Author Topic: Pollination Under Screen Protection  (Read 949 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Pollination Under Screen Protection
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
I am growing my citrus under a screen to protect from the Asian citrus psyllid / HLB disease. I didn’t consider it before but I got to thinking, when my citrus flowers, will they be able to be pollinated without insects? I do see some ants in there but no bees or flying bugs that could pollinate. Would wind do it?

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Pollination Under Screen Protection
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »
 Have you measured the screen hole size to see if some insects will get through?  I've seen many ants on my citrus trees, but they are mostly there to tend to the aphids or the scale. I've never seen a photo of an ant covered with pollen.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
Fruit Grower you don't say what type of citrus you have under your screen.  However, many, even most citrus varieties are self pollinating and do not require help from bees & etc.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 08:48:54 PM »
Have you measured the screen hole size to see if some insects will get through?  I've seen many ants on my citrus trees, but they are mostly there to tend to the aphids or the scale. I've never seen a photo of an ant covered with pollen.

It’s agfabric Agfabric Bird Netting Insect Barrier Garden Plant Cover 72" H x 72" W in-Shape Bag with Rope, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HBBN78M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3nDoFbVC5XP3Q

Note sure the size but there’s no flying insects in there. Ants come up through the pot and up the trunk of the tree.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »
Fruit Grower you don't say what type of citrus you have under your screen.  However, many, even most citrus varieties are self pollinating and do not require help from bees & etc.

Currently I have a Glenn Navel, a Dwarf Ponkan, and a Sugarbelle (you gave me advice on another thread), but yesterday I ordered a finger lime, Honey Murcott, Dancy, Key lime, and a lemon (Eureka or Meyer, can’t remember which I went with). They’re all under the same screen right now. If I put them under different screen enclosures would it matter?

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM »
It was a eureka.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:34:25 PM »
Eureka lemon is self fertile, does not need bees & etc. to pollinate the flowers.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 12:25:49 AM »
Thank you! Do you know about the others?