Author Topic: What's the difference between the CCPP's different Femminello lemon varieties?  (Read 2113 times)

duffi

• Cerritos, California
    • View Profile

What's the difference between these Femminello varieties? Santa Teresa seems popular online, but is there any difference in flavor compared to the Siracusano 2KR? Apparently, Femminello Zagara Bianca is more productive and the best tasting? It has white flowers and the CCPP has a white-flowered variety called "Femminello Siracusano (White Flowered)" that is also from Italy. Are they the same or do they both just happen to have white flowers? Which Italian Lemon variety tastes the best/has the best rind? Also, does the Santa Teresa bloom consistently throughout the year like other Italian lemon varieties? There isn't much information about Italian lemons anywhere and UCR's information is not that helpful in differentiating varieties.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
I don't think you will be able to tell the difference. i have most of the lemon varieties UCR/CCPP sells and there is nothing really special about any specific one.

You might just get the VI-692 or the VI-929 for starters. I have a fruiting VI-692, 2K and it doesn't taste any different than the Lisbon or Eureka lemon to me. Also tasted the Amafi Coast lemon and not a lot of difference to me.

You might like the 9lb lemon, check it out on the variety database, the fruit is huge, gets to 9lbs if properly feed. My lemon only got to 3 lbs since I grafted to a weak rootstock.

Most lemons have many crops a year so it should be the same for most. The popular variety from your list is the Santa Teresa, I have it grafted so I should be able to compare the taste to the 2K this year.

You might think about getting the Seedless Lisbon or the Seedless Eureka, tastes the same as the seeded version and has good fruit production.

duffi

• Cerritos, California
    • View Profile
Thank you. I would be interested to see if the Santa Teresa's taste differs from the 2K.

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
I don't think you will be able to tell the difference. i have most of the lemon varieties UCR/CCPP sells and there is nothing really special about any specific one.

You might just get the VI-692 or the VI-929 for starters. I have a fruiting VI-692, 2K and it doesn't taste any different than the Lisbon or Eureka lemon to me. Also tasted the Amafi Coast lemon and not a lot of difference to me.

You might like the 9lb lemon, check it out on the variety database, the fruit is huge, gets to 9lbs if properly feed. My lemon only got to 3 lbs since I grafted to a weak rootstock.

Most lemons have many crops a year so it should be the same for most. The popular variety from your list is the Santa Teresa, I have it grafted so I should be able to compare the taste to the 2K this year.

Kaz, Have you made limoncello with your lemons? 

You might think about getting the Seedless Lisbon or the Seedless Eureka, tastes the same as the seeded version and has good fruit production.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk