Author Topic: Can you attentionally turn a vigorous mango variety into a runt  (Read 618 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I always trying to explore the boundaries of possibilities and when you think that you're doing something novel and new. Chances are someone else has already tried.

So with that being said. If you put a vigorous mango variety in a large pot with the bottom cut out. Place it in the ground with the roots confined. Let it carry fruit from the get-go. Would that stunt it? And possibly delay it from growing like a rocket ship :)

This is my dilemma I have a lemon zest grafted onto a known dwarf rootstock. It dwarfs some varieties but not others no one really knows which or  kept track of which. The bearer of always good news informed me that there is no known rootstock that will dwarf lemon zest. I figured it wouldn't hurt since I don't have any more room for a large vigorous tree. I could leave it in the pot and just use it for budwood to graft onto one  of my vigorous most tree's.Most likely Ppk. Since growing it in a pot long term sounds like an exercise in futility. I think the best option would be to plant in the ground and try to restrain it. Worst case scenario i guess I could stumpify it every few years. This would be a 1 gallon sapling tree.
 Any ideas or thoughts
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:07:41 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Can you attentionally turn a vigorous mango variety into a runt
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:00:03 AM »
Any ideas or thoughts
Nah, only "intentionally," not "attentionally."
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 10:14:52 AM »
It was mentioned in some posts in the past. (I think by Mark in Texas)
A certain spray, maybe GA3, helps shorten the internode spacing of trees.

I don't have any first hand experience though, I like trees I can walk under.
Hopefully that is enough information for you to get started on research

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 10:22:07 AM »
I'm not going to call anyone out that's not what I do but there is a YouTube where someone claims that they've seen and have a Valencia  Pride that the roots have been confined and it has restrained its size.
You can't really tell much from a video the tree could have come from a nursery within the last week. Most YouTubers are long on wind and short on information
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:24:00 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 10:27:19 AM »
Of course a rootbound tree will eventually become stunted,  and will also be unhealthy and a good chance its survival will be questionable.

Planting a large pot in ground with the bottom cut out...that will give you a full sized tree.  Excalibur and other nurseries have practiced this to sell large, full sized healthy trees.  Just need a bobcat/backhoe to dig it out to move it.
- Rob

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 02:20:04 PM »
Keep it at the edge of death...

Decrease water, nitrogen, other needed minerals.
"Re: Can you attentionally turn a vigorous mango variety into a runt"

Cut it's lateral & tap roots often with an axe, pick, mattock, etc.
Keep new top visible growth chopped.
Get your knife, tourniquet string, axe, weedeater, etc. and consistently cut through the bark and cambium; forcing the tree to continue to heal the trunk and limbs rather than upward growth.

lol... then if it still wants to grow throw very very small amounts of salt or other substances known to kill trees if applied in large amounts...lol....

Have I ever done it? Heck no, Do you think I'm Crazy???  lol 

No, Really I have done some to stimulate bloom vs. growth but not with the intent of creating a dwarf.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »
Keep it at the edge of death...

Decrease water, nitrogen, other needed minerals.
"Re: Can you attentionally turn a vigorous mango variety into a runt"

Cut it's lateral & tap roots often with an axe, pick, mattock, etc.
Keep new top visible growth chopped.
Get your knife, tourniquet string, axe, weedeater, etc. and consistently cut through the bark and cambium; forcing the tree to continue to heal the trunk and limbs rather than upward growth.

lol... then if it still wants to grow throw very very small amounts of salt or other substances known to kill trees if applied in large amounts...lol....

Have I ever done it? Heck no, Do you think I'm Crazy???  lol 

No, Really I have done some to stimulate bloom vs. growth but not with the intent of creating a dwarf.

That actually sounds like good therapy. I live in a house with three women and a poodle. I'll treat it like a Brazilian pepper bush. You're right it's just a damn tree. If I get some budwood would out of it good. If I get a few fruit great. It sounds like really good therapy. When I get Vecked I'm about to blow my top. I'll just go outside and slap the tree around and do some pruning. I'm definitely qualified to almost Ring bark with a weed eater. I'll plant it next to the lemon tree I'm constantly whittling on that.
I feel much better now thank you :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk