Author Topic: First mango fruit of 2017  (Read 29894 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Re: First mango fruit of 2017
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2017, 07:06:38 PM »
Yay... first mango of the season.

Rosigold:

Pfft, Rosigold is so last month  ;) 

Venus and Maha Chanok:

That's right, I eat Venus in April AND October.
BrettBorders beat me on Maha.

I thought Venus was supposed to be late?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:15:28 PM by mangomongo »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2017, 07:49:57 PM »
Is that the normal size for a Venus?  I know Maha is not a large fruit,  I was under the impression that Venus was a 1.5 pounder  or is this just a small specimen ?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Yay... first mango of the season.

Rosigold:

Pfft, Rosigold is so last month  ;) 

Venus and Maha Chanok:

That's right, I eat Venus in April AND October.
BrettBorders beat me on Maha.

I thought Venus was supposed to be late?

Except when grown by Squam256! Then they're early, late, an in between  8). Had some in October last year.

Is that the normal size for a Venus?  I know Maha is not a large fruit,  I was under the impression that Venus was a 1.5 pounder  or is this just a small specimen ?

They're usually closer to a pound but can get larger. Mahas can get over a pound too.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »
Ah that is good to know,   I might get another tree,  either on my trip in June, or later in October.  but still trying to decide, so many new varieties.   Venus is just one I am considering,    Edgar was my last acquisition.   also have a MC. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2017, 09:22:08 AM »
First round of PPK, nothing else for a month or so.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
Sergio

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
My first mango of 2017.  Pickering.  About six weeks earlier than previous years.
John

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2017, 12:15:24 PM »

John, I am SO jealous but very happy for you! My biggest mango right now is barely golf ball size  ::)...Don't have my Pickering any longer **sigh**

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »
What happened to your Pickering Pugs??

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »
Yea the Pickering is a Mango Machine !

Ed
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
My first mango of 2017.  Pickering.  About six weeks earlier than previous years.

JOHN how do you know when the Pickering Mango fruit are ready !

This is what mine look like ..

Zone 10

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »
My Pickering had no green.  When they're ready, they'll fall into your hand with the slightest tug.
John

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
Hi John, its a long story Lol...I'll give you the short version  ;)

Almost 18 months ago we decided to put a Screen Porch in the backyard...short version my Pickering was right in the way of building it  :'(...tried to move it but it didn't survive  :'(

Not really wanting to add another Mango tree...I'd like to move in a couple of years to somewhere a little cooler. Somewhere where its not hot/warm 11 months a year lol, like the last couple of years. I will miss my mango trees of course but when I sell my house I will have the realtor put a clause in that says " I have the right to pick some mangoes once a year when they are ready for picking"  ;D 

My Pickering back in 2015...last picture of it  :(

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:19:02 PM by puglvr1 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »

Color should be golden yellow.  Then it needs to sit and ripen.  Must be fully max ripe,beven with some black spotting, to have sweetness and proper flavor.  Eat it before its time, its pretty blah/bland.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
Thanks Guys !

Pugs what a beautiful Pickering!

Good Luck With the move !

Ed
Zone 10

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
Hi John, its a long story Lol...I'll give you the short version  ;)

Almost 18 months ago we decided to put a Screen Porch in the backyard...short version my Pickering was right in the way of building it  :'(...tried to move it but it didn't survive  :'(

Not really wanting to add another Mango tree...I'd like to move in a couple of years to somewhere a little cooler. Somewhere where its not hot/warm 11 months a year lol, like the last couple of years. I will miss my mango trees of course but when I sell my house I will have the realtor put a clause in that says " I have the right to pick some mangoes once a year when they are ready for picking"  ;D 

My Pickering back in 2015...last picture of it  :(

So it sounds like you're planning on moving out of Florida, Nancy.  Southern California would be great climate-wise with the ability to still grow mangos, but who can afford it?!!!  I have neighbors who head up north in the summer--one couple to North Carolina, another to Maine.  And then there are all the Canadians who stay in their South Florida condos only in the winter.  My wife is a realtor, and she tells me that most buyers would want to chop down my fruit trees if we sold our house.
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »

Looks green to me.  I let Pickering color up more.

BTW, am I the only one that scoops out the meat in one piece with a spoon?   :D

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »
Young Sweet Tart coming along nicely.  This is it's first year to blossom after being grafted last year and topped above the first node.  Am letting it hold 9 fruit unless it taxes the vigor, then I'm gonna drop them.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
Not really wanting to add another Mango tree...I'd like to move in a couple of years to somewhere a little cooler. Somewhere where its not hot/warm 11 months a year lol, like the last couple of years.

Sounds just like Corpus Christi where I moved from after 42 miserable years.  It was a hot humid oven 10 mos. out of the year.

Moved to "God's country".  That's well known Texas location stamp for the hill country, central Texas.  This morn, eat your heart out.   ;D

Sorry about that Pickering.  It was a fine tree. 

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
Young Sweet Tart coming along nicely.  This is it's first year to blossom after being grafted last year and topped above the first node.  Am letting it hold 9 fruit unless it taxes the vigor, then I'm gonna drop them.

That's impressive after being grafted last year!  My tree got hit pretty bad with PM however I still have 9 fruits fattening up.
- Marley

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
Thanks All...my Pickering was a very nice tree, I do really miss it. My fault I should never have planted it that close to the house...se la vie!

Found a couple more pictures back in its hay day... She was a HUGE Pickering for being 3 years old, Lol...this one is NOT dwarf at all...

John, my dad lived in Northern Cali ( near SF) for 44 years...like you said "who can afford it now"! He was lucky the homes back then were very reasonable...not any more!! Love the climate there especially in the summer  :)

North Carolina would be awesome...but the prices there are quite a bit higher than FL...might have to be snow birds and rent for 6-7 months a year Lol...

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
Hi Squam 256 (aka Alex),

Here are some beginning of May fruit at my location that I hope will have some sweetness as most of my April early  tree drops were not colorful and not sweet.

Row 1&2 are what I call typical Glen Mango with peach aroma. Row 3&4 are also Glen Mango with peach aroma, however they are always elongated more and always a little earlier to ripen and usually sweeter. This was my only good tasting mango in the month of April. I prefer this elongated line of Glen. Do you have any like this?

Row5 = phillipean, Row 6 = small Haden picked with fungal issues ripening early, Row 7 = Okrung Tong but unfortunately my early ripening Okrung Tong are not colorful and are much inferior to last July 2016 crop with much less sugar and other normal tastes (it was at the top of my list for IMO best tasting mango last year).  I am hoping more leaves and heat will result in more sugar, better coloration, and better taste.

Have you had a similar opinion of your harvest on current early ripening mango taste vs. normal ripening time frames?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »
Hi Squam 256 (aka Alex),

Here are some beginning of May fruit at my location that I hope will have some sweetness as most of my April early  tree drops were not colorful and not sweet.

Row 1&2 are what I call typical Glen Mango with peach aroma. Row 3&4 are also Glen Mango with peach aroma, however they are always elongated more and always a little earlier to ripen and usually sweeter. This was my only good tasting mango in the month of April. I prefer this elongated line of Glen. Do you have any like this?

Row5 = phillipean, Row 6 = small Haden picked with fungal issues ripening early, Row 7 = Okrung Tong but unfortunately my early ripening Okrung Tong are not colorful and are much inferior to last July 2016 crop with much less sugar and other normal tastes (it was at the top of my list for IMO best tasting mango last year).  I am hoping more leaves and heat will result in more sugar, better coloration, and better taste.

Have you had a similar opinion of your harvest on current early ripening mango taste vs. normal ripening time frames?

Your row 3/4 mango appears to be Rosigold.

My March/early April fruit typically suffer in flavor comparisons to later fruit, but the fruit I've had the last 3 weeks have been very good overall.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
First Rumani mango. This cultivar is from southern India

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2017, 04:23:40 PM »
Hi Squam 256 (aka Alex),

Your row 3/4 mango appears to be Rosigold.
Alex, That would be fine to find out but I am unable to verify much on Rosigold in the forum or online thus far. I tried to find a match through the forum posts but have went back about 200 posts and no luck yet for finding pictures or description of aroma matching what I smell or see with a Rosigold. It has a peachy smell before and after cutting and a peachy taste. I will include a picture of the tree that was graphed about 4 years ago but I did not label the graphs as took many from a nursery from cuttings and buying some other small trees.

I went out I took a picture of the graphed tree with the trunk visible being this graft and the fruit visible with one split being the mango for identification. The other parallel limbs in the background are a graft also but it is from the typical Glen Mango look. I also have Keitt grafted on this tree at another site.

I will also post a picture of the cut open elongated Glen with a seed from another eaten yesterday in the plate. All of the mangos eaten today so far (about 5) were sweet and good tasting except 1 of 2 Okrung Tong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk