Author Topic: First mango fruit of 2017  (Read 29755 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: First mango fruit of 2017
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2017, 05:26:14 PM »
Hi Squam 256 (aka Alex),

Row 1&2 are what I call typical Glen Mango with peach aroma. Row 3&4 are also Glen Mango with peach aroma, however they are always elongated more and always a little earlier to ripen and usually sweeter. This was my only good tasting mango in the month of April. I prefer this elongated line of Glen. Do you have any like this?

Your row 3/4 mango appears to be Rosigold.
Alex, That would be fine to find out but I am unable to verify much on Rosigold in the forum or online thus far. I tried to find a match through the forum posts but have went back about 200 posts and no luck yet for finding pictures or description of aroma matching what I smell or see with a Rosigold. It has a peachy smell before and after cutting and a peachy taste. I will include a picture of the tree that was graphed about 4 years ago but I did not label the graphs as took many from a nursery from cuttings and buying some other small trees.

I went out I took a picture of the graphed tree with the trunk visible being this graft and the fruit visible with one split being the mango for identification. The other parallel limbs in the background are a graft also but it is from the typical Glen Mango look. I also have Keitt grafted on this tree at another site.

I will also post a picture of the cut open elongated Glen with a seed from another eaten yesterday in the plate. All of the mangos eaten today so far (about 5) were sweet and good tasting except 1 of 2 Okrung Tong.

It's definitely Rosigold, the peachy smell and flavor match as well.

Here are some photos of the few remaining on my Rosigold trees from the first crop. They'll have a second crop in summer:

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »
Hi Squam 256 (aka Alex),

Row 1&2 are what I call typical Glen Mango with peach aroma. Row 3&4 are also Glen Mango with peach aroma, however they are always elongated more and always a little earlier to ripen and usually sweeter. This was my only good tasting mango in the month of April. I prefer this elongated line of Glen. Do you have any like this?

Alex, That would be fine to find out but I am unable to verify much on Rosigold in the forum or online thus far. I tried to find a match through the forum posts but have went back about 200 posts and no luck yet for finding pictures or description of aroma matching what I smell or see with a Rosigold. It has a peachy smell before and after cutting and a peachy taste. I will include a picture of the tree that was graphed about 4 years ago but I did not label the graphs as took many from a nursery from cuttings and buying some other small trees.

I went out I took a picture of the graphed tree with the trunk visible being this graft and the fruit visible with one split being the mango for identification. The other parallel limbs in the background are a graft also but it is from the typical Glen Mango look. I also have Keitt grafted on this tree at another site.

I will also post a picture of the cut open elongated Glen with a seed from another eaten yesterday in the plate. All of the mangos eaten today so far (about 5) were sweet and good tasting except 1 of 2 Okrung Tong.

Here are some photos of the few remaining on my Rosigold trees from the first crop. They'll have a second crop in summer:

Great, thanks for letting me know. I guess I'm now in the camp of people who IMO like Rosigold better than Glen....  ;D

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
CARRIE Mango::
I might as well provide more pictures as Alex is letting me know what my early varieties really are called. So, next choice is what I believe is a Carrie Mango. This mango section was also grafted by myself about 2 years ago. I just picked it as it has turned yellowish green and the others  on the tree are only green. I would appreciate any advice to tell me when to eat it to best lessen the piney flavor I received when eating my Carrie Mangos last year. I am determined to eventually like them as so many people say they are good tasting. Perhaps I need to eat them like I did Spinach when a kid (I hated it and it was too strong of a flavor). Today I really enjoy Spinach, especially with a little salt. So where does the help begin, or should I just cut now as the piney resin already got on my fingers and I smell the pine sap.  ;D
Help was found per old thread: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20482.msg256992#msg256992

Great news.....I halved the Carrie Mango under light running water to remove sap. I then spooned out mango and ate it and it was & is delicious IMO vs. last year skinning and getting sap over it and almost wanting to spit out the pinesol mess.... So, all ye Carrie haters as I was last year...Try this method with rinsing off all sap & minimum cutting of the skin as mentioned in the old thread... I now have Yummy Carries.... Case Solved...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:29:30 PM by palmcity »

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
Hi Squam 256 (aka Alex),

Great, thanks for letting me know. I guess I'm now in the camp of people who IMO like Rosigold better than Glen....  ;D

I think so too. The earliest Rosigolds usually taste like a store bought Ataulfo, but after a couple weeks their flavor really opens up nicely, and it holds up better to wet conditions than Glenn. Less vigorous tree too and more consistent bloomers.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
My first PSM. The rest are about a month or 2 behind as this one was a wild winter blooming.

Yeah that's an awesome cage. How do you attach it? Make it or bought it?

My husband (Gambit) made them. I'll try to get step by step instructions for them posted somewhere I can link to here. They are made of vinyl covered steel mesh and fold into the tubes. They are attached to the tree using garden stretch ties.

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »
Here's another view of the cage:
postimage
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2017, 12:45:13 AM »
Quality of mangoes will be much better if they are not left on the tree until they naturally drop.  Even if letting color up, which many should do before picking, you still want to pick before it is at the stage where it drops off on its own.

Once picked, let it sit and ripen on a table on your porch or the like where they will be exposed to natural outdoor ambient temperatures.  Do not put them in a bag and keep them out if the AC when ripeni g...and never put in fridge if not ripe and ready to eat. 

Personally,  mangoes are best to eat when not refrigerated hiwever I understand some like them chilled.  Keep in mind, the colder they are the more the flavors and nuances will be muted and less complex.
- Rob

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2017, 01:09:37 AM »
Good advise, Rob. We don't actually let the mangos drop to the bottom of the cage. We're so antsy that one of us is out there daily "fondling"  :-[ those mangos, which are easily accessible through the bottom of the cage. Nice thing is if they drop, the fruit doesn't get bruised. And they do oftentimes drop, but those that are ready will come off easily with a gentle tug.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
First Dot:

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »
My first Spirit of 76; big one in the center.  Surrounded by a few Coconut Cream, Mahachanoks, Fairchild, and Rosigolds.

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »
Rapoza. My 3 year old tree produced about 15 to 20. Size ranged from 1 to 1.5 lbs. They grow bright red on the tree and best flavor comes when picking at the first appearance of yellow.  I have about 5 left on the tree.

This one was 1lb 1oz.  Fiberless and quite sweet. Let it ripen too long and it will get mushy. This was at peak ripeness.  The seed is fairly thin and there was no fiber attached to it.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
Sweet.  Rapoza is ultra fiberless.  Frankie in Hawaii advised Even the seed lacks fibers attached.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
Hey Fellas I would like to buy a few CC Mangoes if any one has an abundant Harvest , Can pay via PP.
Thanks Ed 
Zone 10

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
First Zill and Sturrock:

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2017, 08:50:36 AM »
First Zill and Sturrock:

What does the Sturrock taste like?

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
First (actually 4th) Spirit of '76.

I've had my Spirit tree for several years, and this year it produced the best crop by far.
I have harvested 4 fruits, all were gorgeous, and 3 were absolutely delicious. (One was filched by a raccoon, and I haven't heard back regarding quality.)

I check the tree at least 3 times a day, and harvest when the mango turns from cool colors to warm colors.

The tree is in a poor location, in that it gets morning shade and little air circulation.
For whatever reason, the conditions during its primary bloom must have been okay.  :D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
First (actually 4th) Spirit of '76.

I've had my Spirit tree for several years, and this year it produced the best crop by far.
I have harvested 4 fruits, all were gorgeous, and 3 were absolutely delicious. (One was filched by a raccoon, and I haven't heard back regarding quality.)

I check the tree at least 3 times a day, and harvest when the mango turns from cool colors to warm colors.

The tree is in a poor location, in that it gets morning shade and little air circulation.
For whatever reason, the conditions during its primary bloom must have been okay.  :D

So you have a true fruit cocktail tree...mango, peach and kiwi on the same tree.  Nice!
- Rob

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
Finally getting ataulfos here in Baja. M-hmmmm - goood!

Looks like a productive year too.

The ones in the center are a mango variety called Mamey here. They need more time to ripen. The cloths are my harvesting system to catch the fruit when it falls from the tree. Everyone seems to grow mangos here so there is no local market for them - just an 18-hour drive from California.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:39:58 PM by BajaJohn »

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »
My Nam Doc Mai's are coming fast and furious now. Sweet enough to break your Brix Meter. I've also had a couple of Maha Chanok's drop.

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2017, 09:20:07 PM »
Finally getting ataulfos here in Baja. M-hmmmm - goood!
Looks like a productive year too.

The ones in the center are a mango variety called Mamey here. They need more time to ripen. The cloths are my harvesting system to catch the fruit when it falls from the tree.
The net system looks like a great idea for taller older trees that you do not want to cut due to shade etc. but you do want to harvest the fruit.

Someone should probably show your picture to the owner of Truly Tropical as Chris repeatedly says she has no equipment to get the fruit down from the tall trees. Here is one of her video's (I don't remember for sure if the comments are in this video however I know the big Hadens are on the S.E. section).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Ne91TFnAc

It would probably work on some of Truly Tropicals areas like from the trees on the fence to 10 yards into her property to catch a lot and have them roll downward to a ending location as BajaJohn does. I know the tarp has a cost but so does labor for picking and it looks like a lot of fun to wake up and see if the Hens have laid any eggs today type of situation. 

Those edward mango trees sure look tall at Tropical Acreas also.   https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMbdMUhRpqMgq87aSPzFbbDm_RXWlHw677veE4lejSRezgX-3M8hmUIozAqn3azrg?key=UWxsc093TXpGS3JoaG5sVGFINnJ3aFo0TFNfTzN3

The tarp is a good idea BajaJohn and the mangos, trees, and tarp all look very cool.

Wow, I just read Just an 18 hour drive from California..... That's quite a drive...Especially in a truck... I googled and came a little less so I guess with car 14 hour 32minutes to San Diego but still quite a drive.  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+Diego,+California/Loreto,+Baja+California+Sur,+Mexico/@29.3683877,-118.7515569,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79!2m2!1d-117.1610838!2d32.715738!1m5!1m1!1s0x86b43b89530f87b1:0x178b5e606baccafe!2m2!1d-111.3477531!2d26.0117564   
Maybe your just a little more south Sur than Loreto that I entered....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:55:45 PM by palmcity »

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2017, 12:09:27 AM »

The tarp is a good idea BajaJohn and the mangos, trees, and tarp all look very cool.

Wow, I just read Just an 18 hour drive from California..... That's quite a drive...Especially in a truck... I googled and came a little less so I guess with car 14 hour 32minutes to San Diego but still quite a drive.  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+Diego,+California/Loreto,+Baja+California+Sur,+Mexico/@29.3683877,-118.7515569,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79!2m2!1d-117.1610838!2d32.715738!1m5!1m1!1s0x86b43b89530f87b1:0x178b5e606baccafe!2m2!1d-111.3477531!2d26.0117564   
Maybe your just a little more south Sur than Loreto that I entered....
Thanks. You are right about the drive. It is 18 hours from LaPaz which is about 5 hours South of me (26.009718,-111.350158). Still a whole lot faster than getting them from India.
The material is shade cloth which comes in handy for shading plants later in the summer too. The fruit seems perfect for eating when it falls but I'm not sure about using them in a commercial venture. They overripen quite quickly, especially the ataulfos later in the season. My Manzanas which seem similar to Hadens seem to keep much better.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:30:17 AM by BajaJohn »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »
first Angie... which is a miracle considering the fruit was found untouched on the floor and this tree was underwater two days ago. Between the ducks and the family of iguanas in the backyard it's amazing nothing nibbled on it. Ate it on the firmer side and it was delicious. A little chalky/tart which I find best for angie (rather than allow it to get mushy).

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:04:41 PM by savemejebus »

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2017, 08:36:22 PM »
first Angie... which is a miracle considering the fruit was found untouched on the floor and this tree was underwater two days ago. Between the ducks and the family of iguanas in the backyard it's amazing nothing nibbled on it. Ate it on the firmer side and it was delicious. A little chalky/tart which I find best for angie (rather than allow it to get mushy).

Very Nice. Love Angie, harvested some this week.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
Honey Kiss. Fruits are about .75 lbs and are very slow growing and not great looking. But the 2 year old tree is producing like a Rosigold and Pickering in terms of quantity.  Flavor and sweetness is excellent despite the appearance.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
Honey Kiss. Fruits are about .75 lbs and are very slow growing and not great looking. But the 2 year old tree is producing like a Rosigold and Pickering in terms of quantity.  Flavor and sweetness is excellent despite the appearance.

Wait a minute!  I thought Honey Kiss was a late variety.
John