Author Topic: The Florida Rambutan project (FGM)  (Read 10496 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: The Florida Rambutan project (FGM)
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 01:08:02 PM »
Where did you find your grafted trees? I love experimenting with things. I want to attempt fruiting in a container as well. I will be following this closely. Best of luck!
-Josh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: The Florida Rambutan project (FGM)
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 04:45:04 PM »
The Florida Rambutan project
Call me crazy but I am attempting to fruit a Rambutan outdoors in South Florida. This has already been done here but it is still pretty rare, having been accomplished maybe twice and on a small scale. It is much rarer than fruiting mangosteens here which has been done several times. Even the Whitman Pavillion of rare fruit trees lacks a Rambutan and that tells you something.  My plan is to attempt this with 3 grafted trees growing in pots of very acid soil. I am very aware that Rambus hate our native alkaline soils and that it would be a death sentence if I stuck them in the ground. What inspired me was seeing grafted Rambutan trees in Puerto Rico with fruit hanging on them! So far my trees are growing nicely and there is hope. I will report on my progress over the next year. 

My 3 grafted Rambutan trees

Leaves from my trees

Potted grafted tree from Puerto Rico with fruit

What I hope to have in the future

Any updates?

Thinking of trying rambutan in Miami area, want to know what other's experiences have been.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk