Author Topic: Water tote as a planter experience  (Read 631 times)

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Water tote as a planter experience
« on: March 04, 2021, 07:01:05 AM »
Just wandered if anyone had used a water tote as a planter and how well it worked for them, also what was the longevity (did the plastic break down)?
Thanks

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Water tote as a planter experience
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
I have planted plants in barrels before so I'm sure the tote will also work. The plastic is thick and durable ,so will last at least several years, u can also paint it so it looks better and preserves the plastic from the UV. Will also need to make alot of big drainage hols at the bottom.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 12:09:53 PM »
They sit outside for their entire life, so one can assume they're UV treated and durable. I would go for it if you can find them cheap just be sure to clean them well - no knowing what they contained beforehand.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 03:37:26 PM »
Thanks, I'm thinking of using them for avocado trees. It will be easier to set up a better draining soil for them, also won't have to worry about moles and such bothering the roots.
P.S. Small varieties of avocados.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 03:47:34 PM »
Thanks, I'm thinking of using them for avocado trees. It will be easier to set up a better draining soil for them, also won't have to worry about moles and such bothering the roots.
P.S. Small varieties of avocados.

I had considered them for my enormous white sapote that is 10' tall. I think you'll be good, just be sure to use something like 70% sand and stone so it doesn't get all water logged

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 04:41:10 PM »
Can one of you please post a picture or a link so I can see what you're talking about?  I just looked for "water tote" on Amazon and didn't come up with anything that looked like it could be used as a planter.

Thanks!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »
Can one of you please post a picture or a link so I can see what you're talking about?  I just looked for "water tote" on Amazon and didn't come up with anything that looked like it could be used as a planter.

Thanks!

Search for IBC Tote

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk