chemicals and I know of several who have given up and sold their land.  As said above, keep them in pots and it will be easier to maintain an acid soil.  Peat moss will lower the Ph.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 06:05:27 PM »
I picked up one from Lowes and got it to give me a decent amount of fruit the next spring.
It was it a 7 gal pot of peat on drip irrigation.

Sadly a racoon decided to remove the drip irrigation tubing and lost the plant.
Been meaning to try again but i never got around to it, also sunlight is at a premium in my yard

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 10:06:33 PM »
We grew bluberries when I was a boy. I'll tell you what I remember. You need the right variety, consistent water, good drainage, a complete fertilizer program, occational fungicide application, acid mulch/soil, and pest control. One of the most important elements is a fertilizer high in potassium and phosphorous (such as mono-potassium phosphate (0-30-15). We lost a lot of plants to root rot before we started using that fertilizer (even with what appeared to be perfect drainage). Potassium makes roots more resistant to disease. Another similar product that a lot of blueberry growers used was Nutri-phite (0-26-28). They will need some nitrogen as well from a balanced fertilizer (we used a time release such as ozmocote or multicote) and a source of minors (Keyplex makes a special blueberry formula). Acid mulch (such as pine bark fines or pine needles) is also helpful. Keep in mind, too that productivity drops the further south you get from I 4. If you are going to do all the work to grow them, I would start with 20 bushes. Planted 6x3 they will take up the same space as 1 fully grown mango tree and it is not that much more effort to care for 20 as compared to 1 or 2 and you will actually get a meaningful amount of fruit. I would also invest in bird netting. Once the birds find you its game over if you only have a few bushes. When we got out of blueberries, we kept about 50 bushes for personal consumption. In the years we don't net them we might pick a handful of berries that the birds missed when they got ripe. Finally, blueberries are not long lived in south Florida and need replaced about every 15-20 years typically. With the prices of plants these days, you may want to learn how to propagate your own from semi-hardwood cuttings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk