Author Topic: Graham didn't make any mangoes?  (Read 2121 times)

Saltee

• Coral Springs Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Graham didn't make any mangoes?
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:35:21 PM »
When I bought the tree last year in spring as a 15 gal it didn't make any flowers, it just grew. This year it made a few winter panicles that made pea sized fruit and aborted all but that was no surprise. Then it made a few more and the 2 fruit made it to a tennis ball size and dropped as well. Is this normal for this tree? NDM is younger but managed to take fruit to maturity. I really wanted atleast a few this year  :P

Pic is from march. It's grown more

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Graham didn't make any mangoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »
I find it's normal for all trees. They'll hold fruit when they're able.
Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 11:41:58 PM »
Yup, normal.  Graham is also a "on" and "off" mango variety.   It can be very good some years (for a Graham and tbose who like the Graham flavor) and it can have very average years taste wise  (unfortunately it tends to have more average quality yeats than it does exceptional years).
- Rob

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 11:58:31 PM »
Man I should have done my research lol. I have tasted graham from a fellow who sells mangoes off boyton beach and it was awesome. Strong taste with a coconut-ish tropical hint near the peel. I guess he was having a good year. His alampur baneshan was great too. Guess I'm just a fan of spicy mango

I don't regret it tho. As long as I get that goodness every couple of years I can live with it, plus I got others to make up for it.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:19:46 AM by Saltee »

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
My Graham also dropped its fruits for a couple years as they started to mature. Last year I got about 25 and they were all very, very good. Nice strong flavor that I know some don't like. Very unique. I'm looking forward to tasting them again with sweet anticipation!

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
I'm also hoping that the fruit will get better as the tree matures. Haven't had enough experience to know how consistently flavored it is. But, my mouth is watering as I think about them ;D
E.

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
Do you taste a coconut flavor near the peel or was that just in my head? i wish my tree held a few that woulda been great. I'd rather lose my NDM's than the Grahams  ;)

My Graham also dropped its fruits for a couple years as they started to mature. Last year I got about 25 and they were all very, very good. Nice strong flavor that I know some don't like. Very unique. I'm looking forward to tasting them again with sweet anticipation!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »
Do you taste a coconut flavor near the peel or was that just in my head? i wish my tree held a few that woulda been great. I'd rather lose my NDM's than the Grahams  ;)

I have not detected any coconut  but more of a Caribbean Julie like flavor.
- Rob

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
I did not detect any coconut flavor in my Graham mangoes. The ones I notice coconut flavor in are Pickering and Choc Anon. Pickering being the better flavor and texture of the two. I have never eaten a Julie, but the Graham has a great tangy, spicy flavor with smooth flesh. Definitely not your typical mango flavor. So, you think that last year was an "On" year for Graham? i hope they are always that flavorful, but I bet the rain will wash them out a little. Hope it slows down soon ;D

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
I did not detect any coconut flavor in my Graham mangoes. The ones I notice coconut flavor in are Pickering and Choc Anon. Pickering being the better flavor and texture of the two. I have never eaten a Julie, but the Graham has a great tangy, spicy flavor with smooth flesh. Definitely not your typical mango flavor. So, you think that last year was an "On" year for Graham? i hope they are always that flavorful, but I bet the rain will wash them out a little. Hope it slows down soon ;D

I'm probably describing it wrong but there was definitely some kind of pronounced flavor that got really intense scraping the peel. I found it very pleasant to my tastebuds