Author Topic: Improved Huckelberries?  (Read 1273 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Improved Huckelberries?
« on: February 16, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
I have a lot of native huckleberries and have actually grown to like the taste as much or more than blueberries. Are there improved varieties of huckleberry? I have seen a good bit of variation in the wild ones..

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Huckelberries?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 07:57:43 AM »
Interesting article. I wonder what developments have occurred since it was written.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 12:09:59 PM »
A lot of what is called huckleberry is actually a blueberry or blueberry relative (vaccinium species). True huckleberries should only have 10 seeds and are in the Gaylussacia species.

Triggered! Vaccinium huckleberries are true huckleberries.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 05:29:19 PM »
850FL, yes the wild mountain huckelberries I have tasted in Idaho mountains are the Vaccinium membranaceum we have here in the West. I like them a lot, tastes much better/different than blueberries. First time I picked/ate these was when I went to a wedding in Schweitzers Mountain resort in Idaho during the summer. I tried to grow a small plant but it didn't make it. Also got some seedling plants from a nursery and it died after 7 months. I might try growing them again this summer. I read up on this huckleberry and found that only the seed grown plants usually survives and transplanting a wild plant will not make it. May need to start the seeds indoors and keep them in a small greenhouse until they get large enough to be without protection.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:32:49 PM by sc4001992 »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 05:50:53 PM »
Oh there are some selections of V. ovatum. No idea if they're any better. https://onegreenworld.com/product-category/berries/huckleberry/

I have three V. ovatum in my yard from two sources. Of the four I planted one died, but the others have been looking good for a couple years now, growing fairly slowly. I had some flowers but I don't think the fruit made it to maturity. The ones in more shade do better. All came in 1 gallon pots.

My blueberries just put out such an overwhelming amount of flowers and berries that improving V. ovatum doesn't seem like a worthwhile pursuit. Introducing some ovatum genes into blueberries could be neat. I wouldn't be surprised if some blueberries have some ovatum in their parentage.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 06:18:57 PM »
Nate, nice plants. The ones you mention are probably better suited for backyard gardens. I have not tried any other huckleberry besides the mountain ones.

I just like the mountain huckleberry because it has a different/unique taste. Also it will remind me of the Idaho mountains where I hiked and picked fruits from the wild plants. I can buy good tasting blueberries from the store so I would not grow them in my yard since I'm out of room already.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:12:12 PM by sc4001992 »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 09:31:02 AM »
I guess what I have been eating are sparkleberries!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/floridafruitgeek.com/2018/01/28/sparkleberry-the-wild-blueberry-cousin-that-supplies-me-with-antioxidants-all-winter/amp/

He says at the end he has not been able to root cuttings or sprout seeds. I don’t believe I have been able to do either as well, but I see in the wild they ground layer..

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »
I guess what I have been eating are sparkleberries!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/floridafruitgeek.com/2018/01/28/sparkleberry-the-wild-blueberry-cousin-that-supplies-me-with-antioxidants-all-winter/amp/

He says at the end he has not been able to root cuttings or sprout seeds. I don’t believe I have been able to do either as well, but I see in the wild they ground layer..

I was wondering if that might be the case. To me they taste like blueberry with some cranberry mixed in.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »
Have you seen the enormous size of some of our sparkleberry trees?!

Often times I walk through a park or woods and think at first oh, theres a big crape myrtle but its actually a monster sparkleberry LOL

So, are they easy to graft and a viable rootstock for other vaccinium species? And are they vigorous growers, or just slow growers that eventually reach great height?

And how old do you think some of these monster ones are (15-30 footers)??
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:58:57 PM by 850FL »