Author Topic: Help Identifying Cherimoya Fruit  (Read 1362 times)

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Help Identifying Cherimoya Fruit
« on: April 06, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just curious if the collective here can help me narrow down what Cherimoya cultivar I enjoyed last weekend. The Cherimoya had strong notes of bubblegum and mint. The people at the roadside stand where I purchased the fruit from could not identify the variety. Which cultivar is known for these flavors? I have included a photo for reference. Thanks for your time.

ryanscion

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Cherimoya Fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 01:14:26 AM »
Mostly el bumpo.
If you don't mind me asking, where is this road stand in San Diego?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 06:22:02 AM »
It's a little late in the season for a cherimoya, I'd be interested to find out what varieties produce at this time, or whether this was caused by timely leaf stripping.

Looks similar to Sabor, but I wouldn't describe the taste of Sabor that way. Maybe off season fruit.

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
Mostly el bumpo.
If you don't mind me asking, where is this road stand in San Diego?

Thanks for your comment. Sure, no problem - this was purchased from Farm Stand West in Escondido, CA.

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »
It's a little late in the season for a cherimoya, I'd be interested to find out what varieties produce at this time, or whether this was caused by timely leaf stripping.

Looks similar to Sabor, but I wouldn't describe the taste of Sabor that way. Maybe off season fruit.

I am also surprised to find many places still selling cherimoyas right now but still happy regardless that the season is extended. Unfortunately varietal/cultivar info isn't mentioned at these places. Thanks for the comment, I'll have to find a sabor 'moya tree this year or at least find some scionwood later on!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
My trees are still producing lots cherimoyas.  Its from pollinating late in the season and Dr white seems to ripen later. 
Brad Spaugh

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 05:21:35 PM »
The one in the circle looks like an atemoya.  In SoCal, they are available but not as abundant.  I still have one on my tree waiting for picking.  I visit a nursery specialize in atemoya.  They have plenty of plants with fruits.  I believe they will harvest them all soon to get the plant ready for flowerings except a few for show and tell. 

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
The one in the circle looks like an atemoya.  In SoCal, they are available but not as abundant.  I still have one on my tree waiting for picking.  I visit a nursery specialize in atemoya.  They have plenty of plants with fruits.  I believe they will harvest them all soon to get the plant ready for flowerings except a few for show and tell.

Curious to know what nursery. Thanks.

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 01:14:19 PM »

Curious to know what nursery. Thanks.

Magnolia Gardens Nursery in Garden Grove at the corner of Katella and Magnolia.
10722 Magnolia Ave.
Stanton, CA 92804
714-657-2291

Garden Grove or Stanton?  I got confused because they have it both city depend on the source.

I bought a Red and Green Geffner Atamoya at this nursery.  They are pricey but I believe they have better deal with large selection.  They also have Australian Atemoya and many tropical fruits and vegetables.