Author Topic: Fresh Durian sold anywhere? - Online or South Florida  (Read 569 times)

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Fresh Durian sold anywhere? - Online or South Florida
« on: August 20, 2022, 08:55:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Any known online or South Florida stores or homegrowers that offer fresh Durian? I would love to try one not frozen, but paying an arm and a leg for MiamiFruit isn't in the cards right now. Would appreciate any direction thanks!

- Dan

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Fresh Durian sold anywhere? - Online or South Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 09:29:12 AM »
If there was a home grower in Florida that had durian for sale that would be pretty remarkable. For a good quality durian experience you would have to travel. Closest would probably be Puerto Rico or Costa Rica.
At the moment we have nice durian that we have been selling every day, as they drop.
I understand that durian is being planted in Mexico in large quantities. So that will be coming if it works out. Durian can be particular.
Peter

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 05:14:08 PM »
i would like to know too.. i haven't tried Durian yet and i am dying to know where to be able to buy them localy

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 05:27:47 PM »
you can get them frozen in some asian markets.
New York Mart had them last time i was there (years ago)

As Finca said if you want it fresh you need to travel to somewhere that grows them locally.
That's not South Florida....yet

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »
Update for all: So yeah, definitely no fresh durian available anywhere and MiamiFruit is hit or miss when they do have availability, at least to my understanding.

Hope you know someone in Hawaii cause it seems that cold pack priority mail express from the only place in US that grows them would be the only realistic, likely-legal way.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 07:13:49 PM »
Update for all: So yeah, definitely no fresh durian available anywhere and MiamiFruit is hit or miss when they do have availability, at least to my understanding.

Hope you know someone in Hawaii cause it seems that cold pack priority mail express from the only place in US that grows them would be the only realistic, likely-legal way.

“Shipping or mailing most fresh fruits and vegetables from Hawaii to the continental United States is prohibited due to the risk of introducing certain invasive plant pests and diseases. However, there are a few exceptions. Fresh pineapple and coconut are permitted after inspection.”

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/plant_health/fs-ship-mail-from-hawaii.pdf