Author Topic: Variegated Mango  (Read 2658 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Variegated Mango
« on: October 25, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
So I found a variegated Piña Colada seedling this year. In asking around, only one person said they’ve personally seen a variegated seedling come up and I see Adam/FF posted he had one as well.  Variegation seems a genetic weakness but I’m curious who else has seen one from their planting efforts.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Variegated Mango
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »
So I found a variegated Piña Colada seedling this year. In asking around, only one person said they’ve personally seen a variegated seedling come up and I see Adam/FF posted he had one as well.  Variegation seems a genetic weakness but I’m curious who else has seen one from their planting efforts.

Are you sure its variegated and not a disease/deficiency?  You have pictures?

I have seen this in sapodilla but not mangoes.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:15:38 AM »
I planted out many Pina Colada seedlings and I don’t recall seeing any variegation. Hopefully it grows well and holds the variegation!

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »

Hope it holds...kinda weird that only half of the leaf is variegated. I believe this is a pickering. could be a maha chanok though.

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 04:19:54 PM »
My big kent tree threw a variegated flush on a branch, abot 5 leaves.  the next flush was green.... I may try to graft it and see if i can isolate it.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 04:54:17 PM »
New growth on variegated Piña Colada interesting. Purple leaves sport green portions where he variegation will show white on mature green leaves.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 04:54:43 PM »
My big kent tree threw a variegated flush on a branch, abot 5 leaves.  the next flush was green.... I may try to graft it and see if i can isolate it.

Let us know how this goes.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 11:00:33 AM »
This is cool I was reading this a month ago
(note in quote RHS stands for Royal Horticulture society )
https://www.totallandscapecare.com/lawn-care/spotting-the-signs-variegated-plant-reversion/

(I know witches brooms Like those tiny conifers can happen from mutations from insect pressure
Now Reading below I wonder if they variegate because the leaves are getting to much sun
as you can see if they are flooded they can switch back (maybe to get more sun for plant.)

(note I put plants in shade when stressed to get them back to life
 I wonder if the plants prevent light getting to leaves to do the same naturally since they live in place, and not in pot)

Problem and symptoms
A common problem with variegated plants is the limited amount of chlorophyll in the leaves. When there’s less chlorophyll present, there’s less solar energy, which is a key component in photosynthesis.

Variegated plants are said to be less vigorous than green specimens, and experts say that the reversion tendency of variegated leaves is a protective adaptation that allows the plant to return to a form that is more successful.

The question now becomes, why does this reversion happen in the first place? A few suggestions have been that the plants do this as a survival technique, and others say it occurs because of another leaf cell mutation.

For variegated plants in shadier locations, the disadvantages grow, as they have lower levels of chlorophyll and are not exposed to adequate amounts of light, which can lead to variegated reversion.

Temperature changes can also play a part in variegated reversion, as some plants may revert to get a competitive advantage over the elements. When a plant’s leaves revert back to all green, the plant can increase its harvest of solar energy and get more energy to produce stronger, bigger growth. Similarly, plants that are waterlogged may also turn back, and their shoots will often come out green.

The RHS says that virus infections can also cause a form of variegation, and the organization also notes that very few variegated plants can be raised from seeds, as reversion usually is a growth disorder, not a genetic one.

It’s fairly easy to notice shoots that have reverted, as they will appear as pure green shoots that will emerge from branches of an already variegated plant.

These shoots will contain more chlorophyll than variegated plants and they are more vigorous and can take over the plant eventually. Mainly, RHS says this is a problem with variegated shrubs and trees, but it can also affect colored Phormium hybrids.

Many plants will revert only on the stem, branch or other areas like that, and these can be cut off to prevent reversion on the entire plant. This typically works to slow the production of green leaf cells.

While it may not stop the reversion process completely, it can help prolong the variegated look for a bit longer. This can give your customers time to either have new variegated plants planted elsewhere in the landscape, start new with non-variegated plants in the same area or embrace the bright green plants that will soon take the place of the once variegated ones.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 11:10:30 AM »

Now Reading below I wonder if they variegate because the leaves are getting to much sun
as you can see if they are flooded they can switch back (maybe to get more sun for plant.)

(note I put plants in shade when stressed to get them back to life
 I wonder if the plants prevent light getting to leaves to do the same naturally since they live in place, and not in pot)

Temperature changes can also play a part in variegated reversion, as some plants may revert to get a competitive advantage over the elements. When a plant’s leaves revert back to all green, the plant can increase its harvest of solar energy and get more energy to produce stronger, bigger growth.

Similarly, plants that are waterlogged may also turn back, and their shoots will often come out green.

Why I thought of this Idea of nature acting the way it does, and my confusion with my own results

I thought of this statement I made while posting
but it does contradict what I said

I often put plants in shade to over come stress -- prevent light on plants to over come problems
oddly with flooding  I did do to plants IN POTS
Article says variegated plants do the opposite they turn green gathering more light after being variegated reverting back because of flooding
so plants gather more light

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 01:58:46 AM »
maha chanok seedling (i grafted one and it took, hopefully can sell some one day, so far pattern is holding up and improving, after starting off as faint and hard to notice…which is unusual in my experience)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

mysteryknight

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 11:22:48 PM »
I have a varigated Malika seedling. It's in full shade on its second year in ground. It's a slow grower but it looks very cool.

James

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk