Author Topic: Looking for Mango Sweet Tart Seeds  (Read 762 times)

Jbn66085

• Los Angeles, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Looking for Mango Sweet Tart Seeds
« on: May 10, 2023, 01:08:08 AM »
Hey everyone!

I have a recent interest in mangoes and would like to grow a delicious variety in Southern California. Sweet Tart variety seems like the way to go! Please PM me if you guys have a few you would like to sell. Thank you!

mcoambassador

• Growing fun fruit in my backyard garden.
    • USA, Florida, Oviedo, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mango Sweet Tart Seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 04:48:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum. So, unfortunately mangos don't grow true to type from seed, and even if they did, they would take 10 years to start fruiting from seed. You should look for a grafted tree, which will be true to type and fruit within a few years. I know there's a lot of nurseries that will ship, including Champa nursery in CA.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 05:13:56 PM »
ST is a great variety to grow from seed, for CA, from what I've heard. Give it a shot! I would post on the Tropical Fruit Plants Buy Sell and Trade thread, way more traffic.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 01:08:41 AM »
I believe Sweet Tart has polyembryonic seeds, so you will likely get fruit very similar, if not identical, to the mother tree. From my experience, it will probably be easier for you to find a grafted tree than it will be to find seeds. There are a limited number of California mango growers, and I haven't seen a lot of seeds being shared. There is a Facebook group for Southern California mango growers that has been pretty active in the past. You might try there.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 08:03:46 PM »
Florida and Socal are very different, you're looking at first flowering in 3 years from seed, and best results with either seed grown tree or grafting to an established rootstock (mature scion, or immature scion from seedling). Either way, you're likely to get a true-to-type offspring from the poly seed of ST, and more likely to get results from posting in the tropical fruit BST section of the boards.

Willie Hesenius

• Thailand, Mahasarakham, USDA 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 09:47:20 PM »
So, unfortunately mangos don't grow true to type from seed, and even if they did, they would take 10 years to start fruiting from seed. You should look for a grafted tree, which will be true to type and fruit within a few years. I know there's a lot of nurseries that will ship, including Champa nursery in CA.

Partially correct as it really needs twice the time to grow fruits.
BUT there are abundant "polyembrionic" Mango trees around the world that will bear true fruits from seeds.
(Google has Lists)

Standing out is here in Thailand the golden Nam Dok Mai. Juicy, almost no resin taste and not fibrous.
Sweet and tart just the right balance..

I got six trees from two seeds and all fruits taste identically..
Generally is said here, when you plant a Mango seed and it germinates with more than one sapling the tree is true fruiting. Maybe somebody can confirm this saying? 
Sometimes you need to go forward to come back to nature.