Author Topic: How does the Kishu Mandarin stack up against Tango and other cuties?  (Read 3946 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Plan on growing a few citrus including Gold Nugget, Tango, California Honey, and looking to top it off with Kishu...but only if it stacks up with the other small mandarin such as the Tango and other cuties.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: How does the Kishu Mandarin stack up against Tango and other cuties?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »
Kishu, is a lot smaller than any of the other three varieties you mention. Gold Nugget is a superior variety. - Millet

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »
My Seedless Kishu is on par with Gold Nugget, Tango, Page, Ponkan and Clemenules.  It is one of my top favorite citrus.  It is small, but is completely seedless, zipper skin, and rich, sweet and complex. 

Patty S.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »
Kishu, is a lot smaller than any of the other three varieties you mention. Gold Nugget is a superior variety. - Millet

My kishu have not been smaller than the mean average size of gold nugget.  It is still a young tree so the taste is not yet what it should be, but it isn't bad.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »
The quality of my Kishu cannot be beat.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
So the forum feedback is definately telling me that Kishu deserves a spot in my yard just as much as Gold Nugget, Tango, and Honey.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
I am all for you having a Kishu. I think around here the fruit size tends to be much smaller. So small Kishu is definitely not a commercial variety. They are very cute and can be as small as the last joint of your little finger. Biggest I've seen was about like a golf ball but that's just me. They are very sweet but usually with the variety I'm calling Kishu you will get many sizes. I would personally call Kishu a great novelty tree. Xie Shan is fantastic and very early so it should be considered too. My suggestion would be variety of maturity dates and also concentrate on tasty varieties. You probably don't want everything ripe at the same time. That's just my 2 cents. Most people like them all !