Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 624868 times)

fruits4life

• United state , California
    • View Profile
hi
« Reply #1125 on: April 24, 2015, 07:44:43 AM »
Hi I'm new to the forums.

Rodgunner

• USA, Florida,33029,10bDR
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1126 on: April 27, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »
Hello everyone. I live in Miramar SW Florida; I have great interest in the same as you all. I learned to do grafts and successfully propagated Casimiro edulis, manilkara sapota var.Alano and mangos. My Pouteria Viridis finally produced after 8+ years and 3 out of 4 coconut trees are  now in production.The lychee is fruiting  but production is poor. the canistel was very fruitful this time and is bearing again.Other ones include atemoya, wax jambu, sugar apple, turkey brown fig and mombin(spondias dulcis) now fruiting nicely.You will see one of the bandits that used to raid my zapodillas, mangos  and canistels In jail.

sragentina

• indonesian love fruit
    • Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: May 01, 2015, 11:45:32 PM »
greetings , I am from Indonesia , my name is Arif .
I am a private worker my age 26 years . my parents is a teacher at the junior high school .
In my area there are many tropical fruits are often found, for example :
rambutan ,
durian ,
tropical apple ,
Kepel ,
Sawo ,
pineapple ,
bananas ,
mango ,
mangosteen ,
and others .......
to the picture you can see in google ,
if you all want to contact me either through
YM : cah_oszlo@yahoo.co.id
gmail : cahoszlo@gmail.com
BBM : 550e951b
whatsapp : 085647545197
facebook : Luthfa Satoejiwa

Thank you very much!
Regards

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 10, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »
I must admit I have a problem, until a few months ago I was just another busy guy who was too wrapped up in things to spend time doing what is just so enjoyable--working in my yard to make it better. With having improved my yard this spring, I then ran into the wrong crowd---the tropical fruit loonies. Now yes, I admit I am in deep and wow it is great! I look forward to reading and hearing more about my new found passion.

triwahyuni

• indonesia
    • View Profile
introducing myself
« Reply #1129 on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:32 AM »
hi all, I am a new member on this forum, thanks for giving me the opportunity to join. I tri wahyuni from Indonesia. I'm 35 years old doing business medical device but i'm interesting this forum cos my background is biology. at my country tropical fruits is so many, hopefully you all can come to my country and experience the sensation of eating tropical fruit. if you want to know more you can contact me at triwahyuni1712@gmail.com

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: introducing myself
« Reply #1130 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:46 AM »
Welcome to the group!  You live in a beautiful country.  What island are you located on?

John
Hilo, Hi USA

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 13, 2015, 08:34:33 PM »
Hi all, I'm Caesar from Puerto Rico, and I'm a Bio student on my way to becoming a farmer. I've been an armchair biologist all my life, got started on tropical fruits (and other edibles) about four years ago, and it's been downhill ever since. I'm a complete newb with precious little practical experience on hand, but I hope to change that over the coming years. I hope to be able to work with rare species to bring them out of obscurity and into the commercial sector (at least in the States and PR, as I'm sure many "rare" species are well commercialized in their homelands).

My backyard is very small, but that hasn't stopped me from amassing an ever-increasing collection of exotic edibles (which will surely be cramped for space when they reach maturity). Apart from the locally common stuff, I've tasted very few exotics, but I'm eager to taste more, and it seems the only way to do that is to grow 'em myself. My collection currently consists of Durian, Achachairu, Sweet Madroño, Luc's Garcinia, Garcinia intermedia, Abiu, Rambutan, Cashew, Anonna reticulata, Açaí Berry, several Eugenias (uniflora, involucrata, brasiliensis, selloi, candolleana), several Myrciarias (vexator, glazioviana, coronata, aureana, Red Hybrid), Kwai Muk, Marang, Pedalai, Mocambo, Cupuaçú, Langsat, Bunya Nuts, and a few other species. Most are seedlings, and the bigger ones still aren't of bearing age.

I'm also interested in experimenting with exotics, especially breeding and grafting, and I've already got a few projects in mind. So... that's pretty much it. Long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure how often you guys will see me around here, but I'm looking forward to being a part of the community. Cheers!

FruitCat

• 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 15, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased our first home and got right to work planting tropical fruit varieties.  Right now we have planted: Avocado (Choquette, Kampong); Banana (Dwarf Red, FHIA1, Mysore, Namwa); Barbados Cherry; Jaboticaba (Sabara); Lychee (Sweetheart); and Mango (Angie, Carrie, Florigon, Nam Dok Mai).  Everything was purchased in 3 gallon containers from Pine Island Nursery, Bender's Grove, and Going Bananas.  We have limited space left, but I really want to get in the ground Raja Puri, PPK or Lemon Zest, and possibly something other than avocado, banana, or mango.  I grew up in the Midwest and am learning about tropical fruit more and more each day--thanks in large part to this forum!  I've added pictures of everything except for the Mysore, Namwa, and Sweetheart.  Those were planted after the original pictures were taken.  Hope the pictures post right side up.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:31:10 AM by FruitCat »

Jbird12345

• Broward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 15, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
Whats up everyone?

J-Bird here,  born and raised in fort lauderdale FL,  always have been into growing things since i was a kid.
I am 32 yo old and just bought my house almost a year ago and have just got started planted my fruit trees, i started off with 10 citrus trees on dwarf rootstock, (hamlin, valencia, honeybell, the good old fashion duncan grapefruit, satsuma, ureka lemon, ponderosa lemon, washington navel, ponkan,

Also drop in a pomagranite bush, a sweetheart lychee tree, 6 diff banana plants, a keywest guenep( aka spanish lime)

Just put in a carrie, nam doc mai, malika, cogshell,
Put those in with have never tasting any of those mangos these mangos before that i know.
Maybe ill change them for diff varieties later if i dont like them.
Everything i plan on pruning very much to keep compact and tight.

I find myself inspecting my citrus daily for pests and potential problems and love being outside just being at one with my trees, nothing has fruited yet except the lychee.

Ive got room for 3 more mango trees but gonna wait till i taste some varieties before i iump the gun.

Anyways thats about it......

chely1217

• Tampa, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 17, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Since this is a new forum I think we should have an introductory post for old and new members alike.

Hello everyone, my name is Michelle... I just got two mango trees, three months ago and I'm having a little trouble with them... I join the site to learn a little more about trees and other plants... and hoping to find some answers.  ::)

meristos

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 21, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Romain and i come from Martinique in the carribean. I'm a banana grower.

Since a month I've already found a lot of very useful information about the tropical fruit on this forum so i've decided to introduce myself.

I've bought a house already planted with

Mangifera indica "Julie" and "Bassignac"
Syzigium mallacense
Acerola
Annona muricata

and i'm growing

Eriobotrya japonica
Solanum quitoense
Pouteria campechiana
Jaboticaba & Jaboticaba X
Plinia edulis
Eugenia pyriformis
Eugenia neonitida
Marang
Durian
Garcinia mangoustana
Avocado "Lula"
White Sapote
Eugenia uniflora
Dovyalis hebecarpa
Guava and Cherry Guava
Duku
Tangelo orlando
and still waiting for other seeds  :D

Thank you

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 23, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »
Hi there,

I'm Kader,

Brand new member here from Paris, France. I've been reading the forum for a while as a guest though. I'm just amazed at the amount of info available here.

I'm into avocados, mangoes, japanese persimmons, figs, olive trees, peaches, citruses and getting to know about pawpaws.... and hopefully many more.

microage97

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 27, 2015, 01:24:57 PM »
Aloha All,

I am living on the east side of the Big Island, Hawaii and I have been growing for about a year. I have so much to learn! We have a 3 acre lot that I have about 1/2 hand cleared and I am in the process of planing it out. I have the kind of gone crazy with planting stuff.

Abiu
Avocado
Cocoa
Bananas
Brazilian Cherry
Bread Fruit
Curry Leaf
Guava
Ice Cream Bean
Jabiticobia
Lemon
Kaifer Lime
Lime
Thai Finger Lime
Longan
Lychee
Malabar Chestnut
Mountain Apple
Blood Orange
Passion Fruit
Rollinia
Tangerine
Soursup
Star Apple
Surinam Cherry

Dave
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:38:00 PM by microage97 »

Grandmotherbear

• South Central and Southeast FL zones 10/11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 30, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
Grandfatherbear is a FL native, and I grew up in Northern VA/WASH DC. We met at Stetson University, DeLand, FL in 1970. My father was a career agricultural economist with USDA and every vacation was a busman's holiday. I have been a long term gardener- GFB loves all his plants and knows the location of every leaf and bud and developing fruit. I studied gardening like a second career after experiencing some massive fails. Now that I'm retired, I vowed to treat gardening like a 40 hr a week job. My more recent goals have been to get more into perennials and tropical vegetables. Learnt the hard way that growing a summer vegetable garden just means a huge pest load for the autumn gardens so have scaled back the summer plantings. Im getting more interested in tropical nuts with this whole drought in CA thing and the tripling of nut prices on the wholesale level. Our plantings include a huge apple orchard of various heirloom apples (www.kuffelcreek.com hot climate apple production) low chill peaches and apricots, mulberries, jaboticabas, dovyalis, carambola, curry, terminalia (okari), Malabar chestnut (pachira) water chestnuts, arrowhead, lotus, ornamental rice, canna, loofa squash, asparagus, Chaya, chayote, katuk, sweet potatoes, black peanut, pigeon peas. In winter I do the usual ordinary vegetables.

microage97

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 01, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »
Welcome to the party Grandmotherbear

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 02, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »
Hello everyone. I just recently got the bite to grow fruit trees after having them in my parents yard for years! Now i just bought a home and have a small piece of land to plant stuff. I currently have a Mulberry tree, Guava, Katuk, Native passion vine, and about 25 Papaya trees all under 5 ft tall.

I love plants and animals and have kept my fair share of....venomous snakes, fish, tarantulas, scorpions, monitor lizards....even roaches! as pets.

This is a really great forum and I have learned so much already!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 03, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »
Hello everyone. I just recently got the bite to grow fruit trees after having them in my parents yard for years! Now i just bought a home and have a small piece of land to plant stuff. I currently have a Mulberry tree, Guava, Katuk, Native passion vine, and about 25 Papaya trees all under 5 ft tall.

I love plants and animals and have kept my fair share of....venomous snakes, fish, tarantulas, scorpions, monitor lizards....even roaches! as pets.

This is a really great forum and I have learned so much already!

Was going to say welcome to the forum, and we are probably close to each other, but after hearing about your efforts to breed a venomous cockroach the size of a monitor....I think I'll take a pass.

Sorry, just having a little fun.  I need to amuse myself at times.   Welcome, and good luck with your fruit trees.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
Venomous roaches..... oh the possibilities ;D ;D lol

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 03, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
Haha all in good fun Gunnar429....I actually work for the HD right there off of 441 and Pembroke rd. I talk to Bal our garden guru about plants all day.

And From the sea...I have gone on trips down to the keys just to find rare roaches native and found only in the FL Keys! you guys have Giant cave roaches blattodea gianticus right there off of blimp rd! That and some really strangely marked coral snakes.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 03, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
Aloha All,

I am living on the east side of the Big Island, Hawaii and I have been growing for about a year. I have so much to learn! We have a 3 acre lot that I have about 1/2 hand cleared and I am in the process of planing it out. I have the kind of gone crazy with planting stuff.

Abiu
Avocado
Cocoa
Bananas
Brazilian Cherry
Bread Fruit
Curry Leaf
Guava
Ice Cream Bean
Jabiticobia
Lemon
Kaifer Lime
Lime
Thai Finger Lime
Longan
Lychee
Malabar Chestnut
Mountain Apple
Blood Orange
Passion Fruit
Rollinia
Tangerine
Soursup
Star Apple
Surinam Cherry

Dave

I can't help but notice, your plant kingdom is incomplete without king and queen of fruits! Also get a bunch of others I would consider premier quality fruits. Marang, pulasan, cambuca, top quality quality garcinias like achacha and mexican...Try www.frankiesnursery.com for grafted stuff.

raebanyantree

• Kailua Kona
    • View Profile
    • Banyan Tree Sanctuary
« Reply #1145 on: June 03, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
My name is Rae, I am the business manager of a vacation rental retreat center in Kailua Kona, HI called Banyan Tree Sanctuary. I am a vegan, and eat mostly raw fruits and veggies. We have 3.3 acres of land at 1100' elevation on the west side of the island, and get about 30" of rain a year. We currently have 38 different types of fruit, and I'm always interested in adding more.  www.banyantreesanctuary.com
Mahalo!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 04, 2015, 04:39:39 AM »
My name is Rae, I am the business manager of a vacation rental retreat center in Kailua Kona, HI called Banyan Tree Sanctuary. I am a vegan, and eat mostly raw fruits and veggies. We have 3.3 acres of land at 1100' elevation on the west side of the island, and get about 30" of rain a year. We currently have 38 different types of fruit, and I'm always interested in adding more.  www.banyantreesanctuary.com
Mahalo!
Congratulations! Great place you have! ;D

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 04, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »
Haha all in good fun Gunnar429....I actually work for the HD right there off of 441 and Pembroke rd. I talk to Bal our garden guru about plants all day.

And From the sea...I have gone on trips down to the keys just to find rare roaches native and found only in the FL Keys! you guys have Giant cave roaches blattodea gianticus right there off of blimp rd! That and some really strangely marked coral snakes.

nice...I go there often.  Might even recognize you.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

microage97

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 04, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »
I can't help but notice, your plant kingdom is incomplete without king and queen of fruits! Also get a bunch of others I would consider premier quality fruits. Marang, pulasan, cambuca, top quality quality garcinias like achacha and mexican...Try www.frankiesnursery.com for grafted stuff.

Thanks!

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 04, 2015, 06:07:20 PM »
Hi, I'm Brian and I live around the SF Bay Area in California.  I grow a few different kinds of fruit.  Been reading the forum on and off over the last couple years.  Try to grow a little of everything where possible.