Author Topic: Annona xilopiaefolia  (Read 2086 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Annona xilopiaefolia
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:55:53 AM »
Anyone familiar with this Annona on Helton's site?  I can't find anything on it but I am suspicious of the spelling of the species name.  Sounds like it is  referencing a resemblance to a annonaceous genus, Xylopia but I can't find anything if the spelling given is wrong...

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Annona xilopiaefolia
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:06:47 AM »
Not familiar with this species, but correct spelling should be xylopifolia. Here is what plantlist.org says about this species:
This name is unresolved, but some data suggest that it is synonymous with Rollinia xylopiifolia.
Rollinia xylopifolia is an accepted name. Once rollinias got lumped into Annona genus that species probably became Annona xylopifolia. Google with that spelling and you will get some hits.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
It is a little hard to find, but Helton has his own description here: www.colecionandofrutas.org/annonaxilopiaefolia.htm  (Google Chrome is great for whole page translation) Looking at pictures and the following description, it does not look much different from those small seeded sugar apples: "The fruit has sweet pulp and the pulp must be removed by sucking it and scraping the seeds with their teeth"
I looked at all the rare anonnas he has and ordered this one. Looks like most promising one: http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/annonasylvatica.htm  "The fruits are sweet pulp and releases easily from seed. It is one of the best araticuns for consumption in natura, having great potential for commercial fruit production"

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
Thanks, Oscar.  That corrected spelling helped.  Found a good resource on Rollinia in the process & will post a link later today in the appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks, Rytis.  From What I have found, A. xylopifolia doesn't look like a real winner (small fruit, flesh clings to seeds, etc).  The one you mention (A. sylvatica) was already on my list & sounds like a good one.

John

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 10:39:25 AM »
Hi, Today I saw a sprouted seed of this super rare species

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/annonaxilopiaefolia.htm

it seems to be very tasty
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop