Author Topic: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order  (Read 35388 times)

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order
« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2023, 05:03:27 PM »
First signs of budding on the Female An Hai

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2023, 05:11:59 PM »
First signs of budding on the Female An Hai

you made me hop out of my desk chair and go check mine. Looks like 5 or 6 varieties of female trees will make it but not the male. Very happy and thanks for all those doling out advice

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2023, 05:19:54 PM »

you made me hop out of my desk chair and go check mine. Looks like 5 or 6 varieties of female trees will make it but not the male. Very happy and thanks for all those doling out advice

I’ve got about 15 or so males, don’t see any buds yet but definitely still alive, if any live I can help share scions

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 30, 2023, 05:23:09 PM »

I’ve got about 15 or so males, don’t see any buds yet but definitely still alive, if any live I can help share scions

Wow, thank you. Hopefully we can work out something in the future and I wont forget

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 30, 2023, 05:32:26 PM »

Are any of your males grafted? See a graft line?

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 30, 2023, 06:08:42 PM »

I believe a few are, hard to tell because more than half the labels of my trees fell off in transit and it’s a guessing game on most of them :( that said, I have a few that are grafted and labeled as male. I hope they make it.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 30, 2023, 06:27:05 PM »

I believe a few are, hard to tell because more than half the labels of my trees fell off in transit and it’s a guessing game on most of them :( that said, I have a few that are grafted and labeled as male. I hope they make it.
Same here LOL. If mine grow it'll either be biqi or wusu. All my males were seedlings. In the end it doesn't matter seedling or grafted, but seedling trees could be 50/50 chance for male so its a waiting game or DNA test time.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 30, 2023, 06:48:14 PM »
Nice thesimsdude!

I am a bit worried about Joe's comments in the previous video touring his place about trees that flush early (namely that they seem to die back and early flushes are a "last gasp") but you should have some grafting material at a minimum-

My tips are staying green over here and have some hope for new growth but hard to tell if I have anything like what you are showing under the parafilm

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 30, 2023, 06:50:18 PM »
Wow! Yeah, I think I see buds on my Biqi - the biggest tree I received.
- Val

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 30, 2023, 07:47:34 PM »
Nice thesimsdude!

I am a bit worried about Joe's comments in the previous video touring his place about trees that flush early (namely that they seem to die back and early flushes are a "last gasp") but you should have some grafting material at a minimum-

My tips are staying green over here and have some hope for new growth but hard to tell if I have anything like what you are showing under the parafilm

Yeah I saw that and am worried about it as well, I tried soaking them in rotting hormone water mixture, I guess I may just use a very small amount over the course of a few weeks on them, who knows, we will see what happens

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2023, 09:10:29 PM »
I think as long as you maintain high humidity and keep shaded, the buds and new growth can continue to grow fine.  It's like when new cuttings send out leaves before they have had a chance to grow roots.   I mist with a very diluted spray of seaweed so they can absorb some nutrients through their bark and leaves.

I had a couple plants leaf out pretty quickly last time and they continued to grow into healthy plants.  I don't remember having plants that took months to start growing buds and leaves like Joe.

Janet

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2023, 09:23:43 PM »
I think as long as you maintain high humidity and keep shaded, the buds and new growth can continue to grow fine.  It's like when new cuttings send out leaves before they have had a chance to grow roots.   I mist with a very diluted spray of seaweed so they can absorb some nutrients through their bark and leaves.

I had a couple plants leaf out pretty quickly last time and they continued to grow into healthy plants.  I don't remember having plants that took months to start growing buds and leaves like Joe.

Janet

This is great info- thanks Janet

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 30, 2023, 09:39:35 PM »
Here is an informative article from Australia.  In the longest section under questions at the end, the nursery says they "have no trouble growing them from cuttings" and elsewhere they mention some trees will be both male and female.

https://stfc.org.au/articles/myrica-rubra-the-red-bayberry-2/

Janet

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 30, 2023, 09:53:16 PM »
Here is an informative article from Australia.  In the longest section under questions at the end, the nursery says they "have no trouble growing them from cuttings" and elsewhere they mention some trees will be both male and female.

Janet

Thanks for sharing that article, Janet!

I have recently heard that the growers in China do not plant males, which is also confirmed in this article.

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 31, 2023, 05:05:43 PM »
Yes, I just heard from my exporter that they can provides some varieties with both female and male on same tree.

In addition to the varieties we already have, we can import the following varieties in the list in future https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=50041.msg482049#msg482049

3 Wuzi
10 Extra Early Hard Silk ( female, male on same tree)
12 Extra Eearly ( female, male on same tree)
19 Pink Bayberry
22 Big Leaf
24 Wu Mei
25 ZhaoJia, Early Biqi
and Early DongKui

If you are interested in getting any of these varieties, please reach out to me in private message or my email.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 06:11:55 PM by bill_bayarea »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 31, 2023, 06:35:52 PM »
Can anyone provide some guidance as to what mold under the parafilm will look like?

Does this look like it? specifically the dark banded portions

On a more positive note I think I am seeing some growth on one of my crystal

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 31, 2023, 07:25:31 PM »
Can anyone provide some guidance as to what mold under the parafilm will look like?

Looks fine to me, although I would take off the grafting tape now that you see buds swelling

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 31, 2023, 07:41:40 PM »

Janet

Interesting read. I wonder how accurate this statement is-"If this fruit is not matured at high humidity it has a prickly mouth feel" I wouldn't think anywhere in San Diego county is considered high humidity.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 01, 2023, 05:36:23 PM »

Looks fine to me, although I would take off the grafting tape now that you see buds swelling

I'm hesitant to take the wrap off unless there is mold...

No gh here and the bay is not known for being moist

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 04, 2023, 07:51:27 PM »
So does anyone have a verdict on when to unwrap?

I have some buds pushing growth now- but no method of humidity control otherwise

I unwrapped here because i was worried about that leaf browning

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:55:29 PM by elouicious »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 04, 2023, 11:31:48 PM »
Looks like you have some viable buds beneath the tape. With the branch unwrapped, make sure to keep the humidity high. I don’t wrap my trees anymore, I just keep them in high humidity to prevent them from drying out.

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 04, 2023, 11:32:48 PM »
So does anyone have a verdict on when to unwrap?

I have some buds pushing growth now- but no method of humidity control otherwise

I unwrapped here because i was worried about that leaf browning

I let the buds push through the tape. Tree was fine. Then removed the tape after the sun broke it down many months later. I’m not sure about buddy tape? The buds are meant to grow through too though so should be fine? Any other thoughts?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 05, 2023, 12:10:54 AM »
The tape stays!

thanks all- things are looking good at the moment but I am wary of mold or anything sending them downhill

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 05, 2023, 09:09:39 AM »
UH OH GUYS, I see a weird type of infection on some of the trees I’ve never seen before, looks like fungus or spores growing all through the buddy tape on a few trees, take a look, I’m going to cut them down to the rootstock and burn them

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 05, 2023, 10:31:41 AM »
UH OH GUYS, I see a weird type of infection on some of the trees I’ve never seen before, looks like fungus or spores growing all through the buddy tape on a few trees, take a look, I’m going to cut them down to the rootstock and burn them

Isn't that just mold? That tree is dead then...Just what happens to dead wood?