Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 107052 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »
Nice!

Is it Asimina triloba or Asimina parviflora?

its one of 'em trilobed types I hear!

an official poor man's banana!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
I'm afraid my little pawpaw seedlings aren't too happy. I have half-neglected them, so I can't say I'm too surprised.

I have kept them watered and fertilized occasionally with DynaGro Grow. They are in a Pro-Mix type of medium, in soda bottles that are about 8-10 inches tall.
They germinated about a year ago. They grew great last summer in very shady conditions. I kept them indoors after they went dormant last winter, and they started leafing out a couple months ago.
Since then I have had them outside under a black cotton twill "tent" which I am realizing is extremely dark/shady.
The leaves are rather pale and some of them are curling (see pictures).

I'm thinking they need more light (but not full sun, they are just a year old as explained above). Does that sound right
?
they haven't grown hardly at all in the last 6 weeks. Also, thought it was odd that they emerged from buds on the side, not the tip...

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2015, 05:14:24 PM »
Has the soil dried out a little?
Life is good

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »
Has the soil dried out a little?

No, soil seems adequately hydrated:s

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »
In heated green houses with grow lights, 3-gallon containers and lots of fertilizer and water, Pawpaws don't go dormant and can be over 5-feet tall in one year.
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2015, 09:30:53 PM »
In heated green houses with grow lights, 3-gallon containers and lots of fertilizer and water, Pawpaws don't go dormant and can be over 5-feet tall in one year.

thanks for the inspirational quote...

i've got a few seedlings from a tree that's supposedly very nice for eating...Bob407 gave it to me after his pawpaw hunting expedition in the TN area.

i'm going to keep them in the GH to give them a jump start.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2015, 12:27:37 AM »
Wow, haven't been over here in temperate section for a while Nice information Ed, I grow a few varieties of a.triloba wells,sweet alice , sunflower and small Peterson variety. I've never seen ripe fruit of other asimina cultivars a. parviflora, a.pygmaea are the fruit of these cultivars as big as triloba? Great thread ;) 8)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »
Just to say hello to my "new" friends...
I thought all my small pawpaws (seeds from USA) died this summer/autumn, but now they started to sprout into the greenhouse, and I took them out because it's getting very hot there! From 20 seeds, now I have just 3 living trees... they are similar to jaboticabas, very weak at the start, dont like sun and dry climate...
Today I sow many seeds from Czechoslovakia and USA, I hope they will sprout in the next months... they were into the fridge (and maybe they are not viable, as they lack humidity into the ziploc bag...)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
I thought all my small pawpaws (seeds from USA) died this summer/autumn, but now they started to sprout into the greenhouse, and I took them out because it's getting very hot there! From 20 seeds, now I have just 3 living trees... they are similar to jaboticabas, very weak at the start, dont like sun and dry climate...
Today I sow many seeds from Czechoslovakia and USA, I hope they will sprout in the next months... they were into the fridge (and maybe they are not viable, as they lack humidity into the ziploc bag...)

congrats on growing this species, I really hope you are the first in your area to get them to fruit.

seedlings like shade until they are about 5-6ft tall

definitely can be killed by overheating as well.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »

Awesome! are these from the seeds I sent you a long while ago?

I am planning to move my seedlings to full sun once they're about 18 inches tall.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2015, 10:35:41 PM »

Awesome! are these from the seeds I sent you a long while ago?

I am planning to move my seedlings to full sun once they're about 18 inches tall.

yes! I am happy to read you :-D

Some of them are in the greenhouse of the foodforest, I will ask my friend for them, I hope they are alive

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »
Update on some of the grafted paw paws I planted

The Collins paw paw has flower buds holding on, but they seem to defoliate during fall, after the heat of summer.

The Gainesville paw paw held all its leaves.

Praying that I get some fruit eventually...but I'm happy to have them as ornamentals if they don't produce
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »
Well, stratification of my 35 wild-collected pawpaw seeds finished this weekend. I've soaked them in water at ~75 F for 24 hours and now I've put them in a container on a heat mat set to keep them at 75 F.

My understanding is that the seeds take a long time to germinate. My concern is that such a long period of time could allow mold to set in. Therefore, I've opted to use sphagnum moss as a germinating medium because of its antimicrobial properties. Once the seeds sprout, I will transfer them to tall containers filled with potting soil. Anyone know of any reason using sphagnum to germinate the seeds could be a bad idea?

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »
I was looking to add 1-2 Paw Paws to my budding collection of fruit trees and was dead sure on getting Peterson Varieties.  However I keep seeing a "newer" variety listed some places online that was released by KSU called "Atwood".  There doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of reviews and searches on here returned zilch.  Was just wondering if anyone would have some insight on this particular cultivar and would it be worth getting instead of a Peterson tree, or Pairing with a Peterson tree.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2016, 10:13:05 AM »
I was looking to add 1-2 Paw Paws to my budding collection of fruit trees and was dead sure on getting Peterson Varieties.  However I keep seeing a "newer" variety listed some places online that was released by KSU called "Atwood".  There doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of reviews and searches on here returned zilch.  Was just wondering if anyone would have some insight on this particular cultivar and would it be worth getting instead of a Peterson tree, or Pairing with a Peterson tree.

I probably ate one 2 years ago at KSU but I don't remember anything about it LOL

yeah I've not heard anyone here mention they're growing it. I'm sure it's decent but in my mind the Petersons are still regarded as primo. (Just basing that on prevailing perception, not personal experience)

PS. KSU is on the cusp of introducing a new variety apparently

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »

yeah I've not heard anyone here mention they're growing it. I'm sure it's decent but in my mind the Petersons are still regarded as primo. (Just basing that on prevailing perception, not personal experience)

Any linked info on this soon to be new KSU variety? or just word of mouth?

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »

Any linked info on this soon to be new KSU variety? or just word of mouth?

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/Fourth%20International%20Pawpaw%20Conference.htm    :D

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2016, 10:32:09 AM »
Unfortunately, the seeds I so diligently stratified have not germinated at all after a generous six weeks. I've got another batch coming out of stratification in a few days, but because they froze during shipping/sitting in the mailbox one night, I don't have high hopes for them either.As such, I've just about given up on the stratification project.

I broke down a few days ago and bought some bare-root whips online for a very reasonable price. Lets hope I have better luck with these. I'll also be keeping an eye out for flowers on local specimens around early April to see if I can pollinate a few more fruits this year with the hopes of harvesting seeds to distribute to prospective growers overseas.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
Unfortunately, the seeds I so diligently stratified have not germinated at all after a generous six weeks. I've got another batch coming out of stratification in a few days, but because they froze during shipping/sitting in the mailbox one night, I don't have high hopes for them either.As such, I've just about given up on the stratification project.

I broke down a few days ago and bought some bare-root whips online for a very reasonable price. Lets hope I have better luck with these. I'll also be keeping an eye out for flowers on local specimens around early April to see if I can pollinate a few more fruits this year with the hopes of harvesting seeds to distribute to prospective growers overseas.

I wouldn't give up yet - it can take 2-3 months for shoot to appear, as the plant spends a ton of time dropping a tap root. Especially if your pot is deep.

Ohhh but you didn't sow in deep pots, did you? Hmmm I think some have tried germinating in flats first but my understanding (and what I've done with 100% success rate) is the best method is to plant singly in a deep and narrow pot, such as a "tree pot" or homemade version thereof (PVC, soda bottles, socks)

P. S. For all the asiminaholics out there - there's a relatively new book out by Andrew Moore called Pawpaw. I just got my library to buy it and just started it. Looks to be a great read.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
I could probably send u a few seeds too if you want to try in deep pots. I have several cozily stratifying and ready to plant.  PM if u want.

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2016, 09:17:31 PM »
I really appreciate the offer, Triloba. Between the whips I just planted over the weekend, the seeds I just started, and the old ones, I should have my hands full this growing season.

I'll have to check out Moore's book, btw.

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
Once again, I've put too little faith in these seeds.

I checked my first batch of pawpaw seeds that came out of stratification back in January this morning. To my extreme surprise and satisfaction, I found a little white taproot showing through the container! I immediately dug the little guy out of the sphagnum and gave him a new home in a nice, deep container full of mycorhizae-inoculated potting mix. I can't believe how long these guys take just to germinate; it's been nearly 50 days since these guys finished stratifying and right after I ordered and planted year-old whips, of course.

Anyway, I'm chalking this experiment as a success. With any luck he'll be ready to plant around late May. In the meantime, I'll be watching carefully for germination from the pecans or other ~50 pawpaws. Here's hoping this seed is the first of many to sprout.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
Today i saw that my two pawpaw trees have flower buds for the first time! I'm very excited and i will hand pollinate them. They are of Sunflower variety... will try to post pics later.  ;D

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Today i saw that my two pawpaw trees have flower buds for the first time! I'm very excited and i will hand pollinate them. They are of Sunflower variety... will try to post pics later.  ;D

Awesome! How old are the trees?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »

Awesome! How old are the trees?
I buy them 3 or 4 years ago but they were small.  :) I'm soo happy! I will buy more varieties grafted trees... very excited!  ;D