Author Topic: Air layering almond  (Read 804 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Air layering almond
« on: June 21, 2021, 12:50:06 PM »
Hi, I have a unneeded branch on my almond tree, instead of just cutting it off I would like to air layer it ,it has two almond varieties grafted onto it, the branch itself is a 2-3 y/o young scaffold. Can almond be air layered ??  Thanks for helping !!

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Air layering almond
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:38:28 PM »
Iv never done almond before but im sure itll work. Air layering works on most trees. Worst comes to worst it doesnt root and you were going to cut it off anyways right? My guess is it will work just fine and you can save your grafts.
Bill

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 04:16:10 AM »
Iv never done almond before but im sure itll work. Air layering works on most trees. Worst comes to worst it doesnt root and you were going to cut it off anyways right? My guess is it will work just fine and you can save your grafts.
thanks ,I will air layer it today, hope it makes some roots for me in the next months.
I also air layered an apple branch a few days ago ,most of the leaves on the branch got toasted, dunno why and I think since its also grafted this spring the connection of the grafts is not so strong yet and this may be the reason.
Hope this does not happen with the almond also ...

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 07:39:58 AM »
Sounds like heat stress possibly.
Bill

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:02:04 AM »
Sounds like heat stress possibly.
may be, were having a heat wave right now ,with temps around 35c ,maybe more....it will be like this for a couple more days, I will do the layer anyways since whole summer will have temps like that usually.
I have made also several grape vine layers, which strugeled for a few days and wilted till I figured out they could not support all the leaves on them, so I left only the two top ones on all of them, no problems after that .....

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 10:03:21 AM »
Im sure thats your issue with that graft thats pretty hot! It shouldnt really effect your air layering though since it will still be getting water/nutes as normal. Just dont go to deep on your cuts and youll be good 👍. Did you wrap your whole graft branch in some type of grafting tape? That could help keep moisture in during thoes hot days!
Bill

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:34:37 PM »
Im sure thats your issue with that graft thats pretty hot! It shouldnt really effect your air layering though since it will still be getting water/nutes as normal. Just dont go to deep on your cuts and youll be good 👍. Did you wrap your whole graft branch in some type of grafting tape? That could help keep moisture in during thoes hot days!
yes here are pics of the problematic graft, and an usual graft for comparison , the reason for the leaf fall is surely the layering, since all of the others are looking great .
I havent unwrapped the grafts and they are wrapped pretty good so it cant be that ....the last pic is the usual graft look...

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
I almost forgot to look at the graft i was admiring your grow space!!!! That is very interesting almost looks like a fungus. I see what you mean about not being heat stress. Did you get your cuttings from your own plants? (Maybe contamination in transit or a disese in the doner tree)
Bill

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 07:20:16 AM »
I almost forgot to look at the graft i was admiring your grow space!!!! That is very interesting almost looks like a fungus. I see what you mean about not being heat stress. Did you get your cuttings from your own plants? (Maybe contamination in transit or a disese in the doner tree)
thanks, the weaved wooden board thing was my fathers idea, turned out really nice.
Actually I was thinking it is not the heat directly, bit the air layering part, in which I removed the cambium and bark ,which somehow possibly lead to a sap/water deficiency in the grafted part, and with the heat involved it just cannot support the leaves and they died. It cant be the heat alone, the other 10 grafts all look good.