Author Topic: Maha blooming on one side only  (Read 487 times)

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Maha blooming on one side only
« on: December 06, 2022, 04:22:00 PM »
What causes a mango tree to produce blooms only on the North side of the tree? That's what I have right now. The tree is right in the middle of my backyard. Not a big deal, just wondering.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Maha blooming on one side only
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 06:01:23 PM »
Does it get sun all around? is there shade on one side? how far from walls or wind breaks?
Add a little more information and you may get a response.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 09:25:38 PM »
Tree is 7' tall, 6' wide. In the ground 1-1/2 years, 3" diameter trunk.
Sun all around all day, 22' from south side of the house, privacy fence 40' away.

Thanks

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 09:12:20 AM »
Upon further inspection this morning I do see some buds starting to push out on the very tips of the non-blooming branches. Fair chance they are blooms not foliage, but I'll know soon and will provide an update. Thanks

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »
I see this a lot in lychee-not as much in mango. It can get really wonky on huge old trees with an early, late, and no crop all on one tree. This happens the most frequently when part of a tree gets harvested or pruned on a different schedule and so flushes separate from the rest of the tree. Why a tree as young as your's would do it is hard to say. My thought is that maybe the tree has gotten large enough to shade itself slightly and make a few degrees temperature difference from one side to the other. Maybe that slight difference is enough to promote a flush a little sooner on one side.