Author Topic: Its Now Time To Foliar Feed For Best Crop Of Fruit  (Read 34554 times)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Its Now Time To Foliar Feed For Best Crop Of Fruit
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2018, 01:55:55 PM »
Thanks Millet.  Good info. My citrus (except kumquat and grapefruit) are all in flower bud now so it's too late for this regimen for me.  However, due to a several day cold snap (~20F) here on the upper Texas Gulf Coast in mid-January most of my in-ground citrus pretty much kicked most/all of their leaves.  They are generally leafing out with abandon now.  Would this regimen have worked had I sprayed prior to the cold weather?
Thanks
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »
To obtain the best results of developing a good crop, low biuret urea should be sprayed 30 to 45 days prior to bloom.   However, after the bloom is completed (after early drop) a foliar spray of low biuret urea greatly helps with obtaining fruit of good size and quality.

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »
well my berott reading is very different and i have no idea how to interpret it.....this is what it says = Mx beiret 7.8 grams biuret/kg N
      what does that mean please?

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2018, 07:58:12 AM »
if writing berott you mean BIURET then your urea fertilizer  has approximately  0.36% of biuret 
Lorenzo

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »
Lory....cool thanks for that......mine is good then.....
Millet.....is it good to spray pre autumn flush?....plus my lemons are still growing.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »
Low Biuret Urea is normally foliar sprayed a month before expected flowering, again after early drop, and once more after what is called in the northern hemisphere as June drop (late drop) although it does not always occur in the month of June. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:07:14 PM by Millet »

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
I have fed my citrus inground with soluble fert high in nitrogen(made up of urea) and they have really responded to the urea ......leaves look great.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »
My trees are about 70 percent through the bloom, and are now in the stage where the majority of the blooms have turned into small 1-mm fruitlets, In a week or so the tree will finish deciding  how many of the fruitlets it is capable of retaining and bring to maturity, then dropping the rest, which is the called Early Drop period.  After that it is time to make the second foliar spray application of low-biuret urea, which will increase both the fruit size and fruit quality.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:26:34 PM by Millet »

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 09:25:14 PM »
Hello, Millet. I sprayed my trees with low biuret urea at the concentration you recommended. After spraying, I noticed that two trees, an Australian red lime and one of two trifoliate citrus trees (same but unkown variety/species) showed damaged leaves - brown tips. This is only two trees out of about 55 trees and about 30 varieties. My point is that urea spray is not always innocuous.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2018, 09:24:57 PM »
Great.  I'll spray it today evening after work.   I probably have to sell the extra to local.  If I can't sell it, is it good for any other trees?.  1 click purchase from Amazon is not convenience sometime.

Thank you Millet for your info.
tony

I'm curious about the "Good for other trees?" question as well.  In my online research, I didn't arrive at a definitive answer as to whether LBU is recommended for other fruit trees, such as Avocado, Peach, Plum, Cherry, Fig, Berries, and so forth.  Anyone care to comment?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »
My attention is mostly on citrus.  I don't know the nutrition needs of many of the other fruit trees, I did spray LBU on my in ground Pomegranate this year at the same time as I sprayed all of my citrus trees.  I can tell you this from my observation.   The pomegranate flowered and set more fruit this year than any of the previous years growing this tree.  2018 is going o be a huge crop.   Also, I remember reading an article of foliar feeding a fruit tree with LBU, but I don't remember what the cultivar was.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:39:58 AM by Millet »

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2018, 10:24:40 PM »
Where would you begin to look at getting urea? I'm interested in seeing some pricing on it. Is it available online, or z_willus_d do you know where to get some locally? I pass through lincoln/roseville almost weekly on my way to auburn.

My orange tree is almost done blooming and there's alot of fruitlets on it Pomello and possibly lemon soon to follow.
Does anyone know if this works on persimmons? The bees are very busy this year and I can hardly hear if I go under one of my trees....

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:27:20 PM by zephian »
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2018, 11:09:42 AM »
Where would you begin to look at getting urea? I'm interested in seeing some pricing on it. Is it available online, or z_willus_d do you know where to get some locally? I pass through lincoln/roseville almost weekly on my way to auburn.

My orange tree is almost done blooming and there's alot of fruitlets on it Pomello and possibly lemon soon to follow.
Does anyone know if this works on persimmons? The bees are very busy this year and I can hardly hear if I go under one of my trees....

Thanks,
Hi Zephian, I ended up buying it on Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054PA524/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the surfactant here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZAPHMV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can find much better deals in bulk on ebay and probably at a local Ag distribution, but I didn't want to have a ton of this stuff in storage, as I understand the B builds up w/ time and heat so the LBU becomes not so L.  I'm still dithering a bit on whether I want to use the LBU, since it's not strictly organic so far as I understand, but I will probably give it a try on a a few trees to see how they compare with untreated.  It's not scientific, but if I don't see any obvious improvement to the fruit (Size, quality, health of tree), I'll probably forego in the future.  As far as breaking the organic chain, this one seems pretty safe and innocuous for us humans.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
“, as I understand the B builds up w/ time and heat so the LBU becomes not so L.”

Good info on the way low biurett breaks down.  So I bought some low biurette and am storing it in my garage.  I have about a years worth.  How quickly does this change occur? Summer is coming and my garage gets quite warm here on the upper Texas gulf coast.
Thanks
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
“, as I understand the B builds up w/ time and heat so the LBU becomes not so L.”

Good info on the way low biurett breaks down.  So I bought some low biurette and am storing it in my garage.  I have about a years worth.  How quickly does this change occur? Summer is coming and my garage gets quite warm here on the upper Texas gulf coast.
Thanks
I think I picked that idea up from others on this forum, but I'm having trouble finding anything on the web to back it up.  Regardless, I will store any excess Urea products in a cool dry place indoors.

I found this article informative:
http://managingnutrients.blogspot.com/2013/01/biuret-in-urea-fertilizers.html

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
I used the low biuret urea (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OAYGEA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the leaves on almost all of my plants developed brown tips, i.e., chemical burn. I used 100g urea/gal and
1 Tsp Hi-Yield Spreader Sticker/gal.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
Vlad, sorry to hear that.  What % biuret did your urea contain?   What time of day did you spray? Over all my sprayings, and I have sprayed all varieties of citrus with low biuret urea, with the addition of a tsp of TW-20 surfactant per gallon I have never seen any leaf damage at all - none, but have seen wonderful nutritional results.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:32:35 PM by Millet »

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
I used the low biuret urea (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OAYGEA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the leaves on almost all of my plants developed brown tips, i.e., chemical burn. I used 100g urea/gal and
1 Tsp Hi-Yield Spreader Sticker/gal.
That looks like the one I just sprayed on my citrus -- same concentration.  I haven't observed any leaf burn, but I do see a light white residual on the leaves here and there.  I washed the residual off with fresh water the day after application, but it somewhat remains.  I made the mistake of spraying a bit of the same on about half of my tomato seedlings just to see if I could give them a N-push (they're small for their size this time of year), but it burned the edges of all the tomato leaves.  It's not going to be fatal, but it's certainly not helping.  I can post an example of the two described leaves later.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »
z-willis you should not have washed off the white residue, doing so took away urea's advantage..   The white residue was urea.  A plant's leaf can only absorb nutrients applied as a foliar spray as long as the spray remains wet on the leaf. Urea has a big advantage over other nitrogen sources in that urea is VERY hydrophobic.  When the humidity rises the dried urea foliar solution will re-hydrate and the tree once again absorbs more nutrition. No other nitrogen fertilizer has that ability.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
z-willis you should not have washed off the white residue, doing so took away urea's advantage..   The white residue was urea.  A plant's leaf can only absorb nutrients applied as a foliar spray as long as the spray remains wet on the leaf. Urea has a big advantage over other nitrogen sources in that urea is VERY hydrophobic.  When the humidity rises the dried urea foliar solution will re-hydrate and the tree once again absorbs more nutrition. No other nitrogen fertilizer has that ability.

Millet- I had a sense the residual was was Urea power, but I was a scared after the burning on the tomato plants, and I also figured the re-hydration would give the N another change to leach into the leaves (what washed off would just meet the soil below.  I'm still seeing a good deal of white powder on the citrus, so I'm sure there's plenty to go around.  Here are the promised pics fresh off the Android.

Burned tomato leaves:

Less-burned (or possibly totally unaffected) Blueberry leaves:

Unaffected Citrus leaves:

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »
For comparison, here's my "Buoi" pummelo leaves look like, before and after:

A moment before sprayed, April 29 2018:

Today:

Like some of you, I also used that same Low Biuret urea from Amazon, at Millet's recommended concentration: 100gr/G with a teaspoon of stickler-spreader; sprayed once under, and once on top of the leaves...

So, a thank you again to our moderator for sharing a good advice, I think my pummelo (and probably my all other citrus trees) leaves look much greener now... :D
Sam

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2018, 11:19:31 PM »
I used the same low biuret urea others on this thread have used. Perhaps the problem was caused by the Hi-Yield Spreader Sticker?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »
There was a study of surfactants done several years back. The aim of the study was to determine the best, and as important, the safest surfactant for citrus applications.  The surfactant turned out to be TW-20 (also known as Tween-20 and Polysorbate-20).  You can find this study in the text 'Advances In Citrus Nutrition'.Another good aspect of TW-20 is that the surfactant is food grade.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:30:24 PM by Millet »

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2018, 12:55:15 AM »
Its time again.  I have some grafted varieties and have some small fruits.  Is is it safe to do foliar feed again?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
I take it your in Fountain Valley California.  The fruit on your tree should now be in the cell division stage.  This second spray of LBU is to extend the length of the cell division stage, thus producing larger fruit.  As long as their is no blossoms currently on your tree (and at this time of year the flowering period should be well over) then yes it should be completely safe to spray. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:58:11 PM by Millet »