Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620693 times)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1100 on: March 27, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
Hello! My name is Chandramohan. I am a retired Mech. Enggr with a Masters in Agrl. Engg. For the last 12 years I have been farming. I live in my farm in the district of Wynad in the state of Kerala in India. I grow Coffee, Pepper, Cardamomum, Coconut, Arecanut, a few Avocado,Jackfruit, Gamboge, etc. My hobby is collecting tropical fruit trees, so much so that I have, Mangosteen, Lemon mangosteen, Seashore mangosteen, False mangosteen, Madruno, Kokam, Rambutan, Pulasan, Durian, Santol, Longan, Langsat, Mamey sapote, Sapodilla, Malay apple, Rose apple, Canistel, Bread fruit, Mango, Embilica, Lovi lovi, Sweet Lovilovi, Soursop, Custardapple, Sugarapple, etc. I am a widower and my only daughter lives in Houston, USA. I am at present in the US and I am trying to collect as many seeds as possible!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #1101 on: March 27, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
Hello! My name is Chandramohan. I am a retired Mech. Enggr with a Masters in Agrl. Engg. For the last 12 years I have been farming. I live in my farm in the district of Wynad in the state of Kerala in India. I grow Coffee, Pepper, Cardamomum, Coconut, Arecanut, a few Avocado,Jackfruit, Gamboge, etc. My hobby is collecting tropical fruit trees, so much so that I have, Mangosteen, Lemon mangosteen, Seashore mangosteen, False mangosteen, Madruno, Kokam, Rambutan, Pulasan, Durian, Santol, Longan, Langsat, Mamey sapote, Sapodilla, Malay apple, Rose apple, Canistel, Bread fruit, Mango, Embilica, Lovi lovi, Sweet Lovilovi, Soursop, Custardapple, Sugarapple, etc. I am a widower and my only daughter lives in Houston, USA. I am at present in the US and I am trying to collect as many seeds as possible!!!

Nice collection already! BTW i sent you a package on March 24.
Oscar

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 28, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »
Welcome Chandramohan :)
You have a nice collection of trees. I am jealous ;)
Mike

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 30, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »

Nice collection already! BTW i sent you a package on March 24.
  Thanks, Oscar. I got the package already. Please help me to get as many new seeds as possible. Chandramohan

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »
Welcome Chandramohan :)
You have a nice collection of trees. I am jealous ;)
Thanks Mike, Dont be, I am only an old struggling farmer!! Chandramohan.

Daniel

• Palm beach county
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 01, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I have seen it spelled both ways and Google tends to favor the o where Whitman favored the a. I stumbled across his book in the morikami Japanese garden library however you can't check it out so I finally went and purchased the book on Amazon. Fantastic book.  I have only tasted one from Whitman's tree when I was in elementary school. My father took a class at broward community college with Bruce Livingston and they visited  Whitman's yard for a field trip. However I was not invited but my dad kept one charichuela and two extra large jaboticabas for me to try.  So now it's about 17 years later and I'm very happy to find so much information on the fruit.  I was beginning to lose hope that I would ever taste another charichuela but now it seems that there are a few other garcinia that are even more sought after.  I may have some pictures of the tree that my father took for the class.  Seems like there is some debate about whether the tree was g. Madruno or g. Acuminata by today's binomial nomenclature. 17 years ago it was rheedia spp.

Daniel

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #1106 on: April 01, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I have seen it spelled both ways and Google tends to favor the o where Whitman favored the a. I stumbled across his book in the morikami Japanese garden library however you can't check it out so I finally went and purchased the book on Amazon. Fantastic book.  I have only tasted one from Whitman's tree when I was in elementary school. My father took a class at broward community college with Bruce Livingston and they visited  Whitman's yard for a field trip. However I was not invited but my dad kept one charichuela and two extra large jaboticabas for me to try.  So now it's about 17 years later and I'm very happy to find so much information on the fruit.  I was beginning to lose hope that I would ever taste another charichuela but now it seems that there are a few other garcinia that are even more sought after.  I may have some pictures of the tree that my father took for the class.  Seems like there is some debate about whether the tree was g. Madruno or g. Acuminata by today's binomial nomenclature. 17 years ago it was rheedia spp.

Daniel

Hi Daniel.  What is your father's first name?  I took those classes with Bruce Livingston also. Is he active on the forum?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Daniel

• Palm beach county
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 01, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »
Thank you for the links! I have been looking into these threads over the last couple months as well as researching independently.  It seems that the garcinia/rheedia game is deeper than I had thought.  When we first talked it was very confusing but I think I'm wrapping my head around this all.  It seems that I thought garcinia brasiliensis was rheedia aristata. Additionally I was told that the chance of getting a bumpy lemon version of charichuela was 1/4 and rheedia aristata was 3/4. However this seems to be a random statement and the issue is really that garcinia hybridize with other species readily thus making seedlings incredibly variable.  It seems that studying leaf structure of the specimen is the best indicator for me to this point.  Anyways I collected seeds about one year ago from what I thought was a rheedia aristata and all 7 of the seedlings have different leaf structures.  Different colors, and anywhere from 2-6 leaves.  Extremely slow growing and variable.  I hope that as I gain more data I can share with everyone but it definitely appears that these trees like mottled light and shade.  Also I water the leaves and the roots.  The g. Dulcis and the kambuka I got are absolutely loving their new home. Thanks for your help and shout out to Excalibur for having some really great trees.

Daniel

• Palm beach county
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 01, 2015, 05:26:25 PM »

Daniel

Hi Daniel.  What is your father's first name?  I took those classes with Bruce Livingston also. Is he active on the forum?

Barnabas(Barney) Demosthenes. He is not active on the forum but I went on the field trip to Gemm orchids and Excalibur if you remember a small child who could identity fruit trees it was me! and we have a lot of the trees we got from that period. For example we have a jabo from Whitmans yard that has not fruited and its 15 plus years since the seed was collected. 

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 02, 2015, 04:11:03 AM »
Hello, this is Lorenzo. I'm italian, 43 years old, i'm a doctor chemist but i've always been gardening enthusiast since childhood.
My grandparents were both farmers and transmitted me the passion and love for plants, flowers fruits and vegetables. I've been successfully growing several kinds of fruits in Italy and I never stopped with my passion even when i decided to move to the Philippines 2 years ago.
Now I'm living on Cebu island, just 10 degrees north  from the equator the climate is obviously hot here but also unexpectedly dry.
I've a quite big garden more than 1200 sqm but the soil here is completely rocky and was levelled adding a kind of local calcareous gravel called guizo.
Since I arrived here i started to dig holes, add soil and  plant fruit trees mainly growing them straight from seeds.
Now I've more than 15 different kinds of fruits most of them local but  some brought from Italy so not really tropical  :)
I'm struggling every day to grow them healthy and strong i hope that when i will be in my 50's i will enjoy the fruit of my labour  ;)
Thanks for the useful forum and i wish everybody have a wonderful harvest!  :) Hello, this is Lorenzo. I'm italian, 43 years old, i'm a doctor chemist but i've always been gardening enthusiast since childhood.
My grandparents were both farmers and transmitted me the passion and love for plants, flowers fruits and vegetables. I've been successfully growing several kinds of fruits in Italy and I never stopped with my passion even when i decided to move to the Philippines 2 years ago.
Now I'm living on Cebu island, just 10 degrees north  from the equator the climate is obviously hot here but also unexpectedly dry.
I've a quite big garden more than 1200 sqm but the soil here is completely rocky and was levelled adding a kind of local calcareous gravel called guizo.
Since I arrived here i started to dig holes, add soil and  plant fruit trees mainly growing them straight from seeds.
Now I've more than 15 different kinds of fruits most of them local but  some brought from Italy so not really tropical  :)
I'm struggling every day to grow them healthy and strong i hope that when i will be in my 50's i will enjoy the fruit of my labour  ;)
Thanks for the useful forum and i wish everybody have a wonderful harvest!  :)
Lorenzo

GardenIslandGrower

• Kauai HI Zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: April 03, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
 Aloha Lorenzo, I'm new here too  :) The best cactus pears I've ever had were the ones I ate in Italia! My name is Joe and I live on Kauai. I'm on the east side of the island, not too sure what the zone is... My trees so far:
Sugar apple-seedling, 4 yrs. old, bearing.
Soursop- airlayered and marked as Cuban Fiberless but definitely standard soursop. Heavy bearing though. 2 yrs. old
Jackfruit- "Black Gold", bearing @ 2 yrs. old
Canistel- marked as Bruce but it's a seedling, not bearing, maybe 2 yrs. old
Indonesian White Guava- 2yrs. old and bearing
Avocado- "Green Gold" 1 yr. old. Tried to bear but I said no.
Mangosteen- 1 yr. old seedling
Opuntia ficus indica- 2 yrs. old, not yet bearing
Jaboticaba- 2-3 yrs. old
Mango- "Maha Chanok", 1 yr. old
Dwarf Coconut- 2 yrs. old
Rollinia- 2 yrs. old

That's all I have right now, but my next mission is Durian. I have about 20 seedlings that are 2 months old I'll try to graft. Only know of one bearing tree on island so might have to hit up Fruit Lover's for scions...

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 03, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »
Aloha Joe!
Conratulations for your fruit "collections", absolutely remarkable!
In your place you're blessed by a mild climate unlike here and this is surely something your plants will benefit from  :)
I tried durian but although the textures and taste are great  i don't like it because i'm very sensitive to any kind of smell maybe because of my long nose  ;D
We have no durian trees here in Cebu island but my wife told me that it's plenty in her native place on mindanao island.
Lorenzo

kylem4711

• USA, CA, Whittier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 04, 2015, 01:37:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Moved into a house not too long ago and it took me forever to clear the area where I wanted to plant my trees. I'm new at this so i'm sure spacing, my soil mix, and anything else i tinkered with is not correct. thats ok though. I'm looking forward to learning.

Here is a list of trees/plants that I have either planted already, or will plant as soon as I can carve out some more time:
Passion Fruit
Cherimoya
Purple Star Fruit
Jack Fruit
Blackberry Jam
Gooseberry
Lolita Surinam
Star Apple
Miracle Fruit
Star Fruit
Sugar Cane
Crown 1 Jaboticaba
Yellow Jaboticaba
Reb Hybrid Jaboticaba
2 Mycuarua Jaboticaba
Black Sapote
Citrus Caviar
Carrie Mango
Mulberry
Barbe Pink Guage
Coffee

I'm located in california and really really want a dekopon/shiranui, but cannot find one. If anyone can help me out. that would be amazing

Glad to meet everyone!

Just a few of my trees.

GardenIslandGrower

• Kauai HI Zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 04, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »
 Nice collection ^^^  Durian's not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure. Cebu looks amazing!

Sugartopfarms

• Clermont, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 08, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Jordan. I am 27 years old and live and just moved to Clermont, FL from Ft Lauderdale, FL. I really enjoy up here, but there are some difference, as far as, growing your own food. I am currently growing: 4 types of avocados, Barbados cherries (a favorite from south florida and I finally found a place up here that carries them for a good price), figs, mulberry, peach, plum, nectarines, apples, banana, rasberry, kiwi, moringa, jaboticaba and loquat. I moved to one of the highest points of the state, so things are definitely new in terms of growing concerns/conditions.

I am starting an organic micro farm/market garden this coming fall (2015). I am really excited to grow fruits, vegetables and herbs for the local community. I am planning to grow into a CSA and hopeful reach out to local restaurants and farmers markets down the road.

Look forward to learning from you guys.

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 10, 2015, 02:13:53 AM »
Welcome Jordan, to our wonderful forum!
Congratulations and best wishes for your endeavors.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 10, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Jordan. I am 27 years old and live and just moved to Clermont, FL from Ft Lauderdale, FL. I really enjoy up here, but there are some difference, as far as, growing your own food. I am currently growing: 4 types of avocados, Barbados cherries (a favorite from south florida and I finally found a place up here that carries them for a good price), figs, mulberry, peach, plum, nectarines, apples, banana, rasberry, kiwi, moringa, jaboticaba and loquat. I moved to one of the highest points of the state, so things are definitely new in terms of growing concerns/conditions.

I am starting an organic micro farm/market garden this coming fall (2015). I am really excited to grow fruits, vegetables and herbs for the local community. I am planning to grow into a CSA and hopeful reach out to local restaurants and farmers markets down the road.

Will you be shipping any of that fruit, or veggies to members of the "extended community" or just for your locall area? 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Sugartopfarms

• Clermont, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 13, 2015, 10:29:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

Will you be shipping any of that fruit, or veggies to members of the "extended community" or just for your locall area?

I will most likely only sell locally, at least at first. Maybe things will change down the road

lyubomir16

• Bulgaria
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Top List
« Reply #1118 on: April 14, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »
Hi I am Lyubomir, I just like eating fruits and also I am learning how to cultivate fruits, but I am still learning. That is why I am here.
Feel free to check out my personal website about Fruits www.fruittoplist.com

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 18, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
Hi everybody,

I am Yohann Aka Reafs,

I'm living on the beautiful Island of Guadeloupe in the Caribbean Sea.

I do love tropical fruits, We have thousands of species here, but nothing to compare to the whole wide world. This is why I appreciate this forum a lot.

I've already got around 50 species of tropical fruits in big pots waiting to be planting in soil one day (when I will my my own land) and I am adding more and more of other tropical fruits coming from around via this forum.

Fos (local greeting).
Yohann

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 19, 2015, 08:42:27 AM »
welcome, Reafs!

Do you have anything that has produced fruit yet?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 19, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a home in south Austin in the 8B zone.

Really interested in growing some funky tropical fruit in the backyard for juicing, smoothies and cocktails ( going to make the back yard a tiki paradise  8)).  I was really hoping I could grow some dragon fruit here but it seems it still gets a bit too cold here at times in the winter  :-[

Anyone know how well the pink fleshed guavas do here? I see quite a bit of conflicting info.  I know that pineapple guava's do well and plan to plant one or two but want to get some different varieties going.  Will be back with more questions and hopefully some results and pictures by this time next year!

officefruit

• Office Fruit provides fruit for the office
  • Office Fruit rules
    • UK, London
    • View Profile
    • Office Fruit
« Reply #1122 on: April 20, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »
Very True

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 23, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
welcome, Reafs!

Sure Jeff, I'm now having by Syzygium samarangense fruiting, as well as my mango Julie.
Yohann

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 23, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
welcome, Reafs!

Sure Jeff, I'm now having by Syzygium samarangense fruiting, as well as my mango Julie.
Nice!  Welcome to our world of fruit nuts!
~Jeff